Help choose R40k Dual Sus MTB

Wimmas

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The sram level brakes receives mixed reviews and the general recommendation will be to go xt.

On one of my bikes I do have the Avid Elixir 5, I call the daddy of level, also known as turkey wobble.

Have served me very well, can only recall one day with brake fade, but my training partner on R1’s also had.

My preferred brakes are slx, but the brakes will be dependable on groupset, like matchy matchy.

Enjoy the process, best of luck with decision and enjoy your new bike.

Ps. The bike that makes you want to go ride, thats the bike.

I was riding 2014 xtr brakes, moved to the new level ultimates. The xtr are superior by a fair bit. I have overshot a few of my corners with the ultimate that the xtr took care of.

I was riding 2014 xtr brakes, moved to the new level ultimates. The xtr are superior by a fair bit. I have overshot a few of my corners with the ultimate that the xtr took care of.

Are you using the same compound brake pads? Resin / Sintered? Same rotor size and properly bedded in?

Might be all in the mind, however, I feel like although this thing weighs more than my hardtail, it climbs like a feather and descends like a machine. It is a beast and rolls over everything I throw at it. Feels super stiff and solid, and minovery to me.

Have not properly ripped it yet as the rain has been a problem here in Gauteng this weekend. Next weekend I will push it to the limits:

IMG-20201122-144143.jpg

IMG-20201122-144149.jpg

IMG-20201122-144158.jpg

IMG-20201122-144236.jpg

IMG-20201122-144244.jpg

IMG-20201122-144251.jpg

IMG-20201122-144257.jpg

IMG-20201122-144305.jpg

She's a beaut! I also had the AL1 a few months back and was surprised by the performance. Especially up the hills, as you pointed out. I think it's mainly due to the POP geometry.

Personally I wouldn't change anything on that bike to make it lighter. It really is good enough just as it is. If something is klaar, then you can probably replace with something lighter if you want. However the bike wasn't designed to be a light bike in my opinion.

I just found that I'm still more XC orientated and opted for the Superspeed instead. If I had to go back to a trail bike, this would also be one of the first bikes I'd consider again.

Enjoy!

When those Crossmark II tyres are finished, that would be a good place to cut some grams.  Although better than the first Crossmarks, they are still pretty hefty, exactly in the place you don't want it.