Looking to get a bike from the forum classifieds in Century City

Brenden_E

Hi All!

I just came back to Pretoria and would love to get a bike to ride at the local places like the Barn and Wolvespruit. Been looking for about a month, and just saw this one which looks perfect: 

https://bikehub.co.za/classifieds/item/dual-suspension-bikes/498386/pristine-scott-spark-35-xl-26er-carbon

Unfortunately I don't know too much about bikes - but to me this spark seems awesome! Appreciate any pointers if I'm mistaken. Then the tricky bit, I'm in Pretoria and can't view it, and the user doesn't have any reviews. Deshan is willing to ship it to me though. I'm super scared of sending my money into the ether with a scammer, so was wondering if someone in Century City could drop by and just verify. I am willing to EFT a couple of bucks for your effort. 

Thanks!
Brenden

18 hours ago, Alouette3 said:

If you worried about being scammed, used the BikeHub Pay option.

Though to be honest, that seems like quite a bit of money for an older 26" bike, not that 26" or the bike is an issue.

Isn't that a good price for a carbon bike? At least comparative to the others on the classifieds it seems cheap. I have no way to gauge the prices, it is somewhat confusing 😅 

20 hours ago, Brenden_E said:

Hi All!

I just came back to Pretoria and would love to get a bike to ride at the local places like the Barn and Wolvespruit. Been looking for about a month, and just saw this one which looks perfect: 

https://bikehub.co.za/classifieds/item/dual-suspension-bikes/498386/pristine-scott-spark-35-xl-26er-carbon

Unfortunately I don't know too much about bikes - but to me this spark seems awesome! Appreciate any pointers if I'm mistaken. Then the tricky bit, I'm in Pretoria and can't view it, and the user doesn't have any reviews. Deshan is willing to ship it to me though. I'm super scared of sending my money into the ether with a scammer, so was wondering if someone in Century City could drop by and just verify. I am willing to EFT a couple of bucks for your effort. 

Thanks!
Brenden

Hi That's a 2011 Scott 35, value +- R8000.00 in my view.

1 hour ago, Alouette3 said:

Yip, being carbon is not a way to guage a purchase or even a good bike. Actually over rated most of the time. I'd probably go Aluminium every time, but that's personal preference.

https://bikehub.co.za/classifieds/item/dual-suspension-bikes/522345/m-scott-spark-60-dual-sus-26er

Chat to Robert, bit closer to you and I'm sure he can hook you up with something

that's a bit steep even for that, 4 to 5K me thinks.

2 minutes ago, Hamstring said:

that's a bit steep even for that, 4 to 5K me thinks.

It's actually not bad and he said neg.

The bike market is crazy at the moment. Sold a hard tail Trek 26" for R4500 a couple weeks back with no issues!

6 minutes ago, Alouette3 said:

It's actually not bad and he said neg.

The bike market is crazy at the moment. Sold a hard tail Trek 26" for R4500 a couple weeks back with no issues!

100% 

prices i think for sum of these older bikes are crazy man.

4 hours ago, Hamstring said:

100% 

prices i think for sum of these older bikes are crazy man.

I agree that prices are absolutely ridiculous. I try to keep the prices as low as possible but the parts, even for a 26er are stupid. I mean have a look at the tire prices here in SA. Just to go tubeless adds like close to R1500 to the overall price. The market will eventually turn but for now the demand outweighs the supply. 

PS: I built and sold an aluminum Giant Trance (also 26er) less than two weeks ago for R10k. And it was absolutely worth the price https://bikehub.co.za/classifieds/item/dual-suspension-bikes/521025/medium-giant-trance-x2-26er

Edited by RobertWhitehead
Added a PS

Certainly priced on the high side, but not an outrageous price for the bike, considering the spec and condition.
Caveats though,

That size on a 26r, you're likely better off with a platform built around 29r wheels. It will fit better and you'll be more comfortable all round, which means you'll enjoy riding more and have a safer position on the bike.

It is a dated model, if you start needing to service/replace parts you will have problems. Especially with the rear shock, those older DT Swiss nude shocks can be service intensive.

Imho, at that budget you may just find a sweet deal on a more updated 29r carbon hardtail.