Apple Watch Series 6. Is it worth it?

Wayne Potgieter

I didnt know the Fenix does that, but its handy info.

I still think watches like the Fenix series and some Suuntos are better positioned than Apple watch.

They do smart notifications, but more importantly have long battery life and proper workout modes.

All Garmin needs to do is up their game a little in the smart functions.

Only the 5X Plus does as far as I know.

Also has a big battery

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks, I like the aesthetics of my Fenix with red strap, but yeah I think the Apple might take it there.

What do you use for shopping lists? At the moment we use a shared apple note but there’s apparently no apple notes app for watch.

It seems Tesco have removed Apple Pay as an option here so that’s not going to work [emoji1]

Painful as having a phone was a handy backup for when I forgot my wallet at home.

We use an App called OurGroceries (free version). Been perfect for many years!

Thanks, I like the aesthetics of my Fenix with red strap, but yeah I think the Apple might take it there.

What do you use for shopping lists? At the moment we use a shared apple note but there’s apparently no apple notes app for watch.

It seems Tesco have removed Apple Pay as an option here so that’s not going to work [emoji1]

Painful as having a phone was a handy backup for when I forgot my wallet at home.

Tesco hasn’t removed Apple Pay, they are just promoting their own payment option

It gives VO2, not O2, very different functions. 02 came with the 6 series. That’s a hardware feature that cannot simply be patched into the 5 series.

Personally if I did go Apple I would get an Edge, been waiting a larger display for the bike for some time, the watch is less convenient for seeing things on rides, but having a 5x makes justifying one tough.

I have just had this replaced for a dead battery with an OOW cost of like 4K. So in like 18 months time or so when it dies again then I’ll get the like 8 Series Apple and a mid range Edge along with the Polar Oh1.

For running and every day use the Apple, especially by then would be far more useful, and will be perfect for the daily gym session and once a week 5k run.

I use my apple watch for most of my exercise stuff. Commuting, shorter rides, running etc and my edge for normal rides. I like my info in front of me (in large letters [emoji23]) when I’m cycling and the edge connects to my power meter, radar etc as well.

Tesco hasn’t removed Apple Pay, they are just promoting their own payment option

Ok

I’ll have a look again but I haven’t seen it as an option on the new self pay terminals

I use my apple watch for most of my exercise stuff. Commuting, shorter rides, running etc and my edge for normal rides. I like my info in front of me (in large letters [emoji23]) when I’m cycling and the edge connects to my power meter, radar etc as well.

Radar?

What for riding in bad weather.....I know you have *** weather there but radar...

I had a look again today and still didn’t spot the option.

59a4d5a0ab0e2d2004598c9ed31af705.jpg

For me in UAE, if a shop has the “contactless” option I select that and then use either ApplePay, GarminPay or Tap my Card.

Select the contactless option and it should then work.

For me in UAE, if a shop has the “contactless” option I select that and then use either ApplePay, GarminPay or Tap my Card.

Select the contactless option and it should then work.

Thanks, I’ll try that.

Just went back to Apple Watch (6) after flirting with Garmin for 2 years.   It's really like I rejoined the future again.

Sure, the Garmin was more geared towards sport, but to be honest, ever so slightly and I've not had a problem using Strava on the Apple Watch, so honestly a moot point.  Sadly work been hectic, so longest ride was 1h45m  and then only 5% battery used, so all good.  I dont wear my watch at night, so to drop it onto the magnetic charger is really not such an issue.    The Garmin naturally will have more battery life purely because it does **** all in comparison. LOL

But to have a watch that doesn't vibrate on the table with notifications when you're NOT wearing it is probably my happiest change.  Plus notifications you can look at, turn your wrist away, and it's gone.  Useful weather, banking, calendar, Siri and music.  The ECG and 02 are also super useful.   In all honesty, I think the GPS is also more accurate when riding (my own "scientific testing").

But lastly, 90% of my life I am not excercising, and it literally kicks 500000% **** out of a Garmin.  Just better, cleverer and more integrated in every way.   Honestly, that ONE time a year I cannot do an ironman with it, I'll survive.

Again, and I've said it before, I just dont get the Garmin hysteria on this Bikehub sites.  At best, very average products.   Replacing my Edge 830 with a Wahoo too.  Then finally out of that Garmin club

Just went back to Apple Watch (6) after flirting with Garmin for 2 years. It's really like I rejoined the future again.

Sure, the Garmin was more geared towards sport, but to be honest, ever so slightly and I've not had a problem using Strava on the Apple Watch, so honestly a moot point. Sadly work been hectic, so longest ride was 1h45m and then only 5% battery used, so all good. I dont wear my watch at night, so to drop it onto the magnetic charger is really not such an issue. The Garmin naturally will have more battery life purely because it does **** all in comparison. LOL

But to have a watch that doesn't vibrate on the table with notifications when you're NOT wearing it is probably my happiest change. Plus notifications you can look at, turn your wrist away, and it's gone. Useful weather, banking, calendar, Siri and music. The ECG and 02 are also super useful. In all honesty, I think the GPS is also more accurate when riding (my own "scientific testing").

But lastly, 90% of my life I am not excercising, and it literally kicks 500000% **** out of a Garmin. Just better, cleverer and more integrated in every way. Honestly, that ONE time a year I cannot do an ironman with it, I'll survive.

Again, and I've said it before, I just dont get the Garmin hysteria on this Bikehub sites. At best, very average products. Replacing my Edge 830 with a Wahoo too. Then finally out of that Garmin club

My biggest gripe with the Apple Watch (and I don’t own any yet, so this is purely from an outsiders perspective ) is the square screen, I kinda like my watch to look like a watch. Call me old fashioned like that.

My biggest gripe with the Apple Watch (and I don’t own any yet, so this is purely from an outsiders perspective ) is the square screen, I kinda like my watch to look like a watch. Call me old fashioned like that.

Friend and I had a good discussion as we both agree with the visual, however at the end of the day it’s first a smart watch and you negatively impact usability and user experience with making it round, it actually removes a massive amount of space for for information and related interactions.

At the sun, I would rather have it more useful and more issuable than more round.