Bike Hub Pay

Christo

On 12/7/2021 at 8:13 AM, Christo said:

Good day all.

I just want to ask is bike hub pay method safe?

Never used it before.

Normally i will send the items first if i have received the payment from the buyer.

Thanks!!

Amazing service, I was buying a R25000 bike and it burnt down in a riot (in shipping) and bike hub payed it all back in less than 24 hours

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

9 minutes ago, Karlboi16 said:

Amazing service, I was buying a R25000 bike and it burnt down in a riot (in shipping) and bike hub payed it all back in less than 24 hours

Do you know what happened to the seller? , did he receive any money back from BH? , or perhaps did the courier have insurance. 

9 hours ago, Matt said:

This does raise some alarm bells for us and not the first we've heard of sellers doing this. We made the call early on to keep Bike Hub Pay optional as we know there are many buyers & sellers with long standing good reputations.

However, if it's enabled on your advert you should be willing to entertain offers submitted using Bike Hub Pay and transact using this method.

The fee is just 3%, but clearly some room for us to nudge up to 5% 😉

Next to 0% fees, sure it may seem expensive, but it's a small ask when you consider that Bike Hub helps to find a buyer, ensure they are comfortable to do the deal and then facilitates the payment. 

We are weary of people using the "Pay enabled" badge as a trust signal in itself, but as you suggest, they would have likely steered the transaction offline hence a seller pushing for this should be treated with caution.

I am actually interested to know how does BH find a suitable buyer?

5 minutes ago, Sprocket and Chain said:

I am actually interested to know how does BH find a suitable buyer?

I thought this one was obvious, but if you advertise on the site, then BH is helping you to find a buyer...

12 hours ago, Mountain Goat said:

I just had a strange interaction with a seller selling a well priced road bike, he is based up country and I am based in CPT.

I submitted an offer via Bike Hub pay, my offer was for the full selling price plus the platform fees. The seller initiated a private conversation and requested that he’d prefer an eft as he is not comfortable with Bike Hub pay.

As the bike is unseen and he has one or two questionable reviews I’m definitely not willing to proceed.

If you’re not prepared to follow through with the payment function don’t make it an option… 

cancel one time 

10 hours ago, TheoG said:

Agree, rather walk away.  There is no reason not to be "comfortable with Bike Hub pay", it is for sure safer than trusting someone's word on a "blind EFT".

Totally 

10 hours ago, Thomo said:

Found it interesting that an "alleged scammer" also had Hub Pay option earlier in the week.

I do suspect that he would also have "preferred" EFT had we reached that point ... but he was subsequently deleted and also went quiet on other comms.

Instant delete. 

And send him back to the oil rig...

10 hours ago, OnlyFans said:

Do you know what happened to the seller? , did he receive any money back from BH? , or perhaps did the courier have insurance. 

Ja flip. I’m also interested. Hectic situation.

On 2/2/2022 at 10:51 PM, Fred van Vlaanderen said:

Ja flip. I’m also interested. Hectic situation.

Personally as a seller. If I sell something, once it leaves my hands, It’s no longer mine. the buyer pays the courier and it’s his responsibility there after… so i do wonder what BHP terms are on incidents like that. I don’t think the buyer should be responsible for the bike during courier. (Unless he boxed it badly) but theft or serious damage should not be the sellers responsibility?

I believe that the terms on Bike Hub are: once the buyer has received the item and has confirmed that it is in good working order then the funds are released to the seller, So therefore the buyer cannot be held responsible for the item not arriving at the buyers given address (IMO).

It is said that there is no reason for a seller to be uncomfortable with Bikehub pay but I would like to present a hypothetical scenario. I have a quite popular XT crankset on my bike. It hardly has any marks and is in excellent condition. Now lets imagine that I decide to sell the crank on this platform. A 9.5/10 condition crankset is listed. Now across the country some guy has just stripped the pedal threads on his left side crank arm (most of us know at least one guy that has done this). The guy jumps on Bikehub, buys my crank and completes the payment through the Bikehub pay facility. I thoroughly package the crank and head to Postnet. A few days later the buyer sends pictures of his damaged XT crank to Bikehub claiming that I misrepresented the condition. Bikehub refunds his money. Do I still have no reason to feel uncomfortable?

Now tomorrow I decide to write it off as a one off incident and sell my set of XT brakes. Spotless condition, 90% pad life. A buyer pays through Bikehub pay and again I carefully package the brakes and head to Postnet. The weekend arrives, the buyer mounts my trusty brakes to his latest build, enjoys a leisurely ride, gets home and tells Bikehub that I mailed him a box of expired chocolate bars...and not even the flavour that he prefers!

I only offer shipping as an option to accommodate a buyer that cannot find a suitable item nearby. I am doing it to help them, why should I bear all of the risk? I have a great deal of respect for the people at Bikehub management in their approach to all sorts of issues, unlike those jokers at OLX. I understand the need for a payment method like this (mainly for sellers without a long standing account) and I don't think that the fee is unreasonable like other have said (they do a lot for the fee that they ask). But can we at least just agree that buying items online has inherent risk and the system only shifts that risk from buyer to seller. 

27 minutes ago, ConradS said:

It is said that there is no reason for a seller to be uncomfortable with Bikehub pay but I would like to present a hypothetical scenario. I have a quite popular XT crankset on my bike. It hardly has any marks and is in excellent condition. Now lets imagine that I decide to sell the crank on this platform. A 9.5/10 condition crankset is listed. Now across the country some guy has just stripped the pedal threads on his left side crank arm (most of us know at least one guy that has done this). The guy jumps on Bikehub, buys my crank and completes the payment through the Bikehub pay facility. I thoroughly package the crank and head to Postnet. A few days later the buyer sends pictures of his damaged XT crank to Bikehub claiming that I misrepresented the condition. Bikehub refunds his money. Do I still have no reason to feel uncomfortable?

Now tomorrow I decide to write it off as a one off incident and sell my set of XT brakes. Spotless condition, 90% pad life. A buyer pays through Bikehub pay and again I carefully package the brakes and head to Postnet. The weekend arrives, the buyer mounts my trusty brakes to his latest build, enjoys a leisurely ride, gets home and tells Bikehub that I mailed him a box of expired chocolate bars...and not even the flavour that he prefers!

I only offer shipping as an option to accommodate a buyer that cannot find a suitable item nearby. I am doing it to help them, why should I bear all of the risk? I have a great deal of respect for the people at Bikehub management in their approach to all sorts of issues, unlike those jokers at OLX. I understand the need for a payment method like this (mainly for sellers without a long standing account) and I don't think that the fee is unreasonable like other have said (they do a lot for the fee that they ask). But can we at least just agree that buying items online has inherent risk and the system only shifts that risk from buyer to seller. 

A simple photograph (photos) of the item you have packaged should mitigate any risk on your part.

Also, if you read the terms of BHP, they don't just receive a complaint and then refund the buyer. There is a process in place to protect both parties.

https://help.bikehub.co.za/en/articles/4611559-what-if-the-item-received-isn-t-as-described

Well I have just purchased a bike via the hub from a guy in Cape Town. I did not use BHP.

But he had excellent reviews from some long standing BikeHub members, so that gave me some peace of mind, plus the way he conducted himself also left me feeling at ease.

Back to the reviews, I only trust reviews from forum members that have been around for a while and whose names I recognise. 

1 hour ago, Trashy said:

A simple photograph (photos) of the item you have packaged should mitigate any risk on your part.

Also, if you read the terms of BHP, they don't just receive a complaint and then refund the buyer. There is a process in place to protect both parties.

https://help.bikehub.co.za/en/articles/4611559-what-if-the-item-received-isn-t-as-described

Agree, maybe photos of the goods before sending it should be mandatory and part of the BHP system ... ?

Edit:  Maybe also photos when the buyer open the package  .... ?

Edited by TheoG

Unfortunately a simple photograph does not prove anything. I could have made a photograph of boxing one crank an then sent another. It's my word against his in that situation. The argument was for no reason not to trust Bikehub pay. So "mitigating" implies some residual risk, so there is some reason not to want to use the option as a seller. Waiting for an eft to clear virtually eliminates my risk. I am not trying to argue that the facility has no merit only that this idea that the seller has no reason not to use it is inaccurate. The implication was made that is a seller does not want to use the option then they must be trying to scam the buyer. I am merely saying that I have other reasons for not using the option as it increases my risk when I only offer shipping as a favour to the buyer.

6 minutes ago, ConradS said:

Unfortunately a simple photograph does not prove anything. I could have made a photograph of boxing one crank an then sent another. It's my word against his in that situation. The argument was for no reason not to trust Bikehub pay. So "mitigating" implies some residual risk, so there is some reason not to want to use the option as a seller. Waiting for an eft to clear virtually eliminates my risk. I am not trying to argue that the facility has no merit only that this idea that the seller has no reason not to use it is inaccurate. The implication was made that is a seller does not want to use the option then they must be trying to scam the buyer. I am merely saying that I have other reasons for not using the option as it increases my risk when I only offer shipping as a favour to the buyer.

and waiting for the EFT to clear puts the buyer at risk.

With transactions like these one of the parties will always be at risk

10 minutes ago, ouzo said:

and waiting for the EFT to clear puts the buyer at risk.

With transactions like these one of the parties will always be at risk

My point exactly. This thread makes it seem like "no reason not to use the facility" where in reality it is only a shift of risk from one area to another. If the seller knows that the items was fairly represented and shipped then they may not want to take the risk increase which is a fair stance. This thread has made it seem like a seller avoiding the facility automatically has something to hide. That is what I am trying to address.