Scalpel chain line very close to frame

Lance Roberts

Hi guys,

Just been to Bike Guru in Hillcrest. The tech had a good look at the clearances and according to him it looks fine. The tolerances on these bikes just seem to be very fine, but it should be ok, and I can now hit the trails hard.

Thanks for all the feedback and advice, as always The Hub community has been great!

See you on the trails.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Lance, a friend was recently telling me a story about how his mate had a wheelset built up for his scalpel and they dished it the wrong way for the Cannondale AI offset so they had to rebuild the wheel. Of course most of the story went over my head as a) I am mechanically inept and b) I am a roadie 

Is there any chance this could be the issue you have - the wheelset needs to be dished 6mm to the non-drive side (thus moving cassette 6mm away from chainstay)?

Sorry if someone brought this up already

Thanks for the reply, and I really hope you're right, it wont be cheap to replace a rear triangle.

I found a manual for the bike, and the attachment below shows what they say about the AI wheels etc. As far as I can see everything is as it must be, and it should'nt cause any damage if it's all installed correctly.

attachicon.gifManual.jpg

Looks like you can see what I am talking about here in the manual.

Hi Lance, a friend was recently telling me a story about how his mate had a wheelset built up for his scalpel and they dished it the wrong way for the Cannondale AI offset so they had to rebuild the wheel. Of course most of the story went over my head as a) I am mechanically inept and b) I am a roadie 

Is there any chance this could be the issue you have - the wheelset needs to be dished 6mm to the non-drive side (thus moving cassette 6mm away from chainstay)?

I think his Enve M50's are AI specific anyway.

Edited by TNT1

I've had this on a bike i did. Building over from a current bike I had to redish the wheel. Then the said bike later upgraded to carbon wheels, I forgot about the offset after building the wheel then had to redish that wheel as well.

It must be said the hub stays "stationary" in the frame regardless of the dish. The dish would move the rim and the spokes (angle).

...OP that is normal, I won't express my extreme not so much like for Cannondale and their stupid standards.

Edited by Meezo

I've had this on a bike i did. Building over from a current bike I had to redish the wheel. Then the said bike later upgraded to carbon wheels, I forgot about the offset after building the wheel then had to redish that wheel as well.

It must be said the hub stays "stationary" in the frame regardless of the dish. The dish would move the rim and the spokes (angle).

...OP that is normal, I won't express my extreme not so much like for Cannondale and their stupid standards.

Okay awesome, glad I could waste everyone's time haha... I am gonna get back to work now