SRAM Guide RS bleeding issues.

Wannabe

Sounds like your lever position is out. Tweak reach adjust and pull the lever slowly while applying a bit of pressure at the caliper syringe. If the lever springs back when you pull the brake, it's not a sticky piston.

The other weird one I've had with Juicys back in the day was a rusted compression nut which pinched the hose shut. If the reach adjust tweakery doesn't work, disconnect the hose at the lever and see if fluid comes through. If it does, the issue is in the lever, if not then it's in the hose somewhere.

Have you successfully bled these brakes before?

Droo, they were bled by the LBS who did a lever rebuild for me on both levers. This was the first time I tried to bleed it after that.

I undid the hose at both the lever and caliper and drain all the fluid from it, as well as the reservoir. It was clear and drained without fuss.

The lever returns to position with a positive spring back, so I doubt it is a sticky piston. You might be on to something with the reach adjust, as I did not realize the importance of that. so I skipped that step. Will give it another try when I can borrow the bleeding kit again. 

The reach adjust step is important because the timing port between the reservoir and the master piston closes at a certain point in the lever stroke. If the reach is too far out, the port is closed you won't get fluid past the master piston seal into the syringe.

10 minutes ago, droo said:

The reach adjust step is important because the timing port between the reservoir and the master piston closes at a certain point in the lever stroke. If the reach is too far out, the port is closed you won't get fluid past the master piston seal into the syringe.

Thanks for that crucial piece of info. Will double check on that.