Bike fit Cape Town

ianct

On 3/4/2024 at 8:10 AM, Jurgenbike said:

I've been involved with the institute for over 20 years for various reasons, including injury rehabilitation, long-term training when I raced in Europe, and numerous bike fittings. However, my experience with the institute has been somewhat tainted not by the quality of their scientific approach, but rather by the attitude of the individuals in charge.

I've always believed that arrogance leads to ignorance – when someone thinks they know everything, they close themselves off to new learning opportunities. Unfortunately, the majority of the individuals running the institute exhibit this arrogance, particularly towards cyclists, especially beginners and intermediates who share the same passion for the sport as professionals.

Fortunately, I've had the privilege of coaching at another institute with a vibrant community of 6500 mountain biking members, and my sentiments are echoed throughout this club. It's disheartening to see such disregard for customers' opinions and feedback, resulting in frequent mistakes not due to incompetence but rather an unwillingness to listen.

Chris, my critique extends beyond just the bike fitting department. However, my last bike fitting experience with them was particularly disappointing. The technician seemed rushed and indifferent to my concerns, leading to an overtightened head tube bearing which ultimately caused damage.

I'm curious, did you have a successful bike fitting experience?

These characterisations, yoh.

What matters most that you had the courage, tact and transparency to tell them about your service experience? Customer feedback is precious to any service provider, especially as the cycling community is a relatively small space.

No people in a business or service organisation wakes up in the morning and ask: ‘Now how can I be a wise-ass at work today, annoy concerned athletes and potentially dent our reputational value?’

Working in the high performance space, I heavily rely on feedback loops, solving complicated problems and really want to avoid this kind of brand exposure. I sure hope you gave them feedback, allowing for them to respond and enhance their offering.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, Jeroen Swart said:

Sorry Jurgen. We cannot please everyone. There is someone out there who will be a better match.

What an arrogant response. 

On 3/7/2024 at 9:17 PM, Block said:

What an arrogant response. 

Not really, having worked in retail and then sales just about my entire working life. There comes a time when you just need to accept that some people are not going to work well with you and others are. ‘The customer is always right’ quote that we all seem to blindly pursue is simply not correct. You are never going to please everyone and pursuing it to the ends of the earth is emotionally draining and ultimately not as productive/profitable as we might like to think. Just like you don’t have to buy from me, I don’t have to sell to you either. The trick is managing the middle and keeping it as large as possible in terms of happy clients, but there will always be extremes on the positive side, great! On the negative, not great of course, but if you can honestly say that you have provided your best service, part company and take the learnings, if any, and move on. 

Edited by Murrob
Too many not’s….

10 hours ago, Murrob said:

Not really, having worked in retail and then sales just about my entire working life. There comes a time when you just need to accept that some people are not going to work well with you and others are not. ‘The customer is always right’ quote that we all seem to blindly pursue is simply not correct. You are never going to please everyone and pursuing it to the ends of the earth is emotionally draining and ultimately not as productive/profitable as we might like to think. Just like you don’t have to buy from me, I don’t have to sell to you either. The trick is managing the middle and keeping it as large as possible in terms of happy clients, but there will always be extremes on the positive side, great! On the negative, not great of course, but if you can honestly say that you have provided your best service, part company and take the learnings, if any, and move on. 

Thank you for putting it so succinctly. We currently have over 500 active clients around the Globe. The majority are extremely happy with our service and our track record is one of consistent excellence since our inception in 2008. Since 2020 we have doubled the size of our business and expanded to offer services globally. We strive hard to improve our offering on a yearly basis and we currently have biomechanics and performance testing laboratories in Cape Town, Girona and Abu Dhabi that provide World class services. Our partners are working at the very highest levels in the sport within two leading World Tour Teams who have a combined 6 Grand Tour wins in recent years and also with the leading global MTB team. Our associates work in another 2 World Tour Teams at a lower level. I believe our combined knowledge and services offer the highest standard available to recreational, amateur and professional cyclists. Our track record suggests this is the case.

However, despite this there are always people who are not satisfied with what we have to offer. Jurgen is unfortunately one of them. He has worked closely with 3 separate partner coaches who each have very different personalities and styles. We are sad that we cannot please all personalities and customers but this is the nature of business. We hope that Jurgen can find a good fit elsewhere. This is my intended point behind my original post.

Wishing you all a pleasant weekend of riding.

Should you wish to make use of our services, please visit our website at www.sciencetosport.com or email us at info@sciencetosport.com

4 minutes ago, Jeroen Swart said:

Thank you for putting it so succinctly. We currently have over 500 active clients around the Globe. The majority are extremely happy with our service and our track record is one of consistent excellence since our inception in 2008. Since 2020 we have doubled the size of our business and expanded to offer services globally. We strive hard to improve our offering on a yearly basis and we currently have biomechanics and performance testing laboratories in Cape Town, Girona and Abu Dhabi that provide World class services. Our partners are working at the very highest levels in the sport within two leading World Tour Teams who have a combined 6 Grand Tour wins in recent years and also with the leading global MTB team. Our associates work in another 2 World Tour Teams at a lower level. I believe our combined knowledge and services offer the highest standard available to recreational, amateur and professional cyclists. Our track record suggests this is the case.

However, despite this there are always people who are not satisfied with what we have to offer. Jurgen is unfortunately one of them. He has worked closely with 3 separate partner coaches who each have very different personalities and styles. We are sad that we cannot please all personalities and customers but this is the nature of business. We hope that Jurgen can find a good fit elsewhere. This is my intended point behind my original post.

Wishing you all a pleasant weekend of riding.

Should you wish to make use of our services, please visit our website at www.sciencetosport.com or email us at info@sciencetosport.com

A more reasonable response. The previous one smacked of disdain. Did chuckle at the end plug.

11 hours ago, 'Dale said:

These characterisations, yoh.

What matters most that you had the courage, tact and transparency to tell them about your service experience? Customer feedback is precious to any service provider, especially as the cycling community is a relatively small space.

No people in a business or service organisation wakes up in the morning and ask: ‘Now how can I be a wise-ass at work today, annoy concerned athletes and potentially dent our reputational value?’

Working in the high performance space, I heavily rely on feedback loops, solving complicated problems and really want to avoid this kind of brand exposure. I sure hope you gave them feedback, allowing for them to respond and enhance their offering.

Hi Dale, thank you for those words. I've made numerous attempts, but the issue lies in dealing with people who are excessively arrogant. They never believe they're in the wrong; instead believing it must be you who is wrong. Consequently, my feedback on this matter fell on deaf ears. Moreover, I believe the more feedback you give them, the more convinced they become of your supposed wrongness. Hence, I suggested the establishment of an institute catering for beginner to intermediate cyclists, treating them with enthusiasm and relevant respect.