Opinions please - This is a great topic IMO

RobertWhitehead

I recently acquired a 26er carbon dual mtb frame with a tapered headset.  I also just need to note that this bike will be going to a friend who's just starting off. He currently rides a 26er dual but this one is a bit too small for him. So based on this I need some suggestions please. 

The tapered headset is opening a whole world of possibilities for the build and this is where I would like to hear what your opinions are: 

• Keep this frame a standard 26er and maybe increase the travel up front.
  • Make a mullet with a 650B in the front and a chunky 26er (whatever the frame can handle in the rear). Just note the frame wont take a 650B in the rear.
  • Make it a 69er - Business in the front and party in the rear 😁.

Your valued input and banter will be much appreciated. I may not use your opinion but you never know :oops:

69er is reserved for..... anyhoo

Personally I would leave it as the good bike lord intended. 26er all round with no changes in geometry. Especially for a new rider. Maybe I'm a purist. 

26" means older bike and it probably has a "steep" head angle.

A full 69er will slacken the head angle a bit and kinda bring it in line with modern geometry.

Check the number of course.

The big wheels up front will also eat lumps and bumps a bit more than 26/650B.

Edited by Eldron

10 minutes ago, Eldron said:

26" means older bike and it probably has a "steep" head angle.

A full 69er will slacken the head angle a bit and kinda bring it in line with modern geometry.

Check the number of course.

The big wheels up front will also eat lumps and bumps a bit more than 26/650B.

Technically - fully agree that the 26/650B combination may potentially benefit the ride feel on trails.

Financially - it is an old bike, minimal value ... any costs towards this mullet conversion would be difficult to recover later ....

The main drawback of a longer travel fork and bigger front wheel would be lifting the BB height and stand-ever height.  A high BB will feel less stable.  Maybe a compromise - 27.5 fork with 100/120mm travel...

It’s easy to think that raising the front with a larger wheel will give desirable geometry changes (ie slacker head angle and higher stack), but remember that it’ll also slacken the seat tube and raise the bottom bracket, both of which are probably undesirable. I’m with @Steady Spin on this one.

Also, depending on who the new rider is, having to think about two different sizes of tyre, tube, and rim might be more than they should have to worry about at this stage in their journey.

Rather buy a slightly longer travel 26er or 27.7 fork and run 2 same size wheels.

BUT, in reality, I think you're overthinking it.

A tinker bike is rad for a tinkerer, but for a normal person, especially a noob who doesn't really understand everything properly yet, it's a pain. 

As you built it, this pain will likely be your problem as you made it so!

650b in front and the fattest rubber you can fit in the rear will make the wheel size difference small enough to almost not notice.

Just keep in mind that every bit you lift in the front slackens the seat tube putting your weight more over the rear which could affect climbing. 

On 3/18/2022 at 10:09 AM, Steady Spin said:

69er is reserved for..... anyhoo

Personally I would leave it as the good bike lord intended. 26er all round with no changes in geometry. Especially for a new rider. Maybe I'm a purist. 

7 hours ago, Nuffy said:

It’s easy to think that raising the front with a larger wheel will give desirable geometry changes (ie slacker head angle and higher stack), but remember that it’ll also slacken the seat tube and raise the bottom bracket, both of which are probably undesirable. I’m with @Steady Spin on this one.

Also, depending on who the new rider is, having to think about two different sizes of tyre, tube, and rim might be more than they should have to worry about at this stage in their journey.

6 hours ago, Jewbacca said:

Rather buy a slightly longer travel 26er or 27.7 fork and run 2 same size wheels.

BUT, in reality, I think you're overthinking it.

A tinker bike is rad for a tinkerer, but for a normal person, especially a noob who doesn't really understand everything properly yet, it's a pain. 

As you built it, this pain will likely be your problem as you made it so!

5 hours ago, Me rida my bicycle said:

650b in front and the fattest rubber you can fit in the rear will make the wheel size difference small enough to almost not notice.

Just keep in mind that every bit you lift in the front slackens the seat tube putting your weight more over the rear which could affect climbing. 

Thank you guys, you really made me realize that it is going to become an issue down the line if I make a 69er and he wants to upgrade and replace parts and and and. I think I am going to stick with a 26er