Touring bike value

Leith

My wife has decided that the ideal number of bikes is n-1, where n=2.

I have a very nice Raleigh Pasadena tourer with all the racks, panniers, touring handlebars, bar bags with waterproof map viewer holder, shock on seat post, built in lights powered by hub generator, front shock and high end components.

In good condition.

What would a fair value be?

20220112_174642.jpg

20220112_174632.jpg

20220112_174623.jpg

20220112_174613.jpg

20220112_174607.jpg

20220112_174557.jpg

20220112_174552.jpg

20220112_174545.jpg

To the right person this is a great bike. To most others it is a heap of junk. I will share this link on the local bike touring group, otherwise try Woodstock cycle works

What is the price that you are willing to let it go for. I agree with the other comment, touring bikes are fairly niche bikes. I paid R2200 for my Tour de Suisse RS500 touring bike that I use for commuting in town. 

Two prices for this kind of bike.  What it is worth and what you can get.  Unfortunately there are some negatives on the bike - Octolink BB, threaded headset, spring fork and brake/shifters combined.  To get the best price I would also offer the touring kit and the bike separately.

The other alternative is to trade in the N-1 for a N+1.

Hi guys. Just registered on this forum and immediately got on this topic. When I am going to buy a touring bike, I will be very grateful if someone gives me good recommendations on choosing such a bike. I plan to travel long distances by bike for hundreds of kilometers and not only in urban areas. I recently read about the meaning of various symbols at https://www.sunsigns.org/blue-jay-animal-totem-symbolism-meanings/ and realized that cycling would inspire me.

Edited by Noren Hinkapie

On 1/13/2022 at 8:55 AM, David Marshall said:

Two prices for this kind of bike.  What it is worth and what you can get.  Unfortunately there are some negatives on the bike - Octolink BB, threaded headset, spring fork and brake/shifters combined.  To get the best price I would also offer the touring kit and the bike separately.

The other alternative is to trade in the N-1 for a N+1.

It's a touring bike, not a mountain bike. Octolink BB, threaded headsets, spring forks and brake/shifters combined are not negatives. It's what you need for its intended purpose. 

There is definitely a market for this type of bike, but it is a small market. 

I would guess about R2k to R2.5k for the bike alone. All the other gear sounds expensive, but not sure of its value. You can advertise it on the Hub, but your typical hub user is not likely to buy this type of bike. But you never know. 

Facebook market place is probably your best bet. 

Edited by Eugene

3 hours ago, Eugene said:

It's a touring bike, not a mountain bike. Octolink BB, threaded headsets, spring forks and brake/shifters combined are not negatives. It's what you need for its intended purpose. 

They are not negatives until you have to replace them.  An Octolink BB (if you can find one with the right spindle length) will set you back R800+.  Often this will end up in a new crank/BB combination if the rings are at all worn.  A threaded headset you will probably have to import at R1000+ (or use a R45 pressed steel Chinese one) and spring forks are considered non serviceable.  Damage a shifter or brake and and you will end up replacing them all because "brifters" are scarce.  

I am not saying that they don't work, it's just what I would point out to any customer of mine that was interested.  Hence my suggestion to split the bike from the touring kit and sell separately.  Your estimate of 2-2500 for the bike is about right.