Suspension seat post

Grant Prince

What is your thoughts on the suspension seat posts on a hardtail MTB?

I think of Will help absorbing small bumps making a ride bit smoother. Any specific brand or model anyone can suggest?

I think of Will help absorbing small bumps making a ride bit smoother. Any specific brand or model anyone can suggest?

The spez one works well with small bump dampening for me

Good day

I would not. Those seat posts never worked very well and adds extra weight and maintenance to the bike.

For small bumps, I went for a saddle with titanium seat rails and the widest tire I could fit in the frame. Rear tire pressure as low as possible with out hitting the rim.

• 2 weeks later...

Satori Suspension seatpost - I like it. Looks like a dropper post and I think it works quite well for the small bumps. 

Paid like R500 bucks for this thing. You get normal alloy posts that cost as much as this, so I figured it's worth trying out.

post-93240-0-78879700-1605080157_thumb.jpg

post-93240-0-17050900-1605080172_thumb.jpg

knock yourself out   https://bikepacking.com/index/suspension-seatposts/

another option is a setback seatpost, lots more flex

Good day

I would not. Those seat posts never worked very well and adds extra weight and maintenance to the bike.

For small bumps, I went for a saddle with titanium seat rails and the widest tire I could fit in the frame. Rear tire pressure as low as possible with out hitting the rim.

I got a thudbuster LT on my carbon hardtail, it's not coming off.

doesn't add much weight or maintenance.and wider tyres will add more weight anyway

bunch of tradeoffs, if it works for you then go for it

Satori Suspension seatpost - I like it. Looks like a dropper post and I think it works quite well for the small bumps. 

Paid like R500 bucks for this thing. You get normal alloy posts that cost as much as this, so I figured it's worth trying out.

those are normally crap, you can get really cheapos on citybikes.

having never used a suspension seatpost, I would imagine that peddaling over rough terain would be a little bit *** with one of these. 

I mean, as the post flexes, the distance between your seat and the cranks will constantly be changing, which will ruin your peddle stroke and effeciency? Or am I missing something?

Is this not really more suited as a bit of a gimmick on commuter and city bikes?

on a hardtail, 2.35 or wider rear tire, running at the correct pressure should be more than sufficient, and will improve the ride both in and our of the saddle. Then for washboard roads (sinkplaatpad), again, tire pressure, plus a good seat, plus good chamois should be enough. A carbon seatpost on a hardtail can also take out a lot of the harshness. 

Rather fit fatter tyres and a comfy saddle with a  dropper seatpost. Suspension seatposts look odd and  change the distance between your saddle and pedals as they move up and down which can't feel great. Its the ultra primitive version of a unified rear triangle suspension system. 

having never used a suspension seatpost, I would imagine that peddaling over rough terain would be a little bit *** with one of these. 

I mean, as the post flexes, the distance between your seat and the cranks will constantly be changing, which will ruin your peddle stroke and effeciency? Or am I missing something?

Is this not really more suited as a bit of a gimmick on commuter and city bikes?

on a hardtail, 2.35 or wider rear tire, running at the correct pressure should be more than sufficient, and will improve the ride both in and our of the saddle. Then for washboard roads (sinkplaatpad), again, tire pressure, plus a good seat, plus good chamois should be enough. A carbon seatpost on a hardtail can also take out a lot of the harshness. 

.... washboard roads (sinkplaatpad) .....

Anyone that took part in the Karoobaix where no suspension components was allowed will remember these ..... nearly 400km (2017) and the majority of those roads were sinkplaatpad ....

aaaaa ... but what memories ... thank you Stan for bringing us the Karoobaix

ref: https://crank-communication.com/gravel-race-report-karoobaix-2017/

Any kind of suspension would have eased the pain ...  :D 

ps. I've been looking at your tours too T-Boss .... as soon as I have enough leave built up I'd love to join you on a Rightersveld MTB trip too 

I have used the cheap Aliexpress one, it works well for the price. Has about five cm of travel, you don't really notice it, but when you go back to normal seatpost you do notice that the suspension is gone.

It basically makes the seat feel a little softer. Total mass is about 0.5 kilos.

post-9767-0-86244000-1605173150_thumb.jpeg

Rather fit fatter tyres and a comfy saddle with a  dropper seatpost. Suspension seatposts look odd and  change the distance between your saddle and pedals as they move up and down which can't feel great. Its the ultra primitive version of a unified rear triangle suspension system. 

https://youtu.be/0VZpjLztJBM?t=41

for this exact reason you will see all the good ones have a parralelogram linkage, so this is not the case. cheapest option is the Suntour one

sr-suntour-ncx-suspension-seatpost_1.jpg

Edited by Shebeen

https://youtu.be/0VZpjLztJBM?t=41

for this exact reason you will see all the good ones have a parralelogram linkage, so this is not the case. cheapest option is the Suntour one

sr-suntour-ncx-suspension-seatpost_1.jpg

Oof, that is fuggly and it must still lower the seat slightly as it cycles.  A dropper post is far more beneficial and allows you to take a bit of weight off your ass if you lower it slightly for short periods.

Oof, that is fuggly and it must still lower the seat slightly as it cycles. A dropper post is far more beneficial and allows you to take a bit of weight off your ass if you lower it slightly for short periods.

I use both on my bike interchangeably. The Aliexpress seatpost is much more comfortable, the length of the post changing as you ride is not an issue at all. At the moment I have the dropper post on my bike, it makes you a lot quicker in single track, also it feels faster on the long climbs. I do change the height a lot when I ride on the dropper to try get some comfort, but comfort wise there is no comparison, the Aliexpress seatpost is miles ahead.