2021 Stumpjumper Rant

T_Boss

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You have got to be kidding? There are plenty of of trail bike worthy trails in SA. Especially in WC and KZN. Have you ridden Tokai, Jonkershoek, Helderberg, Giba, Cascades, erc? Maybe not 180mm enduro bike worthy, but definitely slack geo, mid travel, and burlier build with a dropper worth.

At the end of the day who cares what someone rides? What annoys me is when someone knows what they want (whether that is an enduro, trail, or XC bike) and someone tries to convince them otherwise.

I have walked into a shop (not Spez, although I have seen it play out there too) with a friend who wanted a trail bike. The sales guy tried his very best to convince him that a Scalpel is the best tool for the job because it is light, pedals well, etc - which I am sure it does - but he wanted a trail bike and doesn't care about weight and efficiency. He ended up buying elsewhere. I have ridden my dual suspension XC bikein Jonkers and all the other above mentioned places - it could do it, but it was not half the fun it was on my trail bike. Point is, get the bike that suits the riding you do. And if I know what that is, I really don't want someone in a shop telling me actually I want an Epic.

Even worse, when someone walks into a shop and they ask for advice and say I ride X, Y and Z trail that's a bit steeper and techy, I want to learn to jump a bit and maybe do an enduro or two next year, I just ride for the fun of it - do not sell them an Epic Evo, they need a Stumpy! This I actually witnessed with my own eyes in Spez Stellenbosch in December 2020 - I assume because at that point there were no Stumpies. I really struggled to bite my tongue and not chip in from the side.

The same goes the other way, if someone says the do 36One, ride gravel roads, and long stretched of tar, they value efficiency and light weight, etc. someone should not convince them to buy a trail bike. Just listed to what the customer wants/needs, not what you think they need.

Slightly off topic, but focused on what sales staff try and sell

The good old lbs that used to be at canal walk

The senior person tells a client looking at new bikes, while discussing a particular hardtail on the floor, Fox suspension is fading out ... just look at all the bikes I have here, they are all RS! 

Sales staff like this should only be allowed to sweep the showroom floor and not interact with clientele.

When I left school I worked in an LBS, it is not very hard to educate yourself on the products you sell and the industry as a whole.

Thanks Bobby

Really good that you guys are responding to customers. I hope I can afford one of those Stumpjumpers when they land, definitely on my shortlist.

Hello All,

I was just pointed to this thread by a friend. This is Bobby Behan from Specialized Bicycles Africa. To confirm certain points in the thread we initially brought the Stumpjumper Base and S-Works Stumpjumper Frame to market. However, a couple of months ago we ordered various other Stumpjumper models which will arrive towards the middle of this year, providing there are no COVID-19 curveballs! 

I myself am a very passionate trail rider, invest personal time into Jonkershoek's Trails, working closely with trail builder Bennet Nel, a good friend. I completely get the passion and excitement around trail riding ... I share the stoke!

You are most welcome to call me at the office (021 808 7333). Would be only too happy to chat further.

Have top weekends,

Bobby.