Dual Sus for R25-R30k

AllenH

Looking for a *NEW* Dual Suspension bike for between R25 and R30K-ISH.

Unfortunately been burnt already buying a used Momsen and not keen on spending R25k on a 7 - 9 year old bike.

I'm looking at some of the Titan Racing Cypher bikes, they look nice, have all the bells and whistles and fit somewhere in the price range I'm willing to spend, are there any other good options or a place where I can actually go check one out in GP?

Alternatively what will it cost to build something from scratch? I only ride weekends when it hasn't rained so I don't need the greatest, lightest and most high tech parts/bikes out there, I just don't want another brake failure or spoke breakage issue.

Thanks in advance.

4 minutes ago, AllenH said:

Looking for a *NEW* Dual Suspension bike for between R25 and R30K-ISH.

Unfortunately been burnt already buying a used Momsen and not keen on spending R25k on a 7 - 9 year old bike.

I'm looking at some of the Titan Racing Cypher bikes, they look nice, have all the bells and whistles and fit somewhere in the price range I'm willing to spend, are there any other good options or a place where I can actually go check one out in GP?

Alternatively what will it cost to build something from scratch? I only ride weekends when it hasn't rained so I don't need the greatest, lightest and most high tech parts/bikes out there, I just don't want another brake failure or spoke breakage issue.

Thanks in advance.

Hey Allan, I do have a few questions for the sake of this thread I will only answer your questions: 

1) not all of the second hand bikes are rubbish, there are really solid deals out there. You must just know what to look for. 

2) Titan is a good option they are well specced and they do not cost an arm and a leg. 

3) I always tell people when they ask about building vs buying: if you build you need to have a budget and stick to it, it is very easy to get carried away and sucked into the "one step better" wormhole when sourcing the parts. 

Feel free to contact me if you need any guidance or advice 👍

7 minutes ago, RobertWhitehead said:

Hey Allan, I do have a few questions for the sake of this thread I will only answer your questions: 

1) not all of the second hand bikes are rubbish, there are really solid deals out there. You must just know what to look for. 

2) Titan is a good option they are well specced and they do not cost an arm and a leg. 

3) I always tell people when they ask about building vs buying: if you build you need to have a budget and stick to it, it is very easy to get carried away and sucked into the "one step better" wormhole when sourcing the parts. 

Feel free to contact me if you need any guidance or advice 👍

Thanks Bud,

I don't know what to look for and don't want to get burned again, so sitting without a rideable bike until I get an answer from The NCC or Consumer Goods Ombud.

Would R30k build a decent, reliable bike equivalent of a New Titan?

7 minutes ago, AllenH said:

I am looking for a Large,  with 29" wheels 👌

Titan. Without a doubt Look for the not so  famous LBSes they always have more stock than the better known ones Then take it to your preferred LBS and you good to go. 

8 minutes ago, AllenH said:

Thanks Bud,

I don't know what to look for and don't want to get burned again, so sitting without a rideable bike until I get an answer from The NCC or Consumer Goods Ombud.

I know too little about builds and I see them go wrong too often @jewbecca maybe knows better? 

Was chatting to the local Titan agent in PE and he said that Titan haven't had stock for months. They are expecting another shipment soon though. 

You may be lucky and find a shop with some stock still

19 minutes ago, AllenH said:

Thanks Bud,

Yes, you will be able to get a decent bike for that price, I build bikes in my spare time and have built many bikes for way less than that. 

58 minutes ago, OVERDRIVE said:

I know too little about builds and I see them go wrong too often @jewbecca maybe knows better? 

I love building bikes. It costs more than just buying a bike though. 

I have an extensive room of parts so generally have enough lying around to make up most of a bike. 

IF you decide to build, patience is key. Deals on frames, forks, wheels etc come up more often than you think. Just be aware that tools, skills etc all cost. I build my own wheels and have wrenched bikes for decades. Paying someone to do that sort of work gets expensive quickly too.

I'm all for building bikes if you have the skill or work with an LBS who gets the brief.

If you don't have the knowledge and try to do it yourself you inevitable land up buying the wrong wheels standard/BB/Crankset standard or a lemon at some point.

1 hour ago, Jewbacca said:

I love building bikes. It costs more than just buying a bike though. 

I have an extensive room of parts so generally have enough lying around to make up most of a bike. 

IF you decide to build, patience is key. Deals on frames, forks, wheels etc come up more often than you think. Just be aware that tools, skills etc all cost. I build my own wheels and have wrenched bikes for decades. Paying someone to do that sort of work gets expensive quickly too.

I'm all for building bikes if you have the skill or work with an LBS who gets the brief.

If you don't have the knowledge and try to do it yourself you inevitable land up buying the wrong wheels standard/BB/Crankset standard or a lemon at some point.

Knew you were the right man for this topic 😁