In this day of social media riding groups, are clubs still relevant?

buckstopper

My csa (racing) licence is up for renewal. I received a mail from them reminding me of this. CSA also said that club membership was a prerequisite for renewal.

1. Is this for racing (elite or age cat.) or general csa licences?

2.  How many cyclists still belong to clubs.  Are they still as relevant, with WhatsApp groups and all? I joined a club in order to race, but tend not to ride with them as I move to the beat of my own drum. Screenshot_20220208-142917_Gmail.jpg.4e4d13f7d9a99f72e25bd25012baef4d.jpg

Whether it is fair or not for CSA to expect you to belong to a club in order to get membership is one debate (I think its a daft idea)

Whether clubs are still relevant in the days of social media riding groups - of course, it doesn't have to be one or the other, they fulfill different functions. I belong to both.

Edited by Skubarra

Perhaps relevant is the wrong word, how about "as popular"? 

I see many groups out wearing some or other same sponsored kit. Are these registered clubs, or just okes that schmaak to move in packs. I suspect it's a lot of the latter. Just my observation/impression, neither for or against this trend. Is this also a thing in mtb as much as road?

Got my licence the week before the change so i am good but:

You can use vitality as your club.

Speak to local guys sure there are some clubs that are still relevant and allow to join for no fee.

some benefits to the license if you race a lot but at Fast one they didnt even ask or for it and no one i know payed the 50 for the day one.

If you need to licence, or have membership, but you don’t belong to a club, send me a PM.

My club offers “out of town” membership. No frills, no fuss, just an annual fee. 

CyclingSA forced this, so we’re offering membership for anyone, anywhere is SA.

On that note, I attended a Cycling USA summit on Friday. The social rider no longer falls in their plans; only racing folk and support staff need to licence and affiliate. For them it’s centering their resources  around racing.

Gravel is not sanctioned either, but rather an entry point to the mostly Olympic disciplines and cyclocross.

edit: spelling

Edited by Frosty

36 minutes ago, Frosty said:

On that note, I attended a Cycling USA summit on Friday. The social rider no longer falls in their plans; only racing folk and support staff need to licence and affiliate. For them it’s centering their recourses  around racing.

Gravel is not sanctioned either, but rather an entry point to the mostly Olympic disciplines and cyclocross.

This sounds AWESOME!

Sadly SA will adopt to this as the minions see to it they have relevance/jobs.

Here is my beef. CSA say they want to encourage clubs. Then there is a virtual club one can join (hardly in the spirit of encouraging clubs but it's cheaper). So hardly a club. Nice money making gig if you got in on that one I'd think. The club thing in cycling has never quite been like it is in road running & they (road running) are now moving away from it a bit. So kind of wonder about that. Plus whatever happened to PPA counting as a club? It all just keeps adding up.

While I'm on a roll, please provide phone numbers with answering humans CSA. Miss communication the order of the day as a direct result of a lack of talking human. In despair one just gives up...

No, it's an approved "Virtual Club" on the CSA list of clubs. There is a link - called ROAG. To me it just seems like someone gets money for jam, but I'd be happy if someone pointed out the error of my thinking.

Reading back to what Frosty wrote it may be a case of someone solving a problem created by CSA. So happy to be proven wrong. I'd just hate to find out it's a South African case of my cousin needs an income so we will make it compulsory to belong...

8 minutes ago, SEANSTEP said:

No, it's an approved "Virtual Club" on the CSA list of clubs. There is a link - called ROAG. To me it just seems like someone gets money for jam, but I'd be happy if someone pointed out the error of my thinking.

ROAG (Race Organiser Admin Group) has been around for ages.

They provide a race admin platform (corrections?). Many of the KZN mtb and triathlon type events were run through their system.

Their club had been around for many years as well.

CSA all work from home, so the chances of getting your call answered is… [insert your best description here].

However, there are a couple that respond to emails, so there is a glimmer of hope.

On 2/8/2022 at 4:22 PM, Frosty said:

If you need to licence, or have membership, but you don’t belong to a club, send me a PM.

My club offers “out of town” membership. No frills, no fuss, just an annual fee. 

CyclingSA forced this, so we’re offering membership for anyone, anywhere is SA.

Thanks. I have been licenced as an age grouper for the last 2 years after taking a hiatus. I decided to enter a non UCI/CSA approved gravel/road event taking place end of April. (BTW CSA did in 2020 already need club membership for a racing licence. My understanding is that riding in such an event is a contravention of the licence terms. So I opted to go sans licence until after this event, at which point I may resume my former licence status, or not. 

4 minutes ago, buckstopper said:

Thanks. I have been licenced as an age grouper for the last 2 years after taking a hiatus. I decided to enter a non UCI/CSA approved gravel/road event taking place end of April. (BTW CSA did in 2020 already need club membership for a racing licence. My understanding is that riding in such an event is a contravention of the licence terms. So I opted to go sans licence until after this event, at which point I may resume my former licence status, or not. 

It’s been a while that CSA said one doesn’t need to belong to a club, but that was only for membership. The racing licence has been attached to a club for a long time. I know because I’ve been approving/declining applications through the club since they went the online route.

Most of this is SASCOC driven. If they (CSA) want funding, they have to comply to the SASCOC rules. 99.9% of us won’t go to the Olympics, so have something for the minority and let the rest just ride their bikes.