Specialized Epic vs Stumpjumper

Jacques Bestbier

Good day all. 

I need advice choosing between the Epic EVO and the Stumpjumper/EVO. I am planning on replacing my Merida 96 with one of those options, but not sure what option would suit me best. I mostly ride trails at places like Rietvlei Zoo, Taroko trails and Hennops.

I would appreciate any advice/guidance.

Thank you in advance.

Definitely not the stumpjumper evo if you’re deciding between that and the epic evo. The standard stumpjumper is worth considering if you’re after a one bike fits all purposes and leaning more towards aggressive trail riding. If you’re leaning towards long distance riding and  to have a capable bike for trails, then definitely the epic evo. 

If I were you I’d sit on both bikes and get a feel for it. I do enduro riding and own a specialized Enduro and road my friend’s stumpie just a few meters. I simply love the way I feel on it and have been looking for a good deal on a stumpie ever since 😄. I think even if you’re doing minimal enduro riding, the Stumpie is perfect. I looked at the Epic and felt like I was always falling over the bars. 

1 hour ago, Razor1972 said:

If I were you I’d sit on both bikes and get a feel for it. I do enduro riding and own a specialized Enduro and road my friend’s stumpie just a few meters. I simply love the way I feel on it and have been looking for a good deal on a stumpie ever since 😄. I think even if you’re doing minimal enduro riding, the Stumpie is perfect. I looked at the Epic and felt like I was always falling over the bars. 

The epic Evo has a 66.5' HA and a decent stack height with a 120mm fork.

That is DH bike slack less than 10 years ago.

The Epic Evo is the best bike I have ever ridden. I'm into riding bikes. It's a downcountry bike with a really awesome suspension platform and suitably slack/long/steep angles where it counts.

If you favour one particular aspect of bikes, then there are probably more specific bikes (like a normal Epic for racing XC and a Stumpy for a more spin up and grin down) but as far as a 1 bike to dabble in everything, the Epic Evo is top of the pops.

I would say hands down that if you are asking this question, you aren't a hardcore Enduro bro flannel shredder so IMHO, by that massie assumption, would recommend the Evo 99 times out of 100.

It's not an Epic with a 120mm fork anymore. It is it's own beast built from the ground up.

As much as I love the Stumpjumper I think it is overkill for 90% of what Gauteng offers in terms if trails. 

The Epic Evo is more than capable for all the trails you mentioned and more. 

Hey Jacques, I am fortunate enough to own both bikes and can without a doubt say that the epic evo punches above its weight so not a typical XC rig, not by a long shot. It’s a very fast, capable lightweight climber and equally up to the task on the more rough stuff and I’m finding hard to part with it since I got the stumpy. The stumpy evo is hardly a slouch up hill but loses some traction up hill compared to the epic naturally so for longer rides I’m finding myself on the epic. Depending on how steep and rough terrain is the stumpy is ofcourse more stable, planted and capable on the downhill stuff but at some cost to carry the extra weight. The stumpy is more geared for enduro so my bet would be on the epic evo as a great all rounder. 

You need to drop the Stumpjumer EVO out of this list. Its a totally different animal to the other two bikes mentioned.

Having to choose between the Epic EVO and the Stumpjumper is not an easy choice to make. It would have to come down to the type of riding you plan to do. From your description above, the Epic EVO sounds like the bike to go for. 

I have a 2021 stumpjumper, and with a set of XC tires its a great Marathon bike too, but it is meant as an all out trail bike. So for your described riding, the Epic EVO makes more sense 

3 hours ago, Limitseeker said:

You need to drop the Stumpjumper EVO out of this list. Its a totally different animal to the other two bikes mentioned.

Definitely.

The Stumpy EVO is a very specific bike with a very specific purpose and is overkill for 90% of South African riding. It's meant to charge hard down what most people would regard as full-on downhill tracks, without being an absolute pig to pedal back up. If you're coming from a Merida 96, it will feel like a motorbike with how long and slack it is.

I suspect for where you live and what you intend to do with it, an Epic EVO will be spot-on.

Edited by LazyTrailRider
Typo

6 hours ago, mikkelz said:

Good luck getting stock!

Paid a deposit in August for my size and colour of an Epic Evo – still waiting...

A container full of bikes arrived beginning of last week (including my Stumpy EVO), what size are you?

Just now, LazyTrailRider said:

A container full of bikes arrived beginning of last week (including my Stumpy EVO), what size are you?

Thanks, I've seen all the Instagram/Facebook posts from some of the local stores with their new stock. 😂 Glad you got yours!

I “ordered” a 2022 Epic Evo Comp in Medium. But they never got the oak green metallic colourway. 😟

Has anyone done a comparison of the Epic Evo to the new Spark?

I am considering upgrading from my Scalpel Si 2017....

• 2 weeks later...

Good day everyone, im in exactly the same boat.

Looking for an Epic Evo Comp or Stumpy Carbon Comp.  Anybody know if there is stock available in JHB (Large for Epic and S3/4 on the Stumpy)

Thanks