Garmin 530

meyrdup@gmail.com

19 minutes ago, Skubarra said:

Given that my Garmin dies on average once a year I think its good to invest in a cheap backup unit that you can use while you go through the warranty process - quick google search shows there a few options available that can do the basic gps & heart rate monitor, bluetooth functionality for less than 1K 

Edit - personally also why I would never buy a Garmin second hand or do a grey import - I need that warranty process to be smooth

We also had a 530 die on us recently, took it to Garmin myself. They said they'll send the replacement to me in 5 days, which will put it bordering on delivery before 94.7

That being said, if you are not in Joeys you can either send it direct to Garmin for warranty or send it to me and I'll take it there for you, explain your need for it and hopefully they can rabbit hat something in time for you

As for a cheap (bullet proof) replacement, get a Lezyne. New they're about 2k for a super enhanced gps which will monitor your cadence, hrm etc. 

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

11 minutes ago, 117 said:

We also had a 530 die on us recently, took it to Garmin myself. They said they'll send the replacement to me in 5 days, which will put it bordering on delivery before 94.7

That being said, if you are not in Joeys you can either send it direct to Garmin for warranty or send it to me and I'll take it there for you, explain your need for it and hopefully they can rabbit hat something in time for you

As for a cheap (bullet proof) replacement, get a Lezyne. New they're about 2k for a super enhanced gps which will monitor your cadence, hrm etc. 

Thanks for the offer @117 - yes I think 5 days will be cutting it a bit fine as I am based in CPT.

Will take a look at the Lezyne as a backup

On 11/11/2022 at 9:49 AM, 117 said:

Postnet it over the weekend, it should be by them on monday - call them to explain and I'm sure they'll be able to help out

So thats what I did - phoned today, they received it, turnaround time for assessment 10 to 14 days....

So no 94.7 and DC with a Garmin 🤷‍♂️

Got a XOSS (what a terrible name) at a cheap price, at least it can do the basics and I can continue to record my rides and I have backup for when my Garmin fails again in 2023.

So funny when I googled the address for their Joburg office I found the Garmin SA slogan. I applaud their sense of humour 😂

From Garmin Southern Africa

"Built to last. Three simple words that describe our products

Yeah, I hear you. I've heard nothing for a week since dropping the 530 off with them for replacement. In a world where after sales service is so important, the times when the little things get overlooked is incredible. 

I do love my Lezyne 

I've had my Garmin 510 for over 10 years and its still going strong.................I bought a 530 from a friend as I need the Navigation recently, lets see what happens.......

12 minutes ago, 117 said:

Yeah, I hear you. I've heard nothing for a week since dropping the 530 off with them for replacement. In a world where after sales service is so important, the times when the little things get overlooked is incredible. 

I do love my Lezyne 

Just got off the blower with them. I'm utterly appalled by the lack of feed back and accountability 

All they could tell me was I will receive an email by COB tomorrow... which I find p!ss poor as a response from a big brand name. 
From what I did learn on the 9min phone call was that the 530 I dropped off is the only one in for replacement/repairs for the last week now, and unfortunately there is only one technician working on a range of different units. This is why its a minimum of 7 to 10 working days for them to give you a reply and a finding. 
But because they do not have a proper ticketing system with reference numbers of units that come in (read as any type of garmin product), there is no proper systems in place to give correct feed back to clients, nor the attention to the repairs - I got the impression its on a first come first serve basis and if the technician decides to work on the 530's on day 9, well, then that's your rotten luck. 

Its a pity though as I truly believe they are market leaders for systems and integrations into IOT and the likes, but their local back office really needs a shake up

Seems my rant helped. They've somehow managed to test the unit and determine that it needs to be replaced FOC under warranty. 
They also created a job card as well as the shipping documents needed all in the space of 34min. 

Why did it take 7 days and an irate phone call to get that service? 

Edited by 117
Speeeling

42 minutes ago, 117 said:

Just got off the blower with them. I'm utterly appalled by the lack of feed back and accountability 

All they could tell me was I will receive an email by COB tomorrow... which I find p!ss poor as a response from a big brand name. 
From what I did learn on the 9min phone call was that the 530 I dropped off is the only one in for replacement/repairs for the last week now, and unfortunately there is only one technician working on a range of different units. This is why its a minimum of 7 to 10 working days for them to give you a reply and a finding. 
But because they do not have a proper ticketing system with reference numbers of units that come in (read as any type of garmin product), there is no proper systems in place to give correct feed back to clients, nor the attention to the repairs - I got the impression its on a first come first serve basis and if the technician decides to work on the 530's on day 9, well, then that's your rotten luck. 

Its a pity though as I truly believe they are market leaders for systems and integrations into IOT and the likes, but their local back office really needs a shake up

reminds me of Canon back in 2009.

We're shooting Ms World, have been with them for a couple of weeks and are around a week away from the actual event. The 1 camera we really really needed decides to throw a wobbly at a dinner event.

Book it into CameraTek as the only approved Canon repair centre at the time. Turn around time was something like 10 working days. No matter how much we tried to explain that this is the camera that was going to capture the Ms World Crowning for all the world to see they were not interested.

i've yet to have a Edge device make it out of warranty without needing a replacement.

510, 520 and 530. in total 4 times with those devices

i've since moved on to Hammerhead Karoo 2 - about the same price. 

the key difference is the warranty is double that of Garmin. 2 years vs 1 year.

the live track is not as good on the Karoo - it sends out an email ONCE went first setup, and never again. so your loved ones are never informed you have left on a ride and instead need to track down an ancient email to actually follow you.

this is the only reason i would recommend Garmin over the Karoo

Edited by Furbz

1 hour ago, 117 said:

Seems my rant helped. They've somehow managed to test the unit and determine that it needs to be replaced FOC under warranty. 
They also created a job card as well as the shipping documents needed all in the space of 34min. 

Why did it take 7 days and an irate phone call to get that service? 

Sad thing is there actually was a time when their after sale service / warranty process was very good

1 hour ago, Furbz said:

i've yet to have a Edge device make it out of warranty without needing a replacement.

Sounds like you guys have had some bad luck with your Garmins.

Over 11 years of cycling, I have only had 3 Garmins - 500 and 2x 520 (one I replaced under warranty due to water ingress after riding in a very heavy thunderstorm). My Fenix 3 is still going strong almost 6 years later...

@Skubarra,

I still have my trusty 500 around if you would like to borrow it?

1 hour ago, Furbz said:

i've since moved on to Hammerhead Karoo 2 - about the same price. 

the key difference is the warranty is double that of Garmin. 2 years vs 1 year.

the live track is not as good on the Karoo - it sends out an email ONCE went first setup, and never again. so your loved ones are never informed you have left on a ride and instead need to track down an ancient email to actually follow you.

this is the only reason i would recommend Garmin over the Karoo

That Garmin live track is useless if the unit decides to reboot during the ride.

22 minutes ago, Schnavel said:

Sounds like you guys have had some bad luck with your Garmins.

Over 11 years of cycling, I have only had 3 Garmins - 500 and 2x 520 (one I replaced under warranty due to water ingress after riding in a very heavy thunderstorm). My Fenix 3 is still going strong almost 6 years later...

@Skubarra,

I still have my trusty 500 around if you would like to borrow it?

Loved that old 500 - that little thing was bulletproof! Probably got a few 1000 hours out of that unit before one of the buttons finally perished of overuse.

Thanks for the offer but I'm good - the Xoss seems quite capable for a cheapie.

32 minutes ago, DieselnDust said:

That Garmin live track is useless if the unit decides to reboot during the ride.

or if Garmin decides to do a software update and breaks it so it no longer auto starts. This seems to happen more often than it should. (although I must say its been pretty stable for the last while)