Tyre Deflating

Bundu Ric

Hi all, 

I have tubeless tyres on my bike and this morning the back was totally flat. 

I put in some new sealant as I could not pick up any puncture or sealant leaking on the actual tyre thread. 

After inflating the tyre again I picked up the leak, it is between the tyre wall and actual rim, so where the tyre wall meets the rim. 

The leak seams to be around 3cm but I cant see any damage on the wall. 

Any suggestions on how to fix or is this off to the lbs to sort out?

Sounds like the tyre not seating properly in that spot. Best would be to remove the tyre completely, clean the bead and reseat the tyre with new sealant. Could be that the tyre's bead in that particular spot is damaged as well

Hi all, 

I have tubeless tyres on my bike and this morning the back was totally flat. 

I put in some new sealant as I could not pick up any puncture or sealant leaking on the actual tyre thread. 

After inflating the tyre again I picked up the leak, it is between the tyre wall and actual rim, so where the tyre wall meets the rim. 

The leak seams to be around 3cm but I cant see any damage on the wall. 

Any suggestions on how to fix or is this off to the lbs to sort out?

Hold the wheel with that 3cm area at the bottom and bounce it on the floor for a minute. That should spread the sealant all over the inside and seal it up nicely.

If that doesn't work take the tyre off and check to see if the wall is damaged. 3cm sounds like too much for just a seating problem.

Sounds like the tyre not seating properly in that spot. Best would be to remove the tyre completely, clean the bead and reseat the tyre with new sealant. Could be that the tyre's bead in that particular spot is damaged as well

+1 - check that the bead runs nice and straight in that area (seated properly).

If you used an old tyre there might be a few blobs of dried sealant between tyre and rim.

I had a similar problem. I had to take the tyre off and apply a patch on the inside. It was just on top of the bead. The sealant did not want to seal on the sidewall. Battled for 2 weeks with the deflation.

If the problem is not with your tyre I would suggest do a remount of the tubeless tyre. Clean tyre between rim and bead, make sure both is clean, wet with soapy water. Seat tyre again and see if it works.

Good Luck 

There is a small ridge moulded into the tire just above the bead, this is a gauge to check if the tire is seated properly in the rim. Once you pumped the tire make sure you can see the ridge around the full circumference of the wheel on both sides and its the same distance from the rim - normally 1 or 2 mm.

I seen many tires mounted where the ridge disappears into the rim and this will eventually start leaking.

As previously stated remove the tire - clean the bead and the rim especially where the bead seats ypu may have some old sealant stuck in there

Could be the bottom half of a pinch flat, in which case plug it and carry on with your day.

Use some patch or fish line to repair the wall and then follow the above guidance

New tyre yes, bead / wall damaged  :mellow:

Thanks for all the guidance, much appreciated.

eh, I have the same issue. I have a slow leak on the rear tyre. I pump it up, go for a ride and after around ~20 odd km the wheel is near flat. Tyre is a Vittoria Barzo 2.30" that is only around 4 months old and has around 1200 km on it. Sealant was topped up about 3 weeks ago and in that time only around 100 km of tar riding has been added.

This is super interesting as I have exactly the same tyre on my bike. 

So after I got told by the lbs the wall / bead is damaged I replaced the tyre, but being slightly ocd I told them to replace the front as well. 

When I went to pick my bike, I did not get my damaged rear and non damaged front tyre back, is that normal?

eh, I have the same issue. I have a slow leak on the rear tyre. I pump it up, go for a ride and after around ~20 odd km the wheel is near flat. Tyre is a Vittoria Barzo 2.30" that is only around 4 months old and has around 1200 km on it. Sealant was topped up about 3 weeks ago and in that time only around 100 km of tar riding has been added.

This is super interesting as I have exactly the same tyre on my bike. 

So after I got told by the lbs the wall / bead is damaged I replaced the tyre, but being slightly ocd I told them to replace the front as well. 

When I went to pick my bike, I did not get my damaged rear and non damaged front tyre back, is that normal?

When U Take A Tubeless Tyre off a Rim, That Thing is like a Wet Fish.

All Slimy and Soggy with Sealant.

Imagine Putting that Thing in the Boot of Your Car, Best to Just Put it in the Dumpster.