Choosing a Seat

AllenH

+1 for Ryder force if you want to try out the Power shape without dropping the big bucks for the big S. They pop up on here occasionally for R250. I have an Sworks Power on one bike and the Ryder as a spare saddle, but I am trying it on a borrowed bike at the moment and it is noticeably less stiff under my fairly slight behind. Shape feels pretty much identical though.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

19 hours ago, AllenH said:

Decided to treat the Cheeks and get a new seat.

I saw some nice ones for around R500 or so at Cycle Lab with padding and gel and what what,

What are the factors to look at when buying a seat, all I know now is that there's seats for Males and Females? And it's R500 a decent enough budget for a weekend warrior just starting out.

Saddles, I find, are very personal. I also don't see a stong correlation between price and comfort. 

Start with your sit-bone width, then think of padding (medium to medium soft for most people), then think of cutout or no-cutout - my butt can't stand the rounded shape of a Fizik Gobi but other people find it very comfortable.

Lastly, don't underestimate the comfort of a quality bib.

Edited by M L

• 3 weeks later...

Linking onto this thread ... 

Few years ago I switched to  Ryder saddle, after a bike fit.  We tested various brands and models.  143mm width

20211121_194915.jpg.66c3b333e47b5e9dbc37f52206339b90.jpg

It worked very well.  When I bought the Giant I tried out its saddle ... same dimensions. Marginally harder, but all round similar good experience with it.  I kept the Giant saddle on the Giant, and use the Ryder saddle on the HT, a.k.a. my long distance road bike.

20211121_195018.jpg.05508074cfed5487d4eae320e17923c8.jpg

This year I have been doing a coupl of 5+ hour rides

After 4 hours I have "discomfort" on the seats .... initially thought my bumm is just not saddle fit for these long rides.  Not getting any better with more of these rides.

The discomfort is on the "front/mid.bones" pressing in the middel (front to rear) of the saddle.

20211121_194956.jpg.bda7bc28a7420415cab2835bb75efa73.jpg

Sombody suggested a Ryder Force 

Screenshot_20211122-203947_Chrome.jpg.1420b24faf6dd3df769ebd20c8575467.jpg

Question 1 - do I go back for a bike fit ?  Absolutely no other issues.

Question 2 - thoughts on something like the Ryder Force ?

Edit - I use a Viovita Corsa Series bib on the longer rides.

Edited by ChrisF

13 hours ago, ChrisF said:

Linking onto this thread ... 

Few years ago I switched to  Ryder saddle, after a bike fit.  We tested various brands and models.  143mm width

20211121_194915.jpg.66c3b333e47b5e9dbc37f52206339b90.jpg

It worked very well.  When I bought the Giant I tried out its saddle ... same dimensions. Marginally harder, but all round similar good experience with it.  I kept the Giant saddle on the Giant, and use the Ryder saddle on the HT, a.k.a. my long distance road bike.

20211121_195018.jpg.05508074cfed5487d4eae320e17923c8.jpg

This year I have been doing a coupl of 5+ hour rides

After 4 hours I have "discomfort" on the seats .... initially thought my bumm is just not saddle fit for these long rides.  Not getting any better with more of these rides.

The discomfort is on the "front/mid.bones" pressing in the middel (front to rear) of the saddle.

20211121_194956.jpg.bda7bc28a7420415cab2835bb75efa73.jpg

Sombody suggested a Ryder Force 

Screenshot_20211122-203947_Chrome.jpg.1420b24faf6dd3df769ebd20c8575467.jpg

Question 2 - thoughts on something like the Ryder Force ?

Edit - I use a Viovita Corsa Series bib on the longer rides.

BUMp .... :whistling:

14 hours ago, ChrisF said:

Don't think it will be necessary for another bike fit. Measure the distance between the nose of the seat and the top cap of your headtube and make sure you get the same distance when you fit the new seat. 

16 minutes ago, KB280DT said:

Don't think it will be necessary for another bike fit. Measure the distance between the nose of the seat and the top cap of your headtube and make sure you get the same distance when you fit the new seat. 

The new saddle could be longer or shorter than the old one, or the rails could make the saddle sit higher or lower than the old one....

Just now, Chadvdw67 said:

The new saddle could be longer or shorter than the old one, or the rails could make the saddle sit higher or lower than the old one....

There is that yes, but I am sure there is a workaround where that is concerned. To drop R500+ on a bike setup check just because you changed the seat sounds a bit rof.

Chris, I put on that Ryder force seat recently onto my HT- very happy with it so far, especially for long rides. And at 450 ronts new it was an absolute bargin of a price

1 minute ago, KB280DT said:

There is that yes, but I am sure there is a workaround where that is concerned. To drop R500+ on a bike setup check just because you changed the seat sounds a bit rof.

Agreed, I wouldn't go for a fitting again, but my last 3 bikes I have just setup myself "by feel" and I have been very happy with that, where as other people are more sensitive to it, and I assume @ChrisF is one of those, as he frequently says that it is one of the most important pieces to the puzzle that is biking pleasure

6 minutes ago, Chadvdw67 said:

Agreed, I wouldn't go for a fitting again, but my last 3 bikes I have just setup myself "by feel" and I have been very happy with that, where as other people are more sensitive to it, and I assume @ChrisF is one of those, as he frequently says that it is one of the most important pieces to the puzzle that is biking pleasure

agree with all of that. I never did a bike fit I just setup by feel over the hours until I'm happy, and I ride 12 hours a week. Also never "chose" or bought a saddle, just use the one on the bike when I buy it.

I'd suggest ride it like that and if you feel discomfort then go for a bike fit, no need to spend your hard earned cash if the bike is comfortable as is.

Edited by Jbr

I'm just looking at the gap on that Ryder Force saddle and I'm quietly wondering to myself how much force is needed to remain functionally cycling after a , well, let's just say something manages to slip into the gap and gets wedged into the tight corner. Admittedly this would be more of an issue for bib wearers, but still, I get queasy just at the mere thought...

image.png.f86b4ec1869e3a10ba43beff40312301.png

Its for more aggresive positioned riders, gives the bits somewhere to go when you're in the race position or if you're a forward leaning rider

Besides, the ony time they might get stuck in there is on a -35degC day

Edited by 117

33 minutes ago, Robbie Stewart said:

I'm just looking at the gap on that Ryder Force saddle and I'm quietly wondering to myself how much force is needed to remain functionally cycling after a , well, let's just say something manages to slip into the gap and gets wedged into the tight corner. Admittedly this would be more of an issue for bib wearers, but still, I get queasy just at the mere thought...

image.png.f86b4ec1869e3a10ba43beff40312301.png

My condolences that yours could fit in that gap.

I have always set up my bike myself, but recently, after a back injury, I found myself experiencing saddle numbness in a standard 143mm seat.

Went for a bike fit yesterday and turns out I "have very wide sit-bones for a guy".

Can anyone recommend some good 168mm seat options...?

4 minutes ago, Trashy said:

My condolences that yours could fit in that gap.

I have always set up my bike myself, but recently, after a back injury, I found myself experiencing saddle numbness in a standard 143mm seat.

Went for a bike fit yesterday and turns out I "have very wide sit-bones for a guy".

Can anyone recommend some good 168mm seat options...?

Brooks Cambium C17.  4mm narrower than what you are looking for but think it would suffice. Most comfortable saddle I have ever used. Like fit and forget.

272919-00-d-546440.jpg

17 minutes ago, BogusOne said:

Brooks Cambium C17.  4mm narrower than what you are looking for but think it would suffice. Most comfortable saddle I have ever used. Like fit and forget.

272919-00-d-546440.jpg

Thanks for the suggestion, I'll check it out for sure! Do they only come in the one size?

I found one for sale online but they didn't state the width.