2021 Stumpjumper Rant

T_Boss

I think we are speaking to ourselves here and we a small portion of the riding population.

Just my observation and can only speak to my own experience with the cyclists i know.

most would never venture on to any dirt road and if they do its an experimental phase at best.

And of those that do start riding MTB, many of them fear crashing, getting hurt etc. They comfortable with long days on jeep tracks ( growing gravel market segment). A few green/blue graded single tracks is perfectly fine to them and have no ambition to ride anything more technical.

for this an xc bike makes sense.

only very few this batch of riders want to challenge themselves with more technical riding.

This is reflected in our mtb racing scene. Our marathon and stage races are not technical enough that makes people question whether there xc machine is perhaps out of its depth. 

IMO

Most people who ride an MTB are just gravel riders - and that's perfectly fine

so called "true" MTB riders are far and few.

I agree in general with your comments, but I’m interested to know what defines a true MTB rider?

Does riding a bike with massive amounts of front and rear suspension travel and a dropper seat post on “technical” trails make someone more of a mtb rider than a skinny XCO / XCM racing snake riding occasionally technical sections with 100mm of front suspension and no dropper?

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello All,

I was just pointed to this thread by a friend. This is Bobby Behan from Specialized Bicycles Africa. To confirm certain points in the thread we initially brought the Stumpjumper Base and S-Works Stumpjumper Frame to market. However, a couple of months ago we ordered various other Stumpjumper models which will arrive towards the middle of this year, providing there are no COVID-19 curveballs!

I myself am a very passionate trail rider, invest personal time into Jonkershoek's Trails, working closely with trail builder Bennet Nel, a good friend. I completely get the passion and excitement around trail riding ... I share the stoke!

You are most welcome to call me at the office (021 808 7333). Would be only too happy to chat further.

Have top weekends,

Bobby.

Thanks for the update, great news for the trail shredders Bobby!

I agree in general with your comments, but I’m interested to know what defines a true MTB rider?

Does riding a bike with massive amounts of front and rear suspension travel and a dropper seat post on “technical” trails make someone more of a mtb rider than a skinny XCO / XCM racing snake riding occasionally technical sections with 100mm of front suspension and no dropper?

Personal view, MTB is terrain you ride and not defined by the bike.

This would include going up and down.

If you riding district gravel roads/farm roads that a citi golf can ride then i do not regard it as MTB. I am not being snobbish here and got big respect for riders putting in big km's on such rides whether its on a gravel bike or a dual sus LT bike  - but I wouldnt define it as MTB.

To me MTB is riding on more "adventurous" terrain where clearly a more lets say light trail bike/DC bike would be the best tool for the job for most people.

(This statement doesn't apply to skilled riders ripping black diamonds on XC bikes like pros)

If you riding any MTB bike on a mix of tar and gravel then I wouldn't regard it as MTB. I would just call it gravel riding but with the lets say "not the best" tool for the job.

Im not judging/hating anyone who wants to ride an XC or even Enduro bike on gravel most of the time. Ride what you want on whatever terrain you want.

My post was just in statement that in the larger populace of riders (my personal view and experience), most who own a MTB dont really "MTB". So to expect them to invest in a Stumpy wouldnt make sense - Thus the whole point on why Spez is pushing Epics and not having stumpies available - hence me saying we speaking to ourselves and we a minority.

if you wanted to push Stumpy sales then the people who are currently buying Epics (insert any other XC bike) will need to have a change in mindset - i meant this as a point where these riders would actually want to ride "MTB" as defined by me.

This statement wasn't meant to say they have to change but more in relation if you want to increase demand (and therefore stimulate the increase in supply) for the stumpy(or any other equivalent bike) 

Edited by YaseenEnos

Personal view, MTB is terrain you ride and not defined by the bike.

This would include going up and down.

If you riding district gravel roads/farm roads that a citi golf can ride then i do not regard it as MTB. I am not being snobbish here and got big respect for riders putting in big km's on such rides whether its on a gravel bike or a dual sus LT bike - but I wouldnt define it as MTB.

To me MTB is riding on more "adventurous" terrain where clearly a more lets say light trail bike/DC bike would be the best tool for the job for most people.

(This statement doesn't apply to skilled riders ripping black diamonds on XC bikes like pros)

If you riding any MTB bike on a mix of tar and gravel then I wouldn't regard it as MTB. I would just call it gravel riding but with the lets say "not the best" tool for the job.

Im not judging/hating anyone who wants to ride an XC or even Enduro bike on gravel most of the time. Ride what you want on whatever terrain you want.

My post was just in statement that in the larger populace of riders (my personal view and experience), most who own a MTB dont really "MTB". So to expect them to invest in a Stumpy wouldnt make sense - Thus the whole point on why Spez is pushing Epics and not having stumpies available - hence me saying we speaking to ourselves and we a minority.

if you wanted to push Stumpy sales then the people who are currently buying Epics (insert any other XC bike) will need to have a change in mindset - i meant this as a point where these riders would actually want to ride "MTB" as defined by me.

This statement wasn't meant to say they have to change but more in relation if you want to increase demand (and therefore stimulate the increase in supply) for the stumpy(or any other equivalent bike)

Time to spoof that Scott, or looking at a trail bike ????

Also get a new riding crew... ????

Time to spoof that Scott, or looking at a trail bike

Also get a new riding crew...

yeah need to level up

I'd say someone who can do them all petty competently is a real mtber.

Anybody not riding my style and my choice of mountain bike should not call himself a mtb'er!

I dont think the problem sits with the dealers/distributors/manufacturers. They only offer what they believe has sufficient demand.

Its the mindset of the customer base that need to change.

How do you get someone who is ready to purchase a XC bike to buy a trail bike?

Why would the majority of SA riders want a trail bike? there are so few trails in SA that require this sort of machine. 90% of our trails are green / blue or manicured paths. for that even an XC bike is overkill. I don't see anyone doing serious trail riding anymore. Damn dual sussers are not even needed any more.

Why would the majority of SA riders want a trail bike? there are so few trails in SA that require this sort of machine. 90% of our trails are green / blue or manicured paths. for that even an XC bike is overkill. I don't see anyone doing serious trail riding anymore. Damn dual sussers are not even needed any more.

Hugh??

Not sure where you ride, but I do know we havent had it as good as now in terms of proper trails, well built jumps etc. And thats through out the entire country

You have got to be kidding? There are plenty of of trail bike worthy trails in SA. Especially in WC and KZN. Have you ridden Tokai, Jonkershoek, Helderberg, Giba, Cascades, erc? Maybe not 180mm enduro bike worthy, but definitely slack geo, mid travel, and burlier build with a dropper worth.

At the end of the day who cares what someone rides? What annoys me is when someone knows what they want (whether that is an enduro, trail, or XC bike) and someone tries to convince them otherwise.

I have walked into a shop (not Spez, although I have seen it play out there too) with a friend who wanted a trail bike. The sales guy tried his very best to convince him that a Scalpel is the best tool for the job because it is light, pedals well, etc - which I am sure it does - but he wanted a trail bike and doesn't care about weight and efficiency. He ended up buying elsewhere. I have ridden my dual suspension XC bikein Jonkers and all the other above mentioned places - it could do it, but it was not half the fun it was on my trail bike. Point is, get the bike that suits the riding you do. And if I know what that is, I really don't want someone in a shop telling me actually I want an Epic.

Even worse, when someone walks into a shop and they ask for advice and say I ride X, Y and Z trail that's a bit steeper and techy, I want to learn to jump a bit and maybe do an enduro or two next year, I just ride for the fun of it - do not sell them an Epic Evo, they need a Stumpy! This I actually witnessed with my own eyes in Spez Stellenbosch in December 2020 - I assume because at that point there were no Stumpies. I really struggled to bite my tongue and not chip in from the side.

The same goes the other way, if someone says the do 36One, ride gravel roads, and long stretched of tar, they value efficiency and light weight, etc. someone should not convince them to buy a trail bike. Just listed to what the customer wants/needs, not what you think they need.

Edited by Grease_Monkey

You have got to be kidding? There are plenty of of trail bike worthy trails in SA. Especially in WC and KZN. Have you ridden Tokai, Jonkershoek, Helderberg, Giba, Cascades, erc? Maybe not 180mm enduro bike worthy, but definitely slack geo, mid travel, and burlier build with a dropper worth.

At the end of the day who cares what someone rides? What annoys me is when someone knows what they want (whether that is an enduro, trail, or XC bike) and someone tries to convince them otherwise.

I have walked into a shop (not Spez, although I have seen it play out there too) with a friend who wanted a trail bike. The sales guy tried his very best to convince him that a Scalpel is the best tool for the job because it is light, pedals well, etc - which I am sure it does - but he wanted a trail bike and doesn't care about weight and efficiency. He ended up buying elsewhere. I have ridden my dual suspension XC bikein Jonkers and all the other above mentioned places - it could do it, but it was not half the fun it was on my trail bike. I was also alot slower going up. Point is, get the bike that suits the riding you do. And if I know what that is, I really don't want someone in a shop telling me actually I want an Epic.

Even worse, when someone walks into a shop and they ask for advice and say I ride X, Y and Z trail that's a bit steeper and techy, I want to learn to jump a bit and maybe do an enduro or two next year, I just ride for the fun of it - do not sell them an Epic Evo, they need a Stumpy! This I actually witnessed with my own eyes in Spez Stellenbosch in December 2020 - I assume because at that point there were no Stumpies. I really struggled to bite my tongue and not chip in from the side.

Overbiking helps if you underskilled, just saying

...(silently rides off on my 170mm bike)

Overbiking helps if you underskilled, just saying

...(silently rides off on my 170mm bike)

Haha sure, it does! Point is, you want a big bike, buy it. You want a 100mm bike, buy that.

(... says me, my previous bike being a 17kg, 160mm coil shocked monster hahaha)