Riding with contact lenses vs RX frames & lenses

DR ◣◢

Contacts and Oakley Sutro seems fine.

I even used some ocean eyewear sunglasses don’t remember the model but they were fine. The contacts just need to be a different brand. The optometrist can order you trials of the brands they usually do or most times they have in the store. I have astigmatism so I have to order mine in advance. The touching of the eyes and weird feeling I got was the sill as they call it wasn’t the right fit of the lenses and I got the discomfort

I have keratoconus and I’ve always been to scared to ride with my contacts in case they dry out to much or fall out, my contacts are not the normal contacts as they cost R2600 per eye so I’ve been riding without, but lately I definitely am needing to use them, with wide enough glasses do the contacts work properly without drying out to much ? I do have hay fever but I’m use to contacts so the weird feeling in my eye doesn’t bother me, I’m just scared of them drying out while on the trail

Laser surgery, you will never look back, blink and loose a lens, worry about dust.....

OR hassle with glasses misting up while wearing your mask

From an Ex glasses and hard contact lens wearer

Edited by SwissVan

As a severe hay fever sufferer and  a daily (disposable) contact lens wearer for many years, spring time has been tough! I ride with disposables and have tried almost every brand. My current lenses appear to finally have solved the drying out problem but the biggest difference I think can be attributed to me  using Antihistamine (anti allergy) eye drops before I set out in the morning. I carry them with me for longer rides and stage races and top up along the way.

Also using sunnies with wide coverage with good wind protection that hugs your face will help to limit drying out esp. during long chunky descents when you too scared to blink!

Critical for me RE comfort was to find the right contact lenses.

Been using the Aquity SI lenses with the ReNu MultiPlus cleaning solution and it has been amazing for me. The Aquity SI lenses were a big step down in price for me from the previous ones and proved to be not just cheaper, but far more comfortable too.

On a bad work day I can easily do a 48hr stint of work and not be uncomfortable wearing them.

EDIT: No matter what contact lens you are using .... if you are braai'ing always wear sunglasses or clear safety glasses ... the heat from the fire ruins the lenses like no one's business and they are never the same again.

Edited by Hairy

I have keratoconus and I’ve always been to scared to ride with my contacts in case they dry out to much or fall out, my contacts are not the normal contacts as they cost R2600 per eye so I’ve been riding without, but lately I definitely am needing to use them, with wide enough glasses do the contacts work properly without drying out to much ? I do have hay fever but I’m use to contacts so the weird feeling in my eye doesn’t bother me, I’m just scared of them drying out while on the trail

I have never had the whole drying out thing occur. I have the Cooper Vision BioFinity Toric lenses. Also in the evenings spray my nose with NasoNex. There was another thing someone gave me in a small Vial I think it was called Refresh.