cycling and faith

Tumbleweed

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Gosh, I have just read that my hub nemesis in the form of Big H has quit the hub. Well, it is a bad habitLOL

One week away from the hub and you are out of touchShocked

Hi Joe,

Yeah, nothing like jumping right in the deep end - couldnt resist - I LUV a good debate! Still finding my way around, hope to be a bit more active ... not so much "heavy" stuff...

Thanks for the warm welcome. Smile

Hardcore man... are you by any chance H-potato in disguise? 

Er, nope - I'm the one and only Rogz!

Rogz' date=' you are right up my alley, welcome brother, and no, I am not double posting Big H![/quote']

Thanks man, know I'm gonna enjoy it here Wink

Hi Joe' date='

Yeah, nothing like jumping right in the deep end - couldnt resist - I LUV a good debate! Still finding my way around, hope to be a bit more active ... not so much "heavy" stuff...

Thanks for the warm welcome. Smile
[/quote']

The debates around here often require a baseball bat and gumguards...

TNT12008-07-11 06:30:09

Thanks Decibach' date=' good to be here![/quote']

With that 1st jump...

do you cycle? or just surfing....?

Cycle, for sure (mainly road, but also mtb every now and then), but I kind of hibernate a bit in winter, so havent been too active on the bike recently... also trying to get back into a bit of running (nothing to serious, max 21km), but thats hasnt gone to well recently either. Man, I hate the cold weather!!!!

Yep' date=' I believe the same, knowing that everything that happens to you is pre-determined, and happens for a reason.  Everyone may not belive the same, but yep thats my take on life.  don't be dissatisfied with your life as there are many more people out there who are worse off or in similar situations and that you are only put in a but situation as a learning experience and for you to come out a better or stronger person.

[/quote']

Sounds terrible! ".. knowing that everything that happens to you is pre-determined .." Why bother living? Its like an old recorded movie that you know how it ends... sure you can sit and watch, but why bother when you could just as well fast forward to the end? Why bother mindlessly going through the motions?And why bother behaving, working, not working, being law-abiding, or whatever? If its all pre-determined, you may as well just go wild, because they way you behave, the decisions you make, etc wont change anything. Or just kill youself now - if you are not in control of your destiny, and you just kill youself now, then thats fine, because it must have all been part of Gods plan...

Me, I believe that *I* am in control of my destiny, and that the choice and decisions I make have direct consequences. If I work hard, I'm rewarded (usually). If I don't work, I'll (soon) be broke. That kind of thing. Sure, some things happen over which I have no control (like if a taxi runs me over), but I'd rack that up to plain bad luck and being in the wrong place at the wrong time - or at least, I sure hope it wasnt all part of God's plan!

You misinterpret the whole debate Rogz or maybe you just wanted to be controversial.?

Christians believe that your life IS mapped out for you, because God has planned good things for all his followers, YOU dont know what that map is, but God dos.

However, here on earth, we have free will to follow Gods map or follow Satans map.

If you believe in God as your father and creator, you will follow his map and his plan will come to pass.

If you dont, well, Satans plan may come to pass.

So, we believe as christians when we go around making plans and spinning wheels,its not us, its God working THROUGH us and putting his plan into action by opening doors we need to walk through and closing those we dont.

As for the snide remark about killing yourself, well if you were a christian you would know that suicide is against the will of God, and anything against the will of God is from Satan.

God put you here and you remain here, because he wants you to be here, to do something for him, or he wants to do something through you, when its time he will call you home (his plan) but, only God, has that right to call you home.

porky2008-07-11 10:11:17

Porky, please qualify your statement on what christians believe. ?Some christians believe that life is a struggle between right and wrong (ie God and Satan). ?Others tend to shy away from such broad sweaping statements of Black and White.

This fundementalist leaning is actually very insulting to the intellect of most people and is the result some christians that have such views are ridiculed and ignored. ?Faith is far more complex and subtle to catergorise as right or wrong.

I have been waiting for a long time to post a monolog on faith and doubt and how the two are mutually dependent. ?You God vs Satan posting gives me this window.

Knowledge is belief that has been proven.

Faith is belief despite doubt. ?

Thus the greater the evidence of a belief the more chance it will be seen as common knowledge. ?However, the greater the doubt about something the greater the faith is required to believe it. ?THis is the crux of why God refuses to reveal himself in his true glory, because if he does that there will be no faith and thus no religion ext. ?

So by making things simple (removing doubt) you are actually undermining your own FAITH in God, your demand for knowledge has undermined your spirituality.

Porky' date=' please qualify your statement on what christians believe.  Some christians believe that life is a struggle between right and wrong (ie God and Satan).  Others tend to shy away from such broad sweaping statements of Black and White.

This fundementalist leaning is actually very insulting to the intellect of most people and is the result some christians that have such views are ridiculed and ignored.  Faith is far more complex and subtle to catergorise as right or wrong.

I have been waiting for a long time to post a monolog on faith and doubt and how the two are mutually dependent.  You God vs Satan posting gives me this window.

Knowledge is belief that has been proven.

Faith is belief despite doubt.  

Thus the greater the evidence of a belief the more chance it will be seen as common knowledge.  However, the greater the doubt about something the greater the faith is required to believe it.  THis is the crux of why God refuses to reveal himself in his true glory, because if he does that there will be no faith and thus no religion ext.  

So by making things simple (removing doubt) you are actually undermining your own FAITH in God, your demand for knowledge has undermined your spirituality.

[/quote']

Simply put, but profound. ClapGood stuff which I will use in my discussions with some dogmatic evil vs good Christian friends I have.

PS- am curious about your bike. You obviously have Kona. Road bike or MTB? I have a Kona road bike, and I have only ever seen one other like it in races. Fantastic bike. Ying%20Yang 

I have a kona road bike , the scadium kona kona with the easton carbon back stays. ?It is the only one in South Africa, that I know of. ?(had it imported). ?I used to have a Kona Haole (Blue paint) (also a road bike) which is easton ultralite (I gave that one to my brother) ?THere are about twenty of these in the country.