Scalpel chain line very close to frame

Lance Roberts

Hi everyone,

I just bought a second hand Scalpel from a nice guy on the Hub. I'm extremely happy with the bike, and everything is as promised. 

I only have one issue that I would like to ask the knowledgeable people on the hub about which worries me a little bit.

The bike has a XX1 Eagle group set and the chain line on the small rear gear is very close to the frame, and this will definitely start to wear into the frame. Is this normal, or is it missing a spacer or anything?

See attached picture of the chain and cassette.

post-41665-0-05181200-1618909151_thumb.jpeg

The line from the large rear gear to the front is also quite extreme.

post-41665-0-23245900-1618909159_thumb.jpeg

I was told the bike frame is a 2019 HiMod Scalpel, but I'm struggling to find any manuals for it online, most manuals are for the "lower" models.

post-41665-0-47364900-1618909314_thumb.jpeg

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice looking bike, how much was it if you don't mind me asking?

That gap does look mighty small, did the bike come specced with that groupset from the factory?

Edited by Skylark

and this will definitely start to wear into the frame. 

Is it touching the frame? If it isn't, how will it definitely lead to it wearing the frame? If it is, then there's a problem.

Nice looking bike, how much was it if you don't mind me asking?

That gap does look mighty small, did the bike come specced with that groupset from the factory?

I'm not sure what groupset the bike came out with, it was replaced a couple months ago and is still brand new, only did one ride. So it could've been something else.

Sorry, I would rather not say the price.

running boost wheelset on a non boost frame? 

The frame is full of stickers which say the frame must have "AI" (Asymmetric Integration) wheels, and the ENVE M50 wheels on the bike have the same stickers on them, stating they are such wheels.

Sorry, it's my first Cannondale, so most of this is new to me. Hoping someone with the same bike could help.

Is it touching the frame? If it isn't, how will it definitely lead to it wearing the frame? If it is, then there's a problem.

There is a plastic protector between the frame and the chain, and the chain is rubbing on the plastic. So it's not touch the frame as such, bit yet any way, if you know what I mean.

it is a hi-mod, but from 2019 and up they have the ocho fourk, this is the 2018 hi mod team edition. Still a very expensive bike because of its wheels. I have never seen the wheels with those stickers though on this specific bike, the originals are like on this one : https://bikeindex.org/bikes/672286

Edited by Jbr

it is a hi-mod, but from 2019 and up they have the ocho fourk, this is the 2018 hi mod team edition. Still a very expensive bike because of its wheels.

Thanks for clearing that up, was wondering about it. It's still in very nice condition, so the year model doesn't really matter to me that much.

Yes i have seen that on dale si's a few times (maybe 5 times )

But i hqve not heqrd of someone wearing the chain through the frame so i thi k you shpuld be fine

I think its the limit screws on the rear mech that needs adjustment. The rear mech is going too far and a slight adjustment will move the chain away from the frame. 

Yes i have seen that on dale si's a few times (maybe 5 times )

But i hqve not heqrd of someone wearing the chain through the frame so i thi k you shpuld be fine

Thanks for the reply, and I really hope you're right, it wont be cheap to replace a rear triangle.

I found a manual for the bike, and the attachment below shows what they say about the AI wheels etc. As far as I can see everything is as it must be, and it should'nt cause any damage if it's all installed correctly.

post-41665-0-68920800-1618911573_thumb.jpg

I think its the limit screws on the rear mech that needs adjustment. The rear mech is going too far and a slight adjustment will move the chain away from the frame. 

I thought about that too, but the limit screw changes the chain line below the cassette, the rubbing part is the part of the chain above the cassette. Hope that, makes sense.

I'll have a look at the adjustment and report back.

I thought about that too, but the limit screw changes the chain line below the cassette, the rubbing part is the part of the chain above the cassette. Hope that, makes sense.

I'll have a look at the adjustment and report back.

Yes, very much doubt it's the limit screw, unless it's reaaaaally way out but then you'd get your chain stuck between the cassette and the frame if it was the case.

What I don't understand is : is the chain very close to the frame or is it rubbing against the frame ?

Clearances are tiny on those scalpels, so it is fairly normal that here and there it gets very close (my power meter comes about 1,5mm from my chainstay), as long as it's not touching you're fine, if it is, then make sure you don't have any spacers behind your casette, and maybe check with a shop if they can change the offset on your chainring, pushing it a little bit inside the bike might fix that.

Edited by Jbr

Not sure if you have any expert Cannondale dealers near you but it would be good to compare it to another bike and get their opinion if possible?

This is my bike (2019, with a shimano XT cassette, no spacers)

post-139805-0-89247900-1618912532_thumb.jpeg

it is very close indeed, but there is a little plastic guard between the frame and the chain. not sure if it actually rubs or not