I also have an annoying creak

lechatnoir

I fixed a creak that came from an unexpected place.

It sounded like it came from the BB but I knew that it could been from somewhere else. 

After looking many areas of probable cause it turned out the my front skewer was dirty and not tight enough on the wheel.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Had a squeak on my bike a while back that I was convinced was the seatpost, took it out, cleaned and regreased it 3 or 4 times and just couldn't get rid of it, turns out it was actually the saddle rails, I was working in the right area, but not the right part, anyways, after reading somewhere to wrap some inner tube around the rails and then clamp it, I did that and now no more squeaking...

I fixed a creak that came from an unexpected place.

It sounded like it came from the BB but I knew that it could been from somewhere else. 

After looking many areas of probable cause it turned out the my front skewer was dirty and not tight enough on the wheel.

That and grub screws. 

So bravo to Complete Cyclist for tracking this malaise down. Turns out it's the drive side crank arm - Ultegra R8000. They put a Tiagra one on, and it's Silence of the Lambs...

There are reports of failing Ultegra cranks out there...  :huh:

Came in here tentatively looking for information about your annoying ‘crack’....was dissaponted to find out I misread the title ????☺️

Edited by morneS555

So bravo to Complete Cyclist for tracking this malaise down. Turns out it's the drive side crank arm - Ultegra R8000. They put a Tiagra one on, and it's Silence of the Lambs...

There are reports of failing Ultegra cranks out there...  :huh:

Was just reading about these issues an hour ago and thought I better post and suggest on the off chance. But nah it can't be that not with a Shimano crank

was a also thinking headset but stoked you found the issue.

I now feel like a qualified bike mechanic.  I fixed all me creaks with the cleaning of the BB and the seat post, also tightening all the bolts.   

I did it without help from Mr Google or Dr LBS.

#feelingproud