Starter bike advice

JH Weideman

Hi anyone and everyone 

Please advise, for a starter bike, what would be best, budget around 7k, do I buy new or used, looking at new Reflex2 or Silverback Stride Delight, but for this and cheaper there is used bikes like the GT avalanche and so on.

Please advise, it's for XL 29er. Hardtail, as a starter bike I would be looking at cheaper options as well

Thank you all

Hi there, looking at the two options and I would rather go for the silverback.

At prices so low also consider second hand. Keep your eyes open and you occasionally spot a good bargain.

i would say up your budget and get something with the following

- air shocks

- hydro brakes

- 1x12 drive train

- dropper post

- tubeless

for like 10-15k you can get that and then you dont need to spend any money upgrading anything

Hi Jensie, Gerard and Rolf

Thank you, those two as well, I have friend who rides Merida and they are very happy, I also saw the specialized, it does seem to be used and is the oldest of the bunch, but very good bikes,

I have posted two bikes below as well, its really scary to buy used and spend the money to start off, so I do appreciate the advise, 

from the 4 discussed, what would you think will be the go to, please advise!, thank you

I would go for the Silverback Sola 4 29er

9spd, Air shock and hydro brakes, Can convert tubeless with current tyres, think they are Tubeless Ready.

11 minutes ago, Jensie said:

I would go for the Silverback Sola 4 29er

9spd, Air shock and hydro brakes, Can convert tubeless with current tyres, think they are Tubeless Ready.

From all those I would also go for the Silverback. In terms of spec it is in a different league than the others.

The Scott looks nice because it is new but it is a pretty basic MTB.

I bought a new bike last year for a bit under R7k. Around 2 months later I bought a much better used bike for R5k. I now exclusively ride the used bike and passed the bike I bought new on to my wife who mostly uses it on an indoor trainer.

I have spent quite a bit of money on the bike over the last couple of months upgrading it and changing it to suit my needs but the starting point was much better than the bike I bought new.

Edited by Rolf Hansen

That Sola 4 would get my vote from the bikes mentioned above.

Raidon is not a bad fork at all. I have one on a bike now for close to 5 years.

Brakes are decent enough.

The only thing you might want to change over time will be that Deore 9 speed der. That specific model is not great. Going 10 or 11 speed at the back will not be very expensive.

Hi All. Still need help. Ok, so I lost out on the Silverback...was just to late!..very sad. So in my price range, please advise on the below GT.  Apparently it's on the heavy side, also a bit old, but it seems in a great condition though. 

-1634978392-133_medium.jpg

Again. Thank you all for the help. As I'm really not sure and I would like to get started riding instead of browsing. If I move quicker this time it's between the mentioned GT and the below two specialized. The white one below and the Grey and blue in the below comments section.

-1636522155-342_medium.jpg