Choosing a Seat

AllenH

4 minutes ago, Trashy said:

Thanks for the suggestion, I'll check it out for sure! Do they only come in the one size?

I found one for sale online but they didn't state the width.

No problem

Different widths. The C15 is 140mm, C17 is 164mm and the C19 if I remember correctly is 184mm. The lower the number the narrower they get. They even come in carved variants but I personally dont like the carved ones.... 

brooks-cambium-c15-saddle.jpg

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, BogusOne said:

No problem

Different widths. The C15 is 140mm, C17 is 164mm and the C19 if I remember correctly is 184mm. The lower the number the narrower they get. They even come in carved variants but I personally dont like the carved ones.... 

brooks-cambium-c15-saddle.jpg

Really appreciate the feedback, thanks!

I have been using a Phenom, the 155mm I really enjoyed, the 143mm caused me pain.

With my lower back issue though I need to be more upright so need to go one wider, hence 164mm ish.

The C17 looks really good. I can only find the all weather version locally. Is that fine or is leather best?

On 11/4/2021 at 4:58 PM, AllenH said:

Decided to treat the Cheeks and get a new seat.

I saw some nice ones for around R500 or so at Cycle Lab with padding and gel and what what,

What are the factors to look at when buying a seat, all I know now is that there's seats for Males and Females? And it's R500 a decent enough budget for a weekend warrior just starting out.

Like some have mentioned, padding/gel isn't everything. I have nice but hard road saddle and its still super comfy after 3 hours. Fit is vital!

12 minutes ago, Trashy said:

Really appreciate the feedback, thanks!

I have been using a Phenom, the 155mm I really enjoyed, the 143mm caused me pain.

With my lower back issue though I need to be more upright so need to go one wider, hence 164mm ish.

The C17 looks really good. I can only find the all weather version locally. Is that fine or is leather best?

Anytime man :thumbup:

The leather is good and comfy and eventually takes the shape of your behind over time and I wouldn't think twice to use it on a more retro build.

But for a more modern machine with still the same comfort levels of the leather the all weather Cambium is by far my 1st choice. 

2 hours ago, Chadvdw67 said:

Agreed, I wouldn't go for a fitting again, but my last 3 bikes I have just setup myself "by feel" and I have been very happy with that, where as other people are more sensitive to it, and I assume @ChrisF is one of those, as he frequently says that it is one of the most important pieces to the puzzle that is biking pleasure

I made sure to get a 101 measurements for the saddle position.

Will aim to get the sit bone position 99,9% in the same position, and work from there