Cycling glasses for people wearing permanent glasses

Johny_mtb

I am also a multifocal wearer and either use my script sunglasses which have a plastic frame or a pair of overlay sunnies from ocean. The ocean sunglass overspecs dont distort and seem to breathe ok so no bad fogging. They look like a normal sunglass as your entire specs clip inside - even the arms. Its a R500 solution which works really well

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Aliexpress sell myopia glasses for less than 2 usd each. I have a few pairs for cycling and mtb, they work well and are pretty strong.

My husband and I have used the Adidas glasses for over 10 years.  Much cheaper to replace prescription inserts in these and if the exposed lenses get scratched, you can just order more of them to clip in.  You can also have night vision lenses to clip in if you need. 

Google Adidas Evil Eye cycling sunglasses.

You get the ones with an additional insert that your optometrist "cuts" to your prescription.

I have a set I have been using for years, and it is robust. Use it for both Road and Mtb riding. 

It must be the cheapest option out there. 

Investigate D'Arcs also, I'm under the impression they also have with the inserts.

I know of Rudi projects with inserts but pricey.

I use Rudy Project Rydons with the prescription insert when I'm not wearing contact lenses.

Are contact lenses not an option?

I wear glasses but luckily my prescription is not too bad that I can not see without them(I have JUST passed the drivers license wthout my glasses before). I have tried riding with my glasses but they too light and the wind just messes with my eyes so I don't bother and just ride with my normal cycling glasses. I did try contacts but never got the hang of it. So if while riding and we know each other and I call you by another name, it's not that I forgot your name, it's the fact that you are a bit blurry at a distance.......

I wear glasses but luckily my prescription is not too bad that I can not see without them(I have JUST passed the drivers license wthout my glasses before). I have tried riding with my glasses but they too light and the wind just messes with my eyes so I don't bother and just ride with my normal cycling glasses. I did try contacts but never got the hang of it. So if while riding and we know each other and I call you by another name, it's not that I forgot your name, it's the fact that you are a bit blurry at a distance.......

I found that riding with my normal prescription glasses meant I was looking straight into the top frame, looking through the lenses meant straining my head.

But my eyes are also not that bad that I need glasses whilst cycling (yet), although being able to see more details would help.

On the drivers license thing, I renewed last year, the previous time I renewed I didnt use my glasses and passed the eye test ok, this time around I tried the same thng and just could not see what they were asking me to see, eventually had to put my glasses on.

I have the exact same problem especially in the mornings. Heard Rudy Project Radon's are the best and then get special prescription lenses from Spec Savers. Heading to ASG in Pretoria this weekend to check on pricing, also open to any other suggestions 

After a trauma experience, I all of a sudden needed glasses and due to the nature of both my job and my mountain biking. I absolutely hate wearing glasses! However, I opted from the beginning to use multi-focal as taking the glasses off for when it is not needed, store them somewhere and replacing it when needed was not a burden I was prepared for. This was 10 years ago and I started with Adidas. Worked well enough, but at the time it was damn expensive. When the lenses were due for replacement, I was told that they can not make the lenses on their own. That was a bit disappointing, but life goes on. I have since gotten a Nike frame which was very durable and now I am on something I can not even read the name off. 

I sweat a lot while cycling and it fouls my view every ride requiring a deep clean with light soapy water after each ride. It is another pet hate of me, but I also hate the streakyness left behind if it is not washed. Therefore I use glasses with an open frame on the bottom. It makes washing and drying easier. I have only a blue filter (for working on the PC long hours) on my glasses as I found the photocromatic filters can be a bother in some situations.Funny enough, I think the most expensive part of my glasses has always been the price of the lenses. The cheapest I managed to find was around R3500/lens.

I wear glasses while cycling for two reasons. First there is the "keep the crap out of my eyes" reason ( I ride mostly in deep Africa and the crap can be anything from dust, gravel, and insects to cow dung) and the second reason is that I am vain enough to have a Garmin mounted on the handlebars and I would like to see from time to time what is happening with my effort.

Having to use glasses at any time is a pain in the @ss for me, but since my eyes only need the glasses for close-up reading, opting for the operation is not on the table. Glasses it is then :-(

Depends upon the lens and the user I think. With normal lenses, if I get any dust in them, the grit gets between the eye and the lens and the very smallest piece of dust causes the most incredible degree of irritation. I am effectively blind in the eye concerned. However, if I use scleral lenses, no problem. I can surf with them and survive a desert dust storm with them.

I've given up on finding inserts or dedicated sports RX frames purely due to the costs involved. 

I now ride with my old pair of glasses. The are good enough for me to see the detail in the trail and keeps enough junk out of my eyes. 

It sucks that my Oakley EVs are now sitting on the shelf but I just can't deal with my contacts while riding. I tend to not blink when I'm concentrating and once that lens dries out I'm practically blind when I do blink again. Also the scratching drives me crazy. 

My wife had a fall while cycling several years ago. A pedestrian stepped into the road in front of her and she came down quite hard. She was wearing her normal daily multi focals with "plastic" lenses. The lenses broke and she cut her eyebrow badly, requiring stitches. Since then we have both stopped wearing prescription glasses for cycling.

Question: Are the lenses in cycling specific sunglasses tougher/safer than the polycarbonate lenses in standard optometrist prescription glasses? Are "normal" optometrist made plastic lenses deemed safe for cycling?

Had a fall a while back where my face assisted me in braking. The impact was directly on the frame. No damage and the impact popped the lens out.

Maybe i got lucky?

Had a fall a while back where my face assisted me in braking. The impact was directly on the frame. No damage and the impact popped the lens out.

Maybe i got lucky?

The rudy projects and I assume some of the others have pop in lenses so I assume they just pop out on heavy impact, From a safety perspective I am sure a car hitting you or falling on a downhill in mtb happens a lot more often 

Both my wife and I use Rudi Projects, they work perfectly. Also you can wear the glasses without the inserts too. Assuming you can see without the inserts, say with contacts for example.

post-12717-0-52059700-1610544500_thumb.jpg

post-12717-0-27171900-1610544519_thumb.jpg