Rear shock oil leak

robertbreyer

So I have an almost-new Specialized Turbo Levo. 3 months old, maybe 20 rides.  The rear shock is showing some worrying oil seepage. Is this normal or is the seal gone? 

- Robert

post-138872-0-57251400-1604031036_thumb.jpg

If you've never cleaned it in the 20 rides you've done, then that would be understandable. But that shouldn't be normal, negligent maybe.

If it has been wiped and looks like that after a ride or two, then you have an issue. But 20 rides is relative. It could be 20 hrs (in which case it should not look like that,) or it could be 100 hrs of riding, in which case it needs a service anyway.

That is a dirty mix of oil and dust, and it is forming a grinding paste. Highly damaging grinding paste.

It also looks like you are not using all your travel. If you are only riding road or gravel, then that seems right, if you have been riding trails and only using 30% of your travel, ask the shop to help you with suspension setup.

Edited by PhilipV

If you've never cleaned it in the 20 rides you've done, then that would be understandable. But that shouldn't be normal, negligent maybe.

If it has been wiped and looks like that after a ride or two, then you have an issue. But 20 rides is relative. It could be 20 hrs (in which case it should not look like that,) or it could be 100 hrs of riding, in which case it needs a service anyway.

That is a dirty mix of oil and dust, and it is forming a grinding paste. Highly damaging grinding paste.

It also looks like you are not using all your travel. If you are only riding road or gravel, then that seems right, if you have been riding trails and only using 30% of your travel, ask the shop to help you with suspension setup.

Where in a shock is the oil?

That is grease.

That is grease.

Rockshox tend to use SRAM butter grease on the seals with about 2ml. Approx 1ml  below the air piston and another 1ml on top of the piston.

Edited by Alouette3

That is grease.

Air can has oil as lubricant. Damper uses oil.if any of the seals are damaged or installed incorrectly it will leak out.

If the OP has never cleaned his shock then that may be grease from the initial build, but if it has been cleaned regularly and looks like that, the shock is leaking.

No one gonna mention that OP seems to only use 30% of travel?

Air can has oil as lubricant. Damper uses oil.if any of the seals are damaged or installed incorrectly it will leak out.

If the OP has never cleaned his shock then that may be grease from the initial build, but if it has been cleaned regularly and looks like that, the shock is leaking.

It uses SRAM butter. No oil there

Even if you service it then only 1-2ml as Lubrication not a big amount. What you there is grease no oil

Shock has been wiped clean before.

So this is not all grease or oil from day 0.

And yes my the rider wasn't used all the travel. Person riding it the last few times is much lighter. Thanks for pointing that I out but I don't quite see the relevance?

Wipe it clean after ever ride and monitor. If its leaving that much residue after every ride I would look at maybe getting an air can service. 

The aircan should typically have 5ml or less of oil inside for lubrication, this oil will leak out if the seals are still fine but extremely slowly

Not that much as in the picture even after a few rides

My best guess would be that whoever did the last service put in way too much lube oil

Another option is that it's damper oil thats alot thinner than the lube

If you know how to properly test the damper do it and then you should know which above situation you might be in

Wipe clean with hand sanitiser. Go for a ride and post a pic here after please.

can't tell if it's normal or not without a proper reference as Phillip suggests