Help needed, carrying 5 bicycles on a bakkie.

Mountain Goat

post-14749-0-26317200-1605699446_thumb.jpg

This gets you 5 bikes, any type, any size.  Not much space left obviously, but you should be able to get a few bags between the rear wheels and the end of the load bin.

bike carrier.jpg

This gets you 5 bikes, any type, any size. Not much space left obviously, but you should be able to get a few bags between the rear wheels and the end of the load bin.

I was going to suggest the same until I saw he had to transport 5 people plus baggage plus bikes. I had this setup for a while - super convenient. And yes it fits 5 bikes and 5 people, but in a double cab that leaves you with no space whatsoever for any luggage or kit. My suggestion would be skitch rack + 4 Thule pro rides, and then a cheapie Thule hang on rack for the 5 bike to go onto the tow bar. I also have the skitch rack with 3 Thule pro rides currently fitted to my bakkie - I would be able to fit a 4th bike, but it's tight. You have to turn handlebars, drop saddles, and really struggle to fit things.

I have a SecuriLid with their own racks - https://securi-lid.co.za/product/cari-on-rack-set/

The Thule racks fit on those with a slight modification to the T-bolts to trim off 1mm but that's 15 seconds with a grinder

Securilid fitted my racks, trimmed the bolts and lined everything up which made it very easy but I did it myself on my previous bakkie and it's very straightforward.

Edited by Edge_Design

Saw one of these, fully loaded, on Saturday at Bloemendal

It looks nice .... BUT, that is two to three times the allowable weight on the towbar .... maybe with a stronger custom 4x4 towbar setup ....

The weight rating on the rack seems like it can handle it, but I also had the same concern about the towbar.

Seems like most tow bars have a vertical / static limit of 90kg, depending on the vehicle, etc. So with 5 15kg bikes (75kg) it's still ok. I'd be a bit nervous though going over a pothole!

Seems like most tow bars have a vertical / static limit of 90kg, depending on the vehicle, etc. So with 5 15kg bikes (75kg) it's still ok. I'd be a bit nervous though going over a pothole!

Factor in the weight of the rack too. Doesn't look light at all.

Saw one of these, fully loaded, on Saturday at Bloemendal

It looks nice .... BUT, that is two to three times the allowable weight on the towbar .... maybe with a stronger custom 4x4 towbar setup ....

The ranger towbar has a static limit of 250kg. These shuttle type racks will work on proper strong towbar, as fitted on most bakkies and bakkie based SUVs, but most small and medium cars won't be able to load it, and putting 5 bikes so far behind a Polo will seriously affect it's handling.

But the OP has a bakkie. A shuttle rack or a roof rack coupled with a roll top deck will work perfectly well.

But most of the shuttle type racks need to into a square hitch receiver, like the Hilux tow bars, and won't fit onto a towball like the thule racks we see here.

Edited by PhilipV