Apple Watch Series 6. Is it worth it?

Wayne Potgieter

My biggest gripe with the Apple Watch (and I don’t own any yet, so this is purely from an outsiders perspective ) is the square screen, I kinda like my watch to look like a watch. Call me old fashioned like that.

Chris, we'll get you one.  User experience is really that much better.  

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My biggest gripe with the Apple Watch (and I don’t own any yet, so this is purely from an outsiders perspective ) is the square screen, I kinda like my watch to look like a watch. Call me old fashioned like that.

I’m biased but the squared face seems to have more space for notifications etc.

4749458853319a690c3e92bbdb0a24de.jpg

We only seem to get the aluminium options here and I’m not sure about the strap options [emoji52]

Some of the Nike straps look okay, but.... Nike

We only seem to get the aluminium options here and I’m not sure about the strap options [emoji52]

Only one worth it in my opinion.

The iStores have the stainless steel etc, but I dont think it's worth the bucks.

The basic strap is strangely the best.  But I do have a few options I alternate between.

I have a tendency to smack me watches into hard things, my solid Fenix bezel has a few dings and scratches on it, aluminium is fairly soft and unless I’m mistaken the tougher glass is only available on the on alu models.

Thanks for the note on the strap [emoji1303]

I have a tendency to smack me watches into hard things, my solid Fenix bezel has a few dings and scratches on it, aluminium is fairly soft and unless I’m mistaken the tougher glass is only available on the on alu models.

I used to do that, not sure how I ever stopped but I literally went through 2 to 3 watches a year until back the I splurged and got a GShock and other than a few dings and a dead battery it’s all good, think it lasted almost 12 years.

My fenix actually looks pretty good but it is the replacement unit so only a few months old.

Ireland had all the options boss. Order via the apple website

I am similar. Your post made me look closely at my watch. It definitely has a few marks and stuff after 2 years of abuse, but the glass is surprisingly not scratched. I find that AppleCare gives me peace of mind so I don’t treat my watch any differently now to how I would another utility watch. Having said that, in four years of having an Apple Watch, I’ve never had to claim.

I am similar. Your post made me look closely at my watch. It definitely has a few marks and stuff after 2 years of abuse, but the glass is surprisingly not scratched. I find that AppleCare gives me peace of mind so I don’t treat my watch any differently now to how I would another utility watch. Having said that, in four years of having an Apple Watch, I’ve never had to claim.

This! AppleCare gives two full watch replacements each year. So any damage and get a new one in 48 hours. You not investing in a “timepeace” with a tech watch. It should hold no sentimental value either.

Strangely enough in my group of mates there was one guy who had an Apple watch, most of the guys said it looks "really girly" with the soft lines and square case.

I dont really find that and I think the square display is more practical for seeing information.

My wife also said it’s a bit on the feminine side, but it’s true that the square shape allows for placement of more complications.

• 2 months later...

So last week at 04h00 Monday, my watch Series 6 stopped taking my pulse. Then started asking me for my unlock code, then switched off.

Tried resetting the watch, but it was dead. It did not even respond to the charger.

So took it to Apple. Now we know the BS of Apple that if a screen is broken and you need it replaced, they tell you to buy a new unit?

Well seems that if a warranty unit dies, they will replace the parts. I received an e-mail that a module in the watch died, and they do not have stock in SA, so i must wait 5-7 business days for the module to arrive from the EU.

If something is broken in the unit why will Apple fix it and not replace it?

That after I lost all trust in the product, to get a repaired unit back?

Not feeling happy with Apple at this stage

So last week at 04h00 Monday, my watch Series 6 stopped taking my pulse. Then started asking me for my unlock code, then switched off.

Tried resetting the watch, but it was dead. It did not even respond to the charger.

So took it to Apple. Now we know the BS of Apple that if a screen is broken and you need it replaced, they tell you to buy a new unit?

Well seems that if a warranty unit dies, they will replace the parts. I received an e-mail that a module in the watch died, and they do not have stock in SA, so i must wait 5-7 business days for the module to arrive from the EU.

If something is broken in the unit why will Apple fix it and not replace it?

That after I lost all trust in the product, to get a repaired unit back?

Not feeling happy with Apple at this stage

Subject to correction, but I presume that they are sending a replacement watch, albeit a refurbished one. Are they charging you? If not, seems fair.

Subject to correction, but I presume that they are sending a replacement watch, albeit a refurbished one. Are they charging you? If not, seems fair.

hope it is a new device and not a refurbished unit or being fixed.

The watch still falls under the CPA of 6 months.

If the charge me all hell will break loose. Just sucks as I am at a very bad time of my treatment. I need some of the functions of the 6. Including fall detection as I passed out a few times due to the medication I am on. Just glad every time happened at home. But if I am site, I need my wife to be notified that I fell and that she would be able to contact my office to send help

hope it is a new device and not a refurbished unit or being fixed.

The watch still falls under the CPA of 6 months.

If the charge me all hell will break loose. Just sucks as I am at a very bad time of my treatment. I need some of the functions of the 6. Including fall detection as I passed out a few times due to the medication I am on. Just glad every time happened at home. But if I am site, I need my wife to be notified that I fell and that she would be able to contact my office to send help

The 6 months is repeated fault, and in you have taken it in now, and get it back repaired and it happens again within 6m of them having returned it to you.