Tulbagh bone route

sucramuk

Having a weekend in Tulbagh this weekend, thinking about the Bone Route.

I'm going to be riding alone and I see that it passes through an informal settlement on the way back, any comments on this?

Also does anyone have the GPX  file of the full trail?

Thanks

1 hour ago, sucramuk said:

I'm going to be riding alone and I see that it passes through an informal settlement on the way back, any comments on this?

Thanks

Nah nothing to be worried about, I also did it solo a couple of months ago you can check it out here  https://www.strava.com/activities/5631923478 and here https://www.strava.com/activities/5640964399

On 11/23/2021 at 6:21 PM, sucramuk said:

Thanks

So how was it @sucramuk

Visited Tulbagh this weekend for S.O. birthday celebration which started with her having a nap on Friday afternoon while I rode part of the bone trail. Followed my Edge 830's navigation to the Manley Parking where I serendipitously met a friendly local, Dean, who was headed out for his pre-weekend destress. What a great trail. A meaty singletrack climb took us up to the start of the trail proper which then winds it's way along the contour path with occasional boosty little climbs to regain some altitude. 

Dean turned out to be a super friendly guy and he had the good manners to laugh at me when I had a silly little involuntary lie down. We took the poplar trail descent which is the first of several opportunities to loop back to the car park which was fantastic. Thank you Dean for showing me around.

On Saturday, while the birthday celebrant had a long spa session I did 2/3rds of the Valley Loop trail. I picked up the Saronsberg link to the trail and paid my 60 bucks using the snapscan board on a vineyard post close to the entrance.  I was expecting a lot of district and farm roads and while there were lots of scenic farm roads there was also lots of flowy flat, pedally single track. A beginner could do it quite easily although there were one or two spots where even a more experienced rider could be caught out by ruts and rocks. Thoroughly enjoyable.

Garmin navigation and trailforks thoroughly recommended because although the trail was fairly well marked there were one or 2 spots where I would easily have gone wrong were it not for the tech.

Drove home in the rain this morning and definitely will go back to explore the rest of the bone trail.

WhatsApp Image 2021-12-05 at 11.11.10.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2021-12-05 at 11.11.11.jpeg

PC030052.jpg

4 hours ago, Mamil said:

Visited Tulbagh this weekend for S.O. birthday celebration which started with her having a nap on Friday afternoon while I rode part of the bone trail. Followed my Edge 830's navigation to the Manley Parking where I serendipitously met a friendly local, Dean, who was headed out for his pre-weekend destress. What a great trail. A meaty singletrack climb took us up to the start of the trail proper which then winds it's way along the contour path with occasional boosty little climbs to regain some altitude. 

Dean turned out to be a super friendly guy and he had the good manners to laugh at me when I had a silly little involuntary lie down. We took the poplar trail descent which is the first of several opportunities to loop back to the car park which was fantastic. Thank you Dean for showing me around.

On Saturday, while the birthday celebrant had a long spa session I did 2/3rds of the Valley Loop trail. I picked up the Saronsberg link to the trail and paid my 60 bucks using the snapscan board on a vineyard post close to the entrance.  I was expecting a lot of district and farm roads and while there were lots of scenic farm roads there was also lots of flowy flat, pedally single track. A beginner could do it quite easily although there were one or two spots where even a more experienced rider could be caught out by ruts and rocks. Thoroughly enjoyable.

Garmin navigation and trailforks thoroughly recommended because although the trail was fairly well marked there were one or 2 spots where I would easily have gone wrong were it not for the tech.

Drove home in the rain this morning and definitely will go back to explore the rest of the bone trail.

WhatsApp Image 2021-12-05 at 11.11.10.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2021-12-05 at 11.11.11.jpeg

PC030052.jpg

Lekker Mamil, I too need to return again, for that valley loop and some other sections not normally open to the public, I originally had it planned for this coming weekend but may need to reconsider.