Zwift Beginner Help

edzy143

Hi guys,

I am looking to get myself set up for Zwift as I see my workload increasing the next couple of months and not really keen on being outside late at night when streets are deserted.

I run about 4 times a week and mountain bike whenever I can. 

I was looking at getting a smart treadmill such as the Everlast Trail but it will take up quite a bit of space and not really sure how Zwift run compares to the cycling and if it will be worth it.

Am I better off getting an entry-level smart trainer for my mountain bike instead, such as the Tacx Satori? I hear another problem is that mtb tyres get destroyed quite quickly, will I need extra wheels?

Any other recommendations would be appreciated. I have a Silverback Sola 4 mountain bike.

Thank you!

Edited by edzy143

Are your options either a treadmill or a bicycle smart trainer?

I have no experience with Zwift run. From what I understand it's free.

My experience is only with wheel-off trainers, and I think it's the way to go. Look at Elite's range of trainers, alternatively Kickr has been serving my household well the last couple of years, with zero issues.

Hi Edzy 

If you are going to use your Mtb on a indoor trainer I would highly recommend getting a spare wheel that has a Mtb Slick on - using a normal Mtb tyre is very loud and becomes very annoying while trying to train and or listen to music at the same time. I would start with an entry level trainer to see how much use your getting out of it before you go and splash out lots of cash on something that could potentially become a very fancy door stop lol You will need to buy a Ant dongle, speed and cadence sensor as well so that Zwift recognizes you effort on a stationary bike. 

Hi guys,

I am looking to get myself set up for Zwift as I see my workload increasing the next couple of months and not really keen on being outside late at night when streets are deserted.

I run about 4 times a week and mountain bike whenever I can. 

I was looking at getting a smart treadmill such as the Everlast Trail but it will take up quite a bit of space and not really sure how Zwift run compares to the cycling and if it will be worth it.

Am I better off getting an entry-level smart trainer for my mountain bike instead, such as the Tacx Satori? I hear another problem is that mtb tyres get destroyed quite quickly, will I need extra wheels?

Any other recommendations would be appreciated. I have a Silverback Sola 4 mountain bike.

Thank you!

No just looking at what makes the most economical sense. Would feel a bit strange paying more for a trainer than what my bike is worth but I also don't want to be penny wise and pound foolish if I end up having to buy so much extra stuff that I could've rather invested in something like the kickr like you mentioned.

Are your options either a treadmill or a bicycle smart trainer?

I have no experience with Zwift run. From what I understand it's free.

My experience is only with wheel-off trainers, and I think it's the way to go. Look at Elite's range of trainers, alternatively Kickr has been serving my household well the last couple of years, with zero issues.

In terms of out the box readiness, the wheel off, bluetooth ant+ capability of the kickr is great.

I'm running zwift on a Iphone7. My garmin reads the power output and distance that gets synched for vitality points.

Once you get into chasing drops and badges in Zwift, you will son find the "mundane"has been removed from indoor training. For me in any case. 

It works for some, and not for others. 

Morning, thanks for the advice! No I can assure you that whatever I buy, I'll definitely use.

Would you recommend getting a cheap trainer with the additional sensors or a semi-smart trainer like the Tacx Satori that already works with Zwift over Bluetooth? 

Based on the prices I've seen, it would work out to about the same

Hi Edzy 

If you are going to use your Mtb on a indoor trainer I would highly recommend getting a spare wheel that has a Mtb Slick on - using a normal Mtb tyre is very loud and becomes very annoying while trying to train and or listen to music at the same time. I would start with an entry level trainer to see how much use your getting out of it before you go and splash out lots of cash on something that could potentially become a very fancy door stop lol You will need to buy a Ant dongle, speed and cadence sensor as well so that Zwift recognizes you effort on a stationary bike. 

For a wheel-on trainer and an MTB, definitely go with a spare wheel, but as it'll only be used on a trainer, you can get any old wheel as long as it's straight. Get the trainer tyre too obviously.

Then there's the option of the smart trainer that controls the resistance, or you can just get a 'dumb trainer' and a left-side power meter for your bike, and get that to transmit to your computer for power. I used this for a a few years and it's fine - you use your gears to alter the resistance and in effect power. A smart trainer is better, but more $$$. The power meter will go with you outdoors too, which can be cool if that's your thing.

The Zwift runs are not bad at all, you can also select different routes etc. They also have group runs but have never done any. You will need a Run Pod if you want to use Zwift.

The IDT will be a better option, Zwift Cycling races and events are alot more fun.

If you not keen on spending 18-20k on something, look at the Wahoo Snap or Saris M2. both will do the job.

Just get a second hand wheel and trainer tyre. This will be cheaper vs having to go the direct drive route.

I’m pretty similar to you.

Run about 5x a week and MTB whenever I have a chance.

For riding I’m using a MTB on a dumb trainer with Powertap power wheel (Road tyre) transmitting via BLT to my IPad.

I got this setup from a friend who upgraded. If I were to start from scratch I’d definitely get a kickr as it’s hassle free and you don’t need a new wheel/tyre.

On the running side I use the Wahoo Tickr X II which does speed, cadence and HR on zwift running. Have a middle of the range treadmill.

If you’re looking for the social aspect, cycling is the way to go because there’s just more interest/activity on zwift for cyclists. You can easily ride 90/120 minutes without feeling bored.

I enjoy the running but I’m a fan of treadmill running in general. That being said it gets a bit boring after an hour because there’s no one to chase and the experience is not the same (algorithm doesn’t adjust your speed for climbs/descents).

cheapest is getting the semi smart trainer and a cheap wheel with either a trainer tyre or a slick.

I would recommend putting a 29er wheel on with a roadbike training tyre as they seem to be cheaper than the mountain bike kind and they work well. This should fit in any frame even if you have an old 26er mtb.

I have been considering zwift recently. I did a bit of reading and it seems like the stuff I have it should work. I don't have a smart trainer, I have the old blue giant one. I have the garmin speed and cadence sensors on my bike that I use for IDT. I have a laptop with bluetooth. I have an HDMI cable to connect laptop to TV. So if I have understood the articles I have read then the above should work.

I see they have a free 7 day trial period, thinking of trying it out. If I do a few rides and realise that my setup is just not worth it then I will have to wait until my wonderful company decides to pay me a salary again and save up for a smart trainer.

No just looking at what makes the most economical sense. Would feel a bit strange paying more for a trainer than what my bike is worth but I also don't want to be penny wise and pound foolish if I end up having to buy so much extra stuff that I could've rather invested in something like the kickr like you mentioned.

Like so many I started with a dumb wheel on trainer .... the buzz drove me crazy.

I do have a friend that use a smart wheel on trainer, but only when the weather keeps him home for a few days.

If your work load means you will be using this for some time, rather invest in a wheel off trainer like the Kickr Core.

My Core is not used often, as the weather and workload is playing along and I get out often enough.  But after a few home days I do start it up.

Worth noting that Zwift is very good at allowing and enabling a monthly membership system.  Somewhere at the start of winter I log in, re-subsrcibe, and minutes later I am cycling.  When the weather turns and I can go out it takes two minutes to log in and stop the subscription.  Even when un-subscribed you get 25km free km per month.  So in the odd case where I want to do 1 or 2 short rides it is available.

I have been considering zwift recently. I did a bit of reading and it seems like the stuff I have it should work. I don't have a smart trainer, I have the old blue giant one. I have the garmin speed and cadence sensors on my bike that I use for IDT. I have a laptop with bluetooth. I have an HDMI cable to connect laptop to TV. So if I have understood the articles I have read then the above should work.

I see they have a free 7 day trial period, thinking of trying it out. If I do a few rides and realise that my setup is just not worth it then I will have to wait until my wonderful company decides to pay me a salary again and save up for a smart trainer.

If you have the older Garmin sensors then you would need the ANT+ dongle.

The new Speed/Cadence 2 sensors have bluetooth

If your work load means you will be using this for some time, rather invest in a wheel off trainer like the Kickr Core.

100% agree with everything you said. I bounce between Rouvy and Zwift but for me a wheel off trainer is a must have.

I've had a few wheel on trainers and no matter what you do the feel of them is just terrible.