[Event] 2021 Imbuko Big Five MTB Challenge

Gravel Travel Events

Is this the old Gravel Travel through Wellington, up and over Bainskloof and then that 20km descent back to the start?

Last time I raced that I won the SS division (it was a real thing) and took my whole family away to a private game lodge for a weekend.

It was awesome.

I could be swayed to come back and do that again... on a real bike though

Yeah kind of, this route crosses many of the old Gravel Travel tracks, basically all the old Welvenpas Black, yellow, blue & white single tracks & so much more that have been added in recent times.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah kind of, this route crosses many of the old Gravel Travel tracks, basically all the old Welvenpas Black, yellow, blue & white single tracks & so much more that have been added in recent times.

Oh sick... I loved those trails

I might make a turn here

Oh sick... I loved those trails

I might make a turn here

.....I do not know all the names of the various trails, but there was one unique change in last year's route, which was let's say....."interesting".....

It was a downhill trail, which we did in reverse.....on tired legs nogal.  Eina Eina, continues little switchback-back-breakers !!   Just ads to the whole event and being so so special !!  

Def lining up again next year, unprepared as always ! 

Trailseekers vs Legseekers

Entered...Will be my first attempt at this race...

May be over my head. Lets hope i finish

My 2 cents from what I've learnt at the marathon races I did last year : pace yourself, stop when you feel like it at the water points to refuel (sweets, water, etc) and think about enjoying yourself more than pushing yourself. It's going to make the ride much more enjoyable and you'll finish in better shape (and probably even faster than if you blew up in the last 20km, having to stop on the side of the trail to eat whatever gels you had in your pockets and push it down halfway with the half a bottle you have left)

The 2 mins you'll lose to refill your bottles, smash some jelly babies/potatoes/whatever is there are going to be worth it later, and you'll probably make them up on the next climb. 

My 2 cents from what I've learnt at the marathon races I did last year : pace yourself, stop when you feel like it at the water points to refuel (sweets, water, etc) and think about enjoying yourself more than pushing yourself. It's going to make the ride much more enjoyable and you'll finish in better shape (and probably even faster than if you blew up in the last 20km, having to stop on the side of the trail to eat whatever gels you had in your pockets and push it down halfway with the half a bottle you have left)

The 2 mins you'll lose to refill your bottles, smash some jelly babies/potatoes/whatever is there are going to be worth it later, and you'll probably make them up on the next climb. 

Fully agree - I have one bottle cage and don't do cambleback or the second bottle cage behind the post....so there is a price to pay at the longer marathon events for trying to look cool......but when the water points are stocked so well as they are at Imbuko, and even have a kind oom braaing boerewors rolls in the last bit, I am more than willing to stop and refuel.

Just one thing, do not listen to that oom with the beer in hand and braai-tongs in other, when he tells you that you are almost done......unless he refers figuratively, cause then he will be accurate yes.  

Edited by The Captain

great advice JBR!

• 1 month later...