Help me with gravel wheel choice

Dirt Tracker

So I need a 'new' gravel wheelset and have a couple of options but would appreciate a bit of a feedback.

Budget is quite tight so I've got max R7K. Going to couple them with some WTB Riddler tyres. Most riding will be around CT / Table Mountain / Tokai probably a 70 / 30 split for the rough stuff verses road. 

Options are: 

- Rapide Gravel Set: 

https://www.rapide.co.za/product/rapide-gr29-25-sl-gravel-wheelset/

- Mavic Allroad: 

https://www.cwcycles.co.za/product/mavic-allroad-elite-ust-gravel-wheelset

- Hope 20Five

Obviously I'd like to spend R5k not R7K+ but I've been struggling to find any decent sets for around that money. Any help would be heartily appreciated. 

So I need a 'new' gravel wheelset and have a couple of options but would appreciate a bit of a feedback.

Budget is quite tight so I've got max R7K. Going to couple them with some WTB Riddler tyres. Most riding will be around CT / Table Mountain / Tokai probably a 70 / 30 split for the rough stuff verses road. 

Options are: 

- Rapide Gravel Set: 

- Mavic Allroad: 

- Hope 20Five

Obviously I'd like to spend R5k not R7K+ but I've been struggling to find any decent sets for around that money. Any help would be heartily appreciated. 

I have the rapides. I don't know anything about the others but can at least tell you my experience so far:

1. They've done 1,400km so far without any issues. This included one trip with about 18kg loaded onto a rear rack. So far so good. 
  2. They make a bit of a "buzz" from the freewheel, although not quite Hope/Chrisking hub noise level.
  3. They don't like panaracer gravelking tyres. Honestly it was close to impossible to get those tyres on and even then I couldn't get them to seal. I switched to specialized pathfinder and its a 2 minute job.  

I have the rapides. I don't know anything about the others but can at least tell you my experience so far:

1. They've done 1,400km so far without any issues. This included one trip with about 18kg loaded onto a rear rack. So far so good. 
  2. They make a bit of a "buzz" from the freewheel, although not quite Hope/Chrisking hub noise level.
  3. They don't like panaracer gravelking tyres. Honestly it was close to impossible to get those tyres on and even then I couldn't get them to seal. I switched to specialized pathfinder and its a 2 minute job.  

Rapides for me as well. Managed to fit Gravelkings in 43c perfectly fine.

Rapides for me as well. Managed to fit Gravelkings in 43c perfectly fine.

Oh I should add that I was trying the 38 SKs. Not sure if that would have made a big difference. 

Genuine question. Why not go with a narrowish set of 29" wheels like these:

Mavic Crossmax XL NON Boost | Bike Hub

Or these:

ZTR Arch Ex with Hope Hubs | Bike Hub

No real reason. I just hadn’t found a decent set in CT.

TBH first choice would be a strong set of MTB rims on hopes as I plan on using these at places on single track more than fire roads.

Edited by Dirt Tracker

I've been running a set of Rapide TR25's for about 4 and a half years now:- got them before gravel bikes were a thing, but fat tyre drop bar bikes were a thing that I have always wanted. 

So far I have done 12,000km on them. 1,600km of the 12k were in Japan, fully loaded with my bike, food and gear weighing around 45kgs and me weighing 106kgs. Most of the weight was loaded onto the rear wheel, and it didn't like that as it started moaning at me about 4 weeks into the Japan tour... but a service, true and tension sorted that out. 

I vouch for the rapide products, and I am pretty biased towards them because in all the kilometers I have done so far they have given me little to no trouble. 

I have also ridden them on Table Mountain, Kirstenbosch and Tokai will be next.

I ran the wheelset tubed on the road with 32mm Spez Roubaix Pro tyres, I ran them tubeless off-road with Vittoria Adventure Trail tyres. I toured on 35mm Schwalbe marathon Supreme tyres with tubes, coz they exploded off the rim when set up tubeless at 3 bar and I had sealant all over my bedroom afterwards.

Now I have left them with the 42mm Adventure Trail tyres and tubeless. I have a Prime RR28 wheelset set up tubeless with 38mm Panaracer Gravel King slicks for the road now.

But the feedback I always give is, "it depends on you, the type of riding that you want to do and the type of riding you actually do."

If you weigh a ton like I do, and abuse (i.e. use it well and demand a lot from) your equipment:- 32-spoke front and rear, big volume tyres, serviceable hubs. Versatile, durable and pretty lightweight before you start adding rotors, cassette and tyres. 

By the looks of it, that Rapide gravel wheelset is a 28-hole version of the wheelset that I have got. 

But so long as you don't go for a ultra lightweight 16/20 hole wheelset, you can't really go wrong when choosing wheels. 

Happy shopping!

post-41725-0-47641900-1537541788_thumb.jpg

post-41725-0-94903900-1501593789_thumb.jpg

I've been running a set of Rapide TR25's for about 4 and a half years now:- got them before gravel bikes were a thing, but fat tyre drop bar bikes were a thing that I have always wanted.

So far I have done 12,000km on them. 1,600km of the 12k were in Japan, fully loaded with my bike, food and gear weighing around 45kgs and me weighing 106kgs. Most of the weight was loaded onto the rear wheel, and it didn't like that as it started moaning at me about 4 weeks into the Japan tour... but a service, true and tension sorted that out.

I vouch for the rapide products, and I am pretty biased towards them because in all the kilometers I have done so far they have given me little to no trouble.

I ran the wheelset tubed on the road with 32mm Spez Roubaix Pro tyres, I ran them tubeless off-road with Vittoria Adventure Trail tyres. I toured on 35mm Schwalbe marathon Supreme tyres with tubes, coz they exploded off the rim when set up tubeless at 3 bar and I had sealant all over my bedroom afterwards.

Now I have left them with the 42mm Adventure Trail tyres and tubeless. I have a Prime RR28 wheelset set up tubeless with 38mm Panaracer Gravel King slicks for the road now.

But the feedback I always give is, "it depends on you, the type of riding that you want to do and the type of riding you actually do."

If you weigh a ton like I do, and abuse (i.e. use it well and demand a lot from) your equipment:- 32-spoke front and rear, big volume tyres, serviceable hubs. Versatile, durable and pretty lightweight before you start adding rotors, cassette and tyres.

By the looks of it, that Rapide gravel wheelset is a 28-hole version of the wheelset that I have got.

But so long as you don't go for a ultra lightweight 16/20 hole wheelset, you can't really go wrong when choosing wheels.

Happy shopping!

Sounds like these are the wheels for Dirt Tracker and you only hear good things about Rapides service

Yeah just popped a set of TR25s on my gravel bike. Im 120kgs so a good test. Theyve held up super well, sound good without being obnoxious, and true as the day i got them. Did the Rooibos2muisbos a while back, and they held up depsite loose sand, rocky descents, and some questionable paths... On Sawtooth 42c tyres.

Options are: 

- Rapide Gravel Set: 

- Mavic Allroad: 

- Hope 20Five

What is your time frame?

We will be launching dedicated DT Swiss gravel wheels next year if you are still in the market by then...

Happy shopping!

Nice Mercer and thanks for the reply. Well thanks to everyone who took time to give some input. Definitely leaning towards the Rapides at the moment. Had good dealing s with them previously and customer service is always top notch. 

Thanks all. 

What is your time frame?

We will be launching dedicated DT Swiss gravel wheels next year if you are still in the market by then...

Sounds good but I think I want to get the new build finished before Christmas to session Harkerville. 

Yeah just popped a set of TR25s on my gravel bike. Im 120kgs so a good test. Theyve held up super well, sound good without being obnoxious, and true as the day i got them. Did the Rooibos2muisbos a while back, and they held up depsite loose sand, rocky descents, and some questionable paths... On Sawtooth 42c tyres.

How did those sawtooth go? Sounds like it was pretty decent trails and I would usually be thinking of something burly like the WTB revolt or Raddler. I've not got the Riddlers yet but I've heard good things but have always been a fan of Spez rubber on my mtbs.  

How did those sawtooth go? Sounds like it was pretty decent trails and I would usually be thinking of something burly like the WTB revolt or Raddler. I've not got the Riddlers yet but I've heard good things but have always been a fan of Spez rubber on my mtbs.

For that ride? I dont think any tyre would have helped with some of the sandy patches... If i had to get off and push, so did the Mtbs around me.

And generally, i really like the sawtooths! They feel like a fat road tyre on tarmac, very little drag, but offroad im just constantly surprised at what they will grip through. Only the steepest climbs, out the saddle, and pushing hard do i lose traction... I will likely replace with the same, possibly with some 45c next time just for extra cushion.