Specialized Epic vs Stumpjumper

Jacques Bestbier

4 hours ago, Tman21 said:

Good day everyone, im in exactly the same boat.

Looking for an Epic Evo Comp or Stumpy Carbon Comp.  Anybody know if there is stock available in JHB (Large for Epic and S3/4 on the Stumpy)

Thanks

Bought the one in the for sale section!  Now to hurry up and wait for next week!

Hey guys. I have a Camber S Works. Where does this fit in then.? Between the Stumpie and Epic ? Or is the Epic Evo the replacement for the Camber. I really enjoy my Camber as is does it all..I know the Camber is no longer produced, so would the Epic Evo be my next bike?

I have just sold my scott spark WC and bought a epic evo. The Wc is way to xc, race focused for me. When I looked at geometry of the epic evo the 66.5 head angle and longer wheelbase should make the bike a riot to ride. And hopefully a whippet ( in my terms anyway) over distance. 

I ride a lot at Thaba, a little a Rietvlei and lots of outrides . The epic evo just seemed to fit the bill to exactly what I need, more than what I thought i needed.  Time to be honest about what I ride. No more 130/140 bikes or 100mm race snake whippets. 

Don't think you can go wrong with the evo . 

10 hours ago, Wobble07 said:

Hey guys. I have a Camber S Works. Where does this fit in then.? Between the Stumpie and Epic ? Or is the Epic Evo the replacement for the Camber. I really enjoy my Camber as is does it all..I know the Camber is no longer produced, so would the Epic Evo be my next bike?

That is my understanding as I was trying to find a camber and saw that they are no more.  From all the reviews ive seen, the epic Evo is a really well rounded machine!

On 1/4/2022 at 6:36 PM, Wobble07 said:

The Evo is the natural evolution of the camber , I went from carbon camber expert to aluminium evo comp and could not be happier , 2 water bottles a great improvement , way better uphill , a little more agile on flats , but a little less "planted" on rough downhill ( Evo slightly more "on the bike" , than camber was "in the bike" -an ex  camber rider will understand 😉  ) , I now need to work and focus at downhills and not just let go and blast it like on camber  , Evo is however better overall even when stepping down to Alu.  

4 minutes ago, Milosh said:

The Evo is the natural evolution of the camber , I went from carbon camber expert to aluminium evo comp and could not be happier , 2 water bottles a great improvement , way better uphill , a little more agile on flats , but a little less "planted" on rough downhill ( Evo slightly more "on the bike" , than camber was "in the bike" -an ex  camber rider will understand 😉  ) , I now need to work and focus at downhills and not just let go and blast it like on camber  , Evo is however better overall even when stepping down to Alu.  

Thanks Milosh! I enjoy more faster downhill stuff as well as all other technical terrain, so my worry is not feeling as planted on the Epic as my Camber? But need to ride the Epic Evo first I think?

On 1/4/2022 at 6:36 PM, Wobble07 said:

There used to be Camber and Stumpy, then the Stumpy ST and LT (short and long travel). The Stumpy ST was the replacement for the camber. In fact, when the camber was produced it shared a main triangle with the stumpy with a different yoke and shock to make it a shorter travel version. 

With the next evolution of the Stumpy came the Stumpy and Stumpy Evo. The Evo is more aggressive than the Stumpy LT, some would say even more aggressive than the old Enduro. The normal Stumpy now sits (in my opinion) somewhere between the older ST and LT, probably because the Epic Evo was introduced. 

So although the Epic Evo is not a direct replacement for the Camber, I would say it is the logical replacement for the Camber. If I had a Camber and I enjoy more trail oriented stuff I'd buy the Stumpy, if I rode more distance with trails as a secondary goal I'd go for the Epic Evo. Basically you can do the same things on both bikes, but with each there is just compromise on either descent or climbing. 

Personally I think the new Stumpy is an awesome all-rounder (a one bike if you will). The Epic Evo is a bit on the marathon side of things for me to call it a one bike. But that's me - I am slightly more on the gravity side of things. I actually nearly bought the new Stumpy end of 2021, but ended up going for a Yeti SB130.

Edited by Grease_Monkey

2 hours ago, Grease_Monkey said:

There used to be Camber and Stumpy, then the Stumpy ST and LT (short and long travel). The Stumpy ST was the replacement for the camber. In fact, when the camber was produced it shared a main triangle with the stumpy with a different yoke and shock to make it a shorter travel version. 

With the next evolution of the Stumpy came the Stumpy and Stumpy Evo. The Evo is more aggressive than the Stumpy LT, some would say even more aggressive than the old Enduro. The normal Stumpy now sits (in my opinion) somewhere between the older ST and LT, probably because the Epic Evo was introduced. 

So although the Epic Evo is not a direct replacement for the Camber, I would say it is the logical replacement for the Camber. If I had a Camber and I enjoy more trail oriented stuff I'd buy the Stumpy, if I rode more distance with trails as a secondary goal I'd go for the Epic Evo. Basically you can do the same things on both bikes, but with each there is just compromise on either descent or climbing. 

Personally I think the new Stumpy is an awesome all-rounder (a one bike if you will). The Epic Evo is a bit on the marathon side of things for me to call it a one bike. But that's me - I am slightly more on the gravity side of things. I actually nearly bought the new Stumpy end of 2021, but ended up going for a Yeti SB130.

Agreed the Epic Evo is closer to the marathon than the Enduro , All depend's on  what you one bike is .  I am slighty more orentated to touring stage and endurance race's.  

On sani2c the camber was awesome on the umkomaas-valley descent but  harder on climb out of valley, transbaviaans would have being better on EVO.

Edited by Milosh