Trainer tyre

meyrdup@gmail.com

Hi everyone

Recently got n Kickr Snap to train on, put my road bike on it and after 30 minutes the tyre basically exploded. 

Should I use a trainer specific tyre on the trainer, a different inner tube or what advice does anyone have? 

Thanks!

Never had a standard road tire explode on me and i used to use all my old road tires but they did wear and coat the floor with fine rubber - I then got one of those Blue Tacx trainer tires which works perfect. Also make sure your load on the tire from the trainer isn't too high. 

6 minutes ago, madmarc said:

Never had a standard road tire explode on me and i used to use all my old road tires but they did wear and coat the floor with fine rubber - I then got one of those Blue Tacx trainer tires which works perfect. Also make sure your load on the tire from the trainer isn't too high. 

Thanks marc. So the Tacx will be worth it? And then to tighten the tyre against the flywheel, one video I watch said as soon as the tyre touches the flywheel, turn the knob 2 full turns, how did you go about tightening the knob?

I would recommend a trainer tyre. However, during the early days of covid  there were no tyres available, so i got a cheap road tyre from Sportsmans Warehouse, think it cost R100 as i would use it in the interim, expecting it to explode eventually with the heat transfer from the trainer, but would be a stop gap until there were trainer tyres available. Am still using that cheap tyre and it works well. The rubber compound in these cheap tyres is hard, so does the job.

8 minutes ago, meyrdup@gmail.com said:

Thanks marc. So the Tacx will be worth it? And then to tighten the tyre against the flywheel, one video I watch said as soon as the tyre touches the flywheel, turn the knob 2 full turns, how did you go about tightening the knob?

I tightened it just enough so it didn't slip when putting the power down, when you get on and start peddling from standstill very hard it normally slips a bit until the roller speeds up - as long as it doesn't slip during a training session. Also make sure the tire pressure is at its highest - I think the Tacx is 110 psi (7.5 bar) max (you can read that on the sidewall) i normally made sure the pressure was between 7.5 & 8.0 bar. My Tacx tire developed some cracks in the sidewalls but it never became an issue.

Certainly avoid using light weight race tyres on the trainer.

Trainer tyres are worth getting.

I'm using a Tacx at the moment but I don't think it's as good as the Continental yellow one which I used for years before needing to be replaced ...

You need to calibrate the trainer via the app (Wahoo). The app will tell you if its too loose or  too tight. I have a Tacx tire hanging here in my house for almost a year now (it came with the trainer I bought). It's a 28 x 1.25 and has only been used once by the previous owner. I still ride a 26er so have no use for it. 

DSC_0494.JPG

Edited by RobertWhitehead