Bike lost on the N1 freeway Cape Town

Dry Biltong

4th bike I have heard of falling off during transport this December.

2 off of trailers 2 off of bike racks.

I don’t even use my bike rack anymore. I spend more time watching the bikes in the mirror than looking where I’m going!

Lucky I’m single, kid free looser so my back seats are always down, front wheel off and bike loaded in 2 minutes. I know it’s also safe while transporting and don’t stress about theft after rides etc.

After reading all of these I don’t think my emotions would cope transporting any other way :)

Luckily my kid and my wife don't travel with me when I go ride! Bike goes inside the Landy no questions asked!

Luckily my kid and my wife don't travel with me when I go ride! Bike goes inside the Landy no questions asked!

And when it gets stuck in the sand in the parkinglot you can always tow it out with your bicycle ????????

Edited by morneS555

And when it gets stuck in the sand in the parkinglot you can always tow it out with your bicycle

Nah... More when it runs out of oil to spray everywhere I have to tow it to the nearest garage.

When there is oil in the motor and diesel in the tank you have to be pretty special to get it stuck

I don’t even use my bike rack anymore. I spend more time watching the bikes in the mirror than looking where I’m going!

Lucky I’m single, kid free looser so my back seats are always down, front wheel off and bike loaded in 2 minutes. I know it’s also safe while transporting and don’t stress about theft after rides etc.

After reading all of these I don’t think my emotions would cope transporting any other way :)

*Loser

If you were a looser you'd have a lot of kids that you are not aware of yet

depends on the type of bike, light wieght carbon machine, might be lucky to salvage some drive train components.

Big allu downhill or trail rig, might have faired a bit better

A similar situation happened with a client of mines bike a few months ago. Insurance did covert it, but it took about two weeks to finalise the claim, as they first tried to get the camera footage from Sanral to verify the story. not sure if they ever got it or not, but after about two weeks the claim was paid out and bike replaced

They go through such effort to check as unfortunately there have been far too many unscrupulous persons "loosing" a bike and claiming from insurance. 

Best thing I ever did with my bike rack is to use a ratchet strap through the bike rack and over the bike frame. Stops unwanted "bounce" that my work the fixings loose, or if there was user error when mounting the bike it offers up a back up plan/insurance.

I was going to rip into you with a story like you use the bicycle to get home when the Landy breaks down, but I see others have noted the obvious already.