Thule EasyFold XT2

mikkelz

More questions.

For bigger tires like 2.3 to 2.6 does the "footbed" of the rack comfortably fit these sizes? Current rack doesn't and as a result my front wheel twists as soon as I exceed 100km/h

How stable is the rack while in motion? My current rack bounces a little when the route gets rough.

The newer models wheel wells are wider to fit thicker tyres.not sure of model number tho.

Older models can fit upto around 2.4 tyres, atleast my thule rack.

Enough space in footbed and very sturdy ratchet straps. I am running 2.3 on my MTB and it slots in with room to spare. It actually have grooves for different size tyres. Road bike will fit in the inner grove and a wider tyre will fit in a wider grove and just on top of the narrow grove. I think Thule markets them as fat bike ready.

It is very sturdy at the back of the car. It comes with a adjuster on the ball clamp to get it as tight as possible and can fit different size tow bars.

There is no play on the tilt attachments. Once locked in it is locked in!

Exactly what I want to hear. Thank you.

More questions. 

For bigger tires like 2.3 to 2.6 does the "footbed" of the rack comfortably fit these sizes? Current rack doesn't and as a result my front wheel twists as soon as I exceed 100km/h

How stable is the rack while in motion? My current rack bounces a little when the route gets rough. 

My XT3 footbed/wheelpath? handles 2.5" DHF's on a 30mm rim (which end up looking ginormous) without problems. I have never driven offroad, but the rack and contents are always just the way I loaded them when I arrive. Disclaimer : speedlimit here is 110 km/hr.

My XT3 footbed/wheelpath? handles 2.5" DHF's on a 30mm rim (which end up looking ginormous) without problems. I have never driven offroad, but the rack and contents are always just the way I loaded them when I arrive. Disclaimer : speedlimit here is 110 km/hr.

Thank so much. My car chugs fuel so we stick to 110 anyways. Good to know.

AFAIK you can get longer straps from Thule and most of the foot beds are pretty flexible so accommodating up to 3.0 tyres should be easy

Thule state it takes 4.7 tyres.

The straps are very long. It helps with the fine tuning of the bikes as you can move the bike left or right on the rack and still tie them down securely.

DM me if you want some photo's

Be aware that most manufacturers don’t recommend carrying carbon road bikes in a platform rack without the carbon bike frame protector.

Be aware that most manufacturers don’t recommend carrying carbon road bikes in a platform rack without the carbon bike frame protector.

It shouldn't be a problem if you don't clamp the **** out of the top tube. The arms are just there to hold the bike upright and in place.

Thule-Easy-Fold.026.jpeg

Seems to handle 2 mountain bikes pretty well. Getting the saddles out of the way will be easy with dropper posts.

I just want a rack that doesn't weight a metric ton and bounce around behind my car like my current one does.

The price is very reasonable considering it is less that 10% of the value of what sits on top of it.

Yes, bar to saddle height is KEY to fitting the bikes.

Easy when using two similar sized bikes, even easier with dropper posts .... certainly not so easy with two bikes of totally different sizes.

Just something to check, as it is a real issue for a few, non.issue for many others

More questions.

The wheel trays are nice and wide, as confirmed by a number of posts.

Bounce .... our Velocompact 925 do have a slight bounce over bumps. But very stable at speed, on tar.

Fuel consumption .... uhm jaaa.... the length of the bike vs the width of the car determines how much of the wheels protrude into the airstream, ie the drag and extra fuel. On the RAV4, and with the small Trek the fuel consumption was minimal ... wider bike, behind a sedan ... MAN, that thing sucked fuel !!!

Two bikes behind my sedan used to suck fuel a bit. Behind the Grand Vitara I don't really notice it. Could be the slower speed contributing to it as well. 

The big thing is the **** footbeds and the bounce on my current rack. I also had one of the wheel straps tear and the clip broke. Thank goodness I always carry cargo straps in the car.

Pro tip: For 2 bikes, get a 3-bike model and remove the middle mounts.

I've done more than 100 trips with my Euroway 923, many of them running a Levo 6Fattie (3.0 rubber) on the mount closest to the car, and either Stumpy (2.6 rubber) or Diverge in furthest position. Just flip the droppers on both bikes down and literally nothing touches anywhere.

Get one, it's worth it.

Edited by LazyTrailRider