The failure of South Africa as a whole  to sponsor Quebebeka is a disgrace, Doug Ryder has done more for this sport and charity work than most people can dream of and we have let him down, Elon musk, Roelof Botha, Mark Shuttleworth,, the many other South African companies and businesses and individuals Who have made a fortune overseas. Never want anything to do with Nexthash, what a bunch of pigs.

Edited by lesliejohn
typo

6 hours ago, Eldron said:

Hint: There are more typos. In the name. Of the thing you're moaning about.

I thought it was a thread about PE. 🙃

That said, I understand the emotions associated with the loss of "our" team. ☹️

Edited by Thomo

6 hours ago, lesliejohn said:

The failure of South Africa as a whole  to sponsor Quebebeka is a disgrace, Doug Ryder has done more for this sport and charity work than most people can dream of and we have let him down, Elon musk, Roelof Botha, Mark Shuttleworth,, the many other South African companies and businesses and individuals Who have made a fortune overseas. Never want anything to do with Nexthash, what a bunch of pigs.

The only thing I agree with here is the statement on Nexthash - that opportunistic relationship reeked from the start. It was a signal of desperation.

For the rest - the people you mention are worth mentioning because they were competitive on the world stage and didn't rely on charity, just the opposite, they found little support in institutional SA. 

Doug rode the charity angle/ ubuntu way past the sell by date - the team needed results - simple as that.

the whole demise of team qhubeka hurts fans of the sport world wide (not juts in SA). The team was well loved by majority of cycling fans and the team stood for something other than stats and numbers. It was idealistic.

Last few years the team has been battling with results and financial woes. Doug has pulled more rabbits out of the hat than Houdini could dream of. 

He must be commended on keeping the team alive all these years, he sacrificed a lot (heard stories of how he had to take funds from his bond just to pay salaries).

However there is a side to this that is untold. As in why riders tend to perform better after they left the team or why top tier riders when joining the team never reach those high notes as they did in the past. Was it tactics? management style etc ? We might not ever know.

South Africa, no Africa can produce top tier riders and who knows what will rise from these ashes....

let us continue to dream.........

9 hours ago, lesliejohn said:

Don't worry. Cav couldn't spell it either