Shimano xt deore groupset

Jeorje

Hi all ..upgraded my bike ...Giant anthem 2016 to a 1 x  11 ...this ring or spacer keeps getting eaten away after a few rides ...maybe 10 or 20 rides...my bike starts with a progressive grating noise ...took it back to bikeshop that fitted the first time....now noise starting again so I stripped to find the same problem...any advice please? 

IMG-20220109-WA0003.jpg

IMG-20220109-WA0004.jpg

That part is causing lots of issues as its one of the causes for a creaking shimano rear hub. It also has to be installed correctly. Go on youtube and search for creaking shimano rear hub. 

The part the OP is referring to is the microspline spacer found on the Simano 12-speed freehub body. 

Initially Shimano recommended not greasing the part the spacer sits on - see page 14 of the attached (marked as part G). This was updated to a premium grease (Y04110000) to be applied - see pages 17 & 18. 

If you're LBS is not aware of this or does not have the special grease find a new LBS

https://si.shimano.com/api/publish/storage/pdf/en/dm/MAHB001/DM-MAHB001-09-ENG.pdf

2 hours ago, 117 said:

Isn't that for a 12 speed cassette? Hence the 8(1)10 designation? I thought 11 speed is a 8(0)00 type code? 

Like 8100 is slx 12 speed code, isn't 8110 xt 12 speed? 

Yes my bad it's 1 x 12

36 minutes ago, Jeorje said:

Yes my bad it's 1 x 12

Is your hub correct for a 12sp cassette? 

okay there's A lot going on here 

it seems to be A spacer for a Microspline freehub but is it specific to the cassette or freehub 

if the former is it specific to shimano hubs or all microspline hubs.

I do recall them having to change the rear hub to a shimano FH-M8110 .When you refer to micro spline would this be correct? 

20220110_091557.jpg

7 minutes ago, Jeorje said:

I do recall them having to change the rear hub to a shimano FH-M8110 .When you refer to micro spline would this be correct? 

20220110_091557.jpg

no thats the splines where A centre lock rotor fits onto 

5 minutes ago, Jeorje said:

Another thing is when I free wheel since the upgrade my bike is silent 

Shimano hubs when 12spd was launched had some system that disconnects the freehub while freewheeling so you probably have the same and its perfectly normal post the code of the hub here to be sure 

Is this the spacer that’s used when running the 12 speed shifter in 11speed mode with a compatible 11speed cassette?

if yes then shouldn’t it be removed when used with a 12speed cassette?