Website update gremlins

On 6/12/2023 at 5:35 PM, Meezo said:

Might be old news, but is it normal for the active topics to not save the filter of all content?

So articles and off topic stuff i haven't seen up until like 2 weeks ago wondering about the "i have an idea of new thread" thread

Screenshot_20230612_173316_Chrome~2.jpg

mine hasnt saved that setting since the update. I either just leave an active topic tab open in my browser or if I happen to close it I go and change that setting out of habbit.

• Replies 573
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On 6/10/2023 at 6:53 AM, RobertWhitehead said:

I've been having endless issues with the website of late. Maybe it is the lack of sleep from the little one but I constantly have to find clever workarounds to make basic stuff work. Let me list the items that pokes the bear: 

1) I can't load photos onto my ads directly from my phone. My phone - Samsung galaxy S21 (something or other) takes quite good quality pics so size is an issue. I then email the pics to a laptop / pc to reduce the size before uploading. This is an unnecessary step but I have been doing it for quite some time now (even with the previous phone I had to do this - Samsung A51) 

2) This morning I've discovered that the extension Samsung now use for their photos are: .heic - this means I now have to use another camera or change the extention of every photo before uploading it - yet another work around for something that should be basic. 

3) The screen jumps on my phone i.e. every time I change from typing (keyboard) to pointer in the comments box the screen doesn't remain static, it jumps back to the top and the cursor drops at some random place. This happens if I want to add an emoji as well. It drops the emoji anywhere, mid sentence, at the beginning of the comment box, anywhere. I then can't delete it as it almost becomes a permanent item. Again, I then have to find a cute way of getting it off my screen and then add it to the correct place. 

4) Couldn't one always be able to start threads / topics from your phone? 

Sorry for the delay @RobertWhitehead

On your points, I have a few questions that will help us to track down the cause(es):

1) Could you share the file size of a typical photo on your phone? Are you unable to upload due to the file size or the HEIC format?

2) Support for HEIC image uploads to ads is on our to-do list. It's unfortunately a format/standard that's not yet widely supported and not yet natively supported by the image processing tools we use, but we're actively looking at workarounds. 

In the meantime, unless you specifically want the HEIC format the best would be to set the default on your phone to JPEG.

3) How are you inserting emojis, via the phone keyboard or the icon in the tool bar on the comment box? It would be very helpful if you could share a screen recording of this. It's not something we've encountered on any of the devices we use.

4) You should be able to start a topic from any device. Are you not seeing this option or encountering an error?
image.jpeg

On 6/12/2023 at 5:35 PM, Meezo said:

Might be old news, but is it normal for the active topics to not save the filter of all content?

So articles and off topic stuff i haven't seen up until like 2 weeks ago wondering about the "i have an idea of new thread" thread

Screenshot_20230612_173316_Chrome~2.jpg

By default the active topics view does exclude the off topic sections. The forum platform does offer options to allow users to save their own feeds, but at the moment our site only loads the standard Active topics view - there's no easy way to access custom/saved feeds. 

We can look at how that can be incorporated.

• 1 month later...
26 minutes ago, The Ouzo said:

Trying to edit a post I made, posted from my phone, trying to edit on the pc, I get this

image.png.303c41b211a6f429461c6b31839b664d.png

Does the same occur trying to edit any post or only those made via mobile?

5 minutes ago, Matt said:

I had the same a few min back on my phone but it works fine on my PC.

23 minutes ago, Matt said:

Will give it a go on this post

Edit: this is my edit, if you see this then its working from PC

Edit 2: might have been a temporary thing, I went back to that post again now and managed to edit it.

Edited by The Ouzo

We had some overly zealous firewall rules in place that would have been impacting some edit and other functionality on the forums, apologies!

1 hour ago, Oepsie94 said:

Anyone else that also can't get into their own ads or messages to respond to people?

Please could you retry, there was a general issue affecting certain parts of the site earlier but was resolved earlier this morning.

2 minutes ago, Arrie said:

im having the same issue but only on Chrome. Edge works fine

It's likely just an issue with the cache on Chrome. 

Please try a forced page refresh - Ctrl + F5 or Cmd + F5. Or clear your browser cache.

I’m having an issue that I can’t see any adds if I click on a section. It just gives a blank screen, this is across multiple devices. It started yesterday.  So the only adds I can see is on the Home Screen on the newly listed

18 minutes ago, Scott roy said:

I’m having an issue that I can’t see any adds if I click on a section. It just gives a blank screen, this is across multiple devices. It started yesterday.  So the only adds I can see is on the Home Screen on the newly listed

Have you tried the a hard refresh on these pages or browser cache clearing Matt suggested above?