Advice needed: XT 2x10 to SLX 1x12

Nardus Heymans

Hope this is the right place, lol.

ADVICE NEEDED PLEASE!!

I'm looking to downgrade from XT to SLX, but my setup now is 2x10 and I'm looking for a 1x12. Should I go for 2nd hand or is this one of those things that you buy new cuz it's better?

The new SLX 12 speed is excellent, and its not particularly expensive.  I suggest new.  You are going to want a new cassette anyway.  Maybe try to get an XT shifter, as it has the double downshift, which SLX doesn't have.

Andrew

ADVICE NEEDED PLEASE!!

I'm looking to downgrade from XT to SLX, but my setup now is 2x10 and I'm looking for a 1x12. Should I go for 2nd hand or is this one of those things that you buy new cuz it's better?

What exactly do you have now?  Some photos would make it a lot easier to help and make suggestions.

Agree, SLX is solid and not expensive, so yes rather go new.  You will need a Microspline freehub body though, thats why its important to know what you have now in terms of rear hub and crankset brand & model as examples.

Edited by TheoG

ADVICE NEEDED PLEASE!!

You Looking @ about 7k for the Parts(Kit) + Front Chain ring.The Rear Hub Might have to be replaced or a New Wheel or at Least a Microspline Freebody.

Depending on the Bike it might be more cost effective to sell the Bike and buy a new bike with 1X12 already Fitted. You don't get many second hand parts that are 1x12 compatible.

https://www.cyclelab.com/product/shimano-slx-m7100-12spd-upgrade-kit-excl-hubs?utm_campaign=12444251675&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_content=501737970148&utm_term=&adgroupid=117878761149&gclid=CjwKCAiAp4KCBhB6EiwAxRxbpGzbAaufoXwxIqUlH2jjOXhxAQRQSTw4gdO-5eIHGgPlHo067NwJ-hoCewoQAvD_BwE

In my View the Benefit of 2 Extra Gears is Quite Irrelevant.

1X10 11-42 at the Back and 32 or 34 in Front is a solid system.

Edited by dasilvarsa

I have had 1x/2x/3x10 1x11 and 1x12. I have gone back to 11spd running xo1 with 11-50 cassette. Shifting is super smooth and it's set and forget till the cable needs replacing and replacing parts are half of the price of 12spd. Just my two cents.

Edited by Me rida my bicycle

I have had 1x/2x/3x10 1x11 and 1x12. I have gone back to 11spd running xo1 with 11-50 cassette. Shifting is super smooth and it's set and forget till the cable needs replacing and replacing parts are half of the price of 12spd. Just my two cents.

After two bikes with 1x12 SRAM GX I now have three bikes, all with 1x11.

Simply brilliant !!!

Hi

My 2c is if you are going to change also consider running XT with a Sunrace cassette, 1x11 or 1x12, if your bike can handle it you can get the 11 - 50 to run well in both set ups, its not as good as full XT but much cheaper. Also your 2x crank can convert to 1x so you don't need the whole group set.

Marc