Bike fit Cape Town

ianct

16 hours ago, Jurgenbike said:

Unfortunately their arrogance is so bad it actually makes them infective most of the time. It is a shame so much knowledge, and wasted on arrogance and ego. 

If you are going to slander the organisation or service after 3 years since the last comment, can you be more specific about your experience so other users here can be more informed?

Edited by 'Dale

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On 1/13/2021 at 10:10 PM, DieselnDust said:

another vote for S2S (SSISA). Whether its with Jeroen, or  Reece or whoever,, what they have forgotten about bikefitting others still have to learn.

Matt Beers is also doing bike fit. He may still be operating out of Bikemob in Westlake

Maybe I just have odd body measurements but the algorithms from their fitting program didnt work for me, it was very obvious the recommended saddle height is too low and the fitter (cant remember his name) had to make some thumb suck adjustments to get to a set-up that more or less worked.

Later went for another setup at Irmfit and that worked much better for me. 

2 hours ago, Jurgenbike said:

I presume that your original personal attack on me implies that you are involved in sports science. The attitude suits the institute

wow.

So you slate a professional organisation's attitude without substance to back up your claim.

Then you get your own knickers in a knot when someone passes a funny comment about your demeanour.

On the balance of probabilities I'd go for the most likely scenario that S2S bikefit are not good when working with "difficult customers". You can interepret that as a personal attack if you want, I'm basing it entirely on your attitude here. 

17 hours ago, Jurgenbike said:

Unfortunately their arrogance is so bad it actually makes them infective most of the time. It is a shame so much knowledge, and wasted on arrogance and ego. 

It would really provide some context if you could provide more information.

Clearly you had a bad experience !

When ?

Who did the fit?

Was it "just" a measurement fit, or did they evaluate YOUR body and your flexibility and YOUR riding etc ?

Where there follow up sessions to do minor adjustments ?

Equally important - your fitness level, your age, etc.  (as an unfit obese middle age man my initial fitment was anything but a standard measurement session.  As I lost weight and gained fitness I went back a few times)

Providing context may just help the next rider to decide between different fitters.

54 minutes ago, peepeekaitjie said:

FYI it is achieved 

Handbags .... sorry, top-tube bags at dawn .....

AMPER Vrydag ....

Time to stock up on the old popcorn ....

I've Done Jeroen at SISSA and @Sid the Sloth at Freewheel on two different bikes, both seem equaly good imo if you want a high performance yet comfortable fit.

Sissa/ErgoFIT is quick-quick when the Retül one takes quite a while, but also Dan is pationnate about what he's doing and explains everything he's doing so basically, if you're interested in what's happening go to freewheel, if you just want a quick fit that works go to SiSSA. 

Edited by Jbr

On 1/13/2021 at 4:10 PM, FootballingCyclist said:

Josh Francis at Powerbox bikefit. They are based at Edge Cycles in Edgemead. 

Oh, I didn't know he's still around! I had heard that he moved overseas. I went to him a couple of times when he was based in Montague Gardens. Very good experience. 

3 minutes ago, Vaultboy said:

Oh, I didn't know he's still around! I had heard that he moved overseas. I went to him a couple of times when he was based in Montague Gardens. Very good experience. 

My reply was in 2021, Josh has moved abroad since yes

5 hours ago, FootballingCyclist said:

My reply was in 2021, Josh has moved abroad since yes

Marco Abrahams has taken over Cycle Fit in Joburg and expanded into CT with a branch in Seapoint. Not sure if that’s nearby?

18 hours ago, ChrisF said:

Handbags .... sorry, top-tube bags at dawn .....

AMPER Vrydag ....

Time to stock up on the old popcorn ....

That’s handlebar bags now #jourowebliksem

On 2/29/2024 at 12:09 PM, Shebeen said:

wow.

So you slate a professional organisation's attitude without substance to back up your claim.

Then you get your own knickers in a knot when someone passes a funny comment about your demeanour.

On the balance of probabilities I'd go for the most likely scenario that S2S bikefit are not good when working with "difficult customers". You can interepret that as a personal attack if you want, I'm basing it entirely on your attitude here. 

My statement is based on over 20 years of experience with this professional organization. From injury rehabilitation to long-term training when I raced in Europe, and numerous bike fittings, I've been fortunate to coach at an organization boasting over 6500 mountain bike members, many of whom share my sentiments.

I am, therefore, simply reflecting on many years of experience. The reason I've engaged with them for so long (before you ask) is that at the time, there were few other options available. Additionally, I hoped that over time, the individuals managing the cycling division would mature and improve. Essentially, I hoped they would become more respectful in their dealings with cyclists. Unfortunately, it seems to have deteriorated as they hire and train new staff who emulate their behavior.

It's disheartening to witness such a brilliant institute treating the cycling industry, particularly beginners and intermediate cyclists, with disrespect, considering that 95% of the industry comprises these individuals, who possess as much love and passion for the sport as anyone else.

There's a pressing need for a similar institute focused on supporting and enhancing the experiences of these types of cyclists. Fortunately, there are now many alternatives run by individuals who treat their clients with dignity.

On 2/29/2024 at 12:28 PM, ChrisF said:

When ?

Who did the fit?

Was it "just" a measurement fit, or did they evaluate YOUR body and your flexibility and YOUR riding etc ?

Equally important - your fitness level, your age, etc.  (as an unfit obese middle age man my initial fitment was anything but a standard measurement session.  As I lost weight and gained fitness I went back a few times)

Providing context may just help the next rider to decide between different fitters.

I've been involved with the institute for over 20 years for various reasons, including injury rehabilitation, long-term training when I raced in Europe, and numerous bike fittings. However, my experience with the institute has been somewhat tainted not by the quality of their scientific approach, but rather by the attitude of the individuals in charge.

I've always believed that arrogance leads to ignorance – when someone thinks they know everything, they close themselves off to new learning opportunities. Unfortunately, the majority of the individuals running the institute exhibit this arrogance, particularly towards cyclists, especially beginners and intermediates who share the same passion for the sport as professionals.

Fortunately, I've had the privilege of coaching at another institute with a vibrant community of 6500 mountain biking members, and my sentiments are echoed throughout this club. It's disheartening to see such disregard for customers' opinions and feedback, resulting in frequent mistakes not due to incompetence but rather an unwillingness to listen.

Chris, my critique extends beyond just the bike fitting department. However, my last bike fitting experience with them was particularly disappointing. The technician seemed rushed and indifferent to my concerns, leading to an overtightened head tube bearing which ultimately caused damage.

I'm curious, did you have a successful bike fitting experience?

35 minutes ago, Jurgenbike said:

I've been involved with the institute for over 20 years for various reasons, including injury rehabilitation, long-term training when I raced in Europe, and numerous bike fittings. However, my experience with the institute has been somewhat tainted not by the quality of their scientific approach, but rather by the attitude of the individuals in charge.

I've always believed that arrogance leads to ignorance – when someone thinks they know everything, they close themselves off to new learning opportunities. Unfortunately, the majority of the individuals running the institute exhibit this arrogance, particularly towards cyclists, especially beginners and intermediates who share the same passion for the sport as professionals.

Fortunately, I've had the privilege of coaching at another institute with a vibrant community of 6500 mountain biking members, and my sentiments are echoed throughout this club. It's disheartening to see such disregard for customers' opinions and feedback, resulting in frequent mistakes not due to incompetence but rather an unwillingness to listen.

Chris, my critique extends beyond just the bike fitting department. However, my last bike fitting experience with them was particularly disappointing. The technician seemed rushed and indifferent to my concerns, leading to an overtightened head tube bearing which ultimately caused damage.

I'm curious, did you have a successful bike fitting experience?

That is a sad state of affairs ....

I had my bikeft sessions with Irma.  The willingness to listen, and figure out workable solutions have been KEY in our interactions.  Its been a few years, and having worked on various issues with the bio I should really go back to Irma for a follow up.

On 2/29/2024 at 12:28 PM, ChrisF said:

When ?

Who did the fit?

Sorry Jurgen. We cannot please everyone. There is someone out there who will be a better match.

Edited by Jeroen Swart