Bike shops - Service quality vs salaries and profits

Markellis

I think you over estimate the abilities of the average person.

I know I often do and then am shocked when someone cant sort out the most basic of things.

perhaps.  :ph34r:  :blush:

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I am having some issues with my brakes so yesterday I decided to invest a bit of time and try DIY.

To cut a long story short, I am dropping it off at my LBS this afternoon.

What do I expect of them:

• Bike to be ready for collection before the weekend
  • Clean Clean Clean Bike
  • Issue sorted and bike running smoothly
  • Communication...not every hour or day but perhaps just a call or message if there are other issues or if the bike wont be ready  in time.

• 2 weeks later...

I use my bikes for commuting so I don't have the luxury of dropping off a wheel an fetching it 2 or 4 days later. So all I do is I call the LBS and ask them on what day can I get same day service and then they will tell me for example next week Thursday and then when the day comes I ride my bike into the shop, go to work and then collect my bike and ride home, no problem. If my bike is inoperable I ride the lesser of the the two bikes (the road bike). I think it is unrealistic and disrespectful to request to jump the que or demand immediate service. Similarly, when I know my bike must be ready for an event, I book it in way before the time. Having said that, when I did have an emergency they sorted me out as well because I am not an impossible customer and I didn't even ask.

Would be interested to hear how long each service should take. From there one can try to extrapolate.

But what does a mech earn if he is not the LBS owner? R 10K, R 20K?

What are the billable hours per day?

I would guesstimate @ R 15k per month that mech needs to invoice at least R1.5 to 2k labour per day to make the store owner consider keeping him.

Another thread had someone bleating about paying R 300.00 for a Tubeless fix. How long does that take from walk in to finish? I guestimate is 30 mins and the labour component was probably R 100 to R 150.00. and the balance would probably have been sealant and rim tape and probably a valve.

At that rate the mech would need to be running the full day non stop just to pay his salary. Consider that!

Yes I know there is big money in spares, but these days everyone is comparing to online pricing so not so much any more.

Howsit.

As a bike shop owner in Kyalami area,JHB. Here is my view.

Firstly.

I have been cycling for over 40 years.

Qualified Engineer

Have a tool fetish that is borderline insane. (Only the best or don’t bother)

Work on all my customers bikes myself. From collecting. Stripping, quoting, ordering parts, rebuilding, washing and delivering back to the customer.

A full suspension bike takes me 7-10hours to service. This is everything from forks and shock service, pedals, linkage, hubs, bleed brakes, checking rims under rim tape, true wheels, derailluer clutch service, etc etc.

I collect and deliver the bike for a R250 fee anywhere in the jhb/Pretoria area.

I only use parts and products I am happy to put my name to. I research different greases to see what’s best for assembly, for sheer strength, for water repulsion, for prevention against seizing of 2 components. (I generally will use 6-8 different types of grease on one bike in a service, depending on what the part or application is)

I ONLY use a torque wrench (or should I say wrenches). I have 7 that go from 0.4nm to over 90nm.

I have shop components that I loan out whilst lengthier repairs or warranties are needed. Like wheels, forks, shocks, brakes etc to keep my customers rolling.

I delve into the small details on the bike that 90% of shops overlook that is included in the service fee.

Like removing rim tape to inspect inner portion of the rim. (New tape reinstalled after)

replace valve cores every time.

Service Shimano derailluer clutches

Replace all clips and rubber covers on the brake pad pins and bleed nipples.

Replace any seals or spacers on bb’s (like the gxp NDS seal/spacer) or the DS dub 2.5 or 4mm spacer if it’s worn.

Use correct sealant for the rim type (like ammonia free sealant in Shimano and mavic wheels)

Use Oem greases/oils where required (dt Swiss freehubs, Shimano clutches, forks, shocks, brakes) no cheap alternatives. No generics

I take pride in my work. And I stand behind my work. If a customer isn’t happy I replace/repair. No questions asked...ever. Service is without compromise!

I don’t short cut or skip anything. I always do more than required. Always check the bike for anything out of place. Even if the customer just wants new grips or a light fitted.

I charge the industry rate for that. (Around 1200) but in reality it should be closer to 4000 if I work at an hourly labour rate.

I only service 4-6 bikes per week. Not a lot of money on the labour being earned.

Yet people with 150k bikes will moan at having to spend 4K servicing their bike.

But what they fail to realize is I’ve taken 40 year of knowledge, experience and mistakes to get to here. I have spent hundreds of thousands of Rand’s on tools and equipment. (Probably closer to a million) and when a new standard comes out it’s another couple of thousand for the tools.

So if you are wanting a professional, experienced, consistent and sustainable service from your LBS. Remember that if you want him around next time. Pay him / them for their time now, fairly and without moaning.

Because as I am sure some of you will agree.

A doctor charges 2-3k per hour as a billable rate.

IT professional. Over 1-2k per hour.

Lawyers, advertising houses, banking, etc etc.

So why moan when a qualified engineer, with 40 years experience wants to charge R400/hour. And has had to spend R1m on tools and another R1m on stock to be able to service your bike?

If you can’t understand this, don’t ride a bike. Simple.

bull****

Please. I invite you to come service your bike at my shop. You can use all the tools I have. (First hurdle overcome) and let’s see how well you do. How well you put it all back together. And IF you don’t manage to break something on disassembly, you will have a spare part or a serious IQ test on assembly.

And if you do all the above right. You may, but highly unlikely, have a smooth trouble free ride.