Drivetrain advice

RDL101

Good afternoon. Wanted to know if one can use a 12speed sram shifter in a 11 speed sram derailleur and cassette. 11 speed shifters seems difficult to source at the moment and I already have the 11 speed derailleur. 
Thank you in advance

I don't think so - different pull ratios - but double check on google. I have a SRAM GX shifter 11sp available. DM me if interested.

Some people are going to say you can't and that you should stick to each category.

In actual fact, they have the same actuation (SRAM at least has).

So yes - you can mix and match SRAM 11 and 12 speed drivetrains.

The total gear spacing (depth of the gears combination) are the same for both, hence you need a smaller shift distance for 12 than for 11.  Shimano XTR shifter have a selection toggle between 11 and 12 speed, so you can use it for either.  If the 12sp SRAM shifter also have this yes, otherwise no, it will not shift properly.

46 minutes ago, M L said:

Some people are going to say you can't and that you should stick to each category.

In actual fact, they have the same actuation (SRAM at least has).

So yes - you can mix and match SRAM 11 and 12 speed drivetrains.

Are you saying the "SHIFTER" has the same distance "per shift" ?

Is the difference in DERAILURE MOVEMENT resolved at the derailure ?

22 minutes ago, ChrisF said:

Apparently the derailleur magically know to shift little bit more or little bit less as soon as you fit a 11 or 12 speed shifter...

???? ????

No it won't be an issue to use the 12 speed shifter on the 11 speed derailleur. The moment you start using Shimano on SRAM then you'll start having an issue. Your limit screws will determine the number of clicks the shifter gives. You can reduce the number of clicks but not increase them. 

Pitch forks out everyone ????

2 minutes ago, RobertWhitehead said:

No it won't be an issue to use the 12 speed shifter on the 11 speed derailleur. The moment you start using Shimano on SRAM then you'll start having an issue. Your limit screws will determine the number of clicks the shifter gives. You can reduce the number of clicks but not increase them. 

And yet many users have stated that this mixing works 100% ....

somehow either one of these statements are correct and the other one not ......

Would love to know the CORRECT facts and options .....

11 minutes ago, ChrisF said:

And yet many users have stated that this mixing works 100% ....

somehow either one of these statements are correct and the other one not ......

Would love to know the CORRECT facts and options .....

I can test it and confirm ????. I have both Shimano and SRAM 9, 10 & 11 speed components. 

17 hours ago, ChrisF said:

Not sure what you're asking.

The 11/12 speed sram shifters moves the cable with the exact same distance, yes.

The derailleurs move depending on the above. If you're using a 12 speed shifter then it can move to the 12th cog on your cassette, if it's an 11 speed shifter then it can only move to the 11th cog on cassette.

You can use an 11 speed shifter with a 12 speed derailleur and vice versa.

The 12 speed derailleur has a longer cage to better accommodate the 50t cog at the back but you can still get an 11 speed sram rear derailleur onto the 12th cog if you use a 12 speed sram shifter for it.

17 hours ago, TheoG said:

Apparently the derailleur magically know to shift little bit more or little bit less as soon as you fit a 11 or 12 speed shifter...

???? ????

Sorry but was this a joke or do you really think that rear derailleurs, using the same pull ratio, is shifter dependent?

So is this only applicable to SRAM? I have a 12 spd SLX groupset. If the shifting between 11 and 12spd is the same, can I use an 11spd 105 cassette on the trainer, with my 12spd SLX shifter and derailleur? 

1 hour ago, M L said:

Sorry but was this a joke or do you really think that rear derailleurs, using the same pull ratio, is shifter dependent?

Sarcasm/Joke, thought that was obvious ... 

29 minutes ago, Vaultboy said:

So is this only applicable to SRAM? I have a 12 spd SLX groupset. If the shifting between 11 and 12spd is the same, can I use an 11spd 105 cassette on the trainer, with my 12spd SLX shifter and derailleur? 

The short answer is no.  The total travel for 11 vs 12 is the same but the increment is smaller on 12 to get to 12 shifts in the same travel overall.

1 hour ago, M L said:

Not sure what you're asking.

The 11/12 speed sram shifters moves the cable with the exact same distance, yes.

The derailleurs move depending on the above. If you're using a 12 speed shifter then it can move to the 12th cog on your cassette, if it's an 11 speed shifter then it can only move to the 11th cog on cassette.

You can use an 11 speed shifter with a 12 speed derailleur and vice versa.

The 12 speed derailleur has a longer cage to better accommodate the 50t cog at the back but you can still get an 11 speed sram rear derailleur onto the 12th cog if you use a 12 speed sram shifter for it.

Sorry not true.  Put a 11sp and 12 sp cassette on a flat table and compare the height, it is the same, hence you need "smaller" shifts for 12sp.

17 hours ago, RobertWhitehead said:

Yes if you use it with a 12sp cassette.  12sp shifter with a 11sp cassette will NOT work properly over the full range.  You might be able to get the majority of the gears to work OKish, but it would never shift as its supposed to.

Edited by TheoG