Bike Hub Pay

Christo

Good day all.

I just want to ask is bike hub pay method safe?

Never used it before.

Normally i will send the items first if i have received the payment from the buyer.

Thanks!!

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I used it to buy a bike from the other side of the country.  It adds not just a layer, but a whole blanket of security to the deal.  There's literally no risk and no downside (especially as a buyer).  It also shows you that the seller is genuine.  

Highly recommended.  

• 1 month later...

I just had a strange interaction with a seller selling a well priced road bike, he is based up country and I am based in CPT.

I submitted an offer via Bike Hub pay, my offer was for the full selling price plus the platform fees. The seller initiated a private conversation and requested that he’d prefer an eft as he is not comfortable with Bike Hub pay.

As the bike is unseen and he has one or two questionable reviews I’m definitely not willing to proceed.

If you’re not prepared to follow through with the payment function don’t make it an option… 

1 hour ago, Mountain Goat said:

I just had a strange interaction with a seller selling a well priced road bike, he is based up country and I am based in CPT.

I submitted an offer via Bike Hub pay, my offer was for the full selling price plus the platform fees. The seller initiated a private conversation and requested that he’d prefer an eft as he is not comfortable with Bike Hub pay.

As the bike is unseen and he has one or two questionable reviews I’m definitely not willing to proceed.

If you’re not prepared to follow through with the payment function don’t make it an option… 

Agree, rather walk away.  There is no reason not to be "comfortable with Bike Hub pay", it is for sure safer than trusting someone's word on a "blind EFT".

Found it interesting that an "alleged scammer" also had Hub Pay option earlier in the week.

I do suspect that he would also have "preferred" EFT had we reached that point ... but he was subsequently deleted and also went quiet on other comms.

1 hour ago, Mountain Goat said:

This does raise some alarm bells for us and not the first we've heard of sellers doing this. We made the call early on to keep Bike Hub Pay optional as we know there are many buyers & sellers with long standing good reputations.

However, if it's enabled on your advert you should be willing to entertain offers submitted using Bike Hub Pay and transact using this method.

4 minutes ago, Sprocket and Chain said:

It works, tad bit expensive (5% of agreed price, i think), but works and secured.

The fee is just 3%, but clearly some room for us to nudge up to 5% 😉

Next to 0% fees, sure it may seem expensive, but it's a small ask when you consider that Bike Hub helps to find a buyer, ensure they are comfortable to do the deal and then facilitates the payment. 

2 minutes ago, Thomo said:

Found it interesting that an "alleged scammer" also had Hub Pay option earlier in the week.

I do suspect that he would also have "preferred" EFT had we reached that point ... but he was subsequently deleted and also went quiet on other comms.

We are weary of people using the "Pay enabled" badge as a trust signal in itself, but as you suggest, they would have likely steered the transaction offline hence a seller pushing for this should be treated with caution.

The only downside to BHP is the delay in money reaching the seller.

I bought a relatively small item using it and the seller seemed frustrated with me that I waited to receive the items (3 days shipping) before finalising the deal.

If you don't have an impeccable and long standing record on Bikehub, that's a small price to pay IMO.

Edited by Trashy
Edit

Used hub pay multiple times....works like a bomb....I think my favourite part is that I can pay with credit card...efting can be a luss

I have used bike hub pay as seller and buyer and for sure i recommend it . But i still dont understand why the seller must pay for the fees. and whenever you edit your add, it automatically ticks the BHP option.  As a seller, i list the bike at the price i want, and its up to the buyer to pay for the ''protection''. As a buyer, i have requested a seller to please allow me to buy off BHP and i was willing to pay for the service fee.