Alternative to Asics Running Shoe

breaker

Hey everyone, been a while. I have the 2 oceans half coming up so it might be a bit too late but thought I'd ask anyway. I have always been running in asics stability shoes. Currently in an end of life GT 2000 (7), i think the latest one is the 10. My question is what alternative shoe brands should i be considering. Always a tricky thing, as i only get the hang of a shoe after a few kms, so no try before you buy. 

Any recommendations? or should i stick with what works ie gt2000 10?

Hoka, Adidas, Saucony, Nike, On Cloud, Salomon, New Balance, Pivot and Run... you get the point.

Go to a proper running store, e.g. RUNStore in Cpt. Where about are you based?

Edited by Fisan

I'd get professional advice rather than put it to a forum. But FWIW.

I have a pair of GT2000 8's They are finished so they've been repurposed as trail running, dog walking, gardening shoes.

I bought a pair of Kayano 28's which are the more premium support shoe. They run hotter than the GT2000's and the toe box is narrower. Very happy with them but if I could rewind the clock I'd get the GT2000 10's

*disclaimer. I run 15-20km a week VERY slowly.

Edited by Duane_Bosch

I'm in a very similar situation and always used Asics stability shoes.  My GT2000 are also on there last legs.

I decided to try Hoka, got a pair of Arahi 6, their mild stability shoe.  So far so good, they are for sure softer and more comfy than the GT2000 but it is to early to give a conclusive verdict, only did 2 x 10km with them so far.

I don't think however they going to have the life of the GT2000 though.  There is a number of "nicer/softer" shoes out there, but for a lot of mileage like marathons/ultras, I still think Asics is the best.

Sure the new Nikes are probably awesome.  BUT the price tag :( !  and probably durability also not great.  For the elite sponsered runners, not an issue, but for us plebs, not so much.

Hope this help in some way  .... :)  

Edited by TheoG

Thank you for the advice everyone, yep will be popping into the runct store and sportsmans ronderbosch on saturday, to see what "their" run analysis machines says respectively.

I switched from ASICS, the brand that I have supported since 2010 to a pair Mizuno Wave Revolot shoes (they were on sale on Takealot for 50% less). Given my budget constraints as a student, the Mizuno shoes are pretty good IMO. Replacement ASICS were way too expensive . 

"There is what is perfect and then there is what is possible" - CMPG311 Database design textbook. 

Hi, I can`t comment on stability shoes as I run in a neutral shoe but for me New Balance is the most comfortable shoe I have ever run in and I am getting up to 2000KM in a pair. If you buy a older version you can save up to R1000.

3 minutes ago, Clint S said:

Hi, I can`t comment on stability shoes as I run in a neutral shoe but for me New Balance is the most comfortable shoe I have ever run in and I am getting up to 2000KM in a pair. If you buy a older version you can save up to R1000.

I tried New Balance many years ago on the recommendation of a podiatrist.  They were very good but didn't last for me, maybe I'm to fat/heavy compared to you 🙈.  I got a lot better duty cycle from Asics.

Edit:  That was many years ago, maybe in the meantime they improved their durability.

Edited by TheoG

Lol, My mate is running in the same shoe as me (The NB 1080) and he only gets 400-500KM from his 100KG body. I am 70KG so I guess running style and weight pays a big role.

I can confirm what @Clint S said. I weigh 80+ kg and run more than 50 km a week on average for the past 5 years or so. During October 2021 I jogged 65 km in one go and regularly jog more than 20 km in a session. I never had any problems with my New Balance shoes. I get more than 1000 km on each pair and use the 880 and 680 depending on the distance. Last week I got a reminder from Strava that I have done more than 1800 km in the current pair and that it may be time for new shoes.

When the shoes are retired from running they are used as daily casual shoes since their soles and uppers are still in very good condition. Very comfortable to run in and very good value for money. 

The stability equivalent of the 880 is the 860.

2oceans is in what, two weeks? 

Best to stick to what you know. 

But let's be honest, it's only 21kms. Don't over think it. There will be someone in the start chute with you with borrowed shoes. 

Yeah not planning on PBs for the 2 oceans half, im thinking and will be happy with a 2.30-2.45. Just want to be comfy.

I have been running in Gt2000 for over 30 years.  Think they were called GT 2120 or 2170 or soemthing like that.

I heavily pronate and need a stability shoe. .  I do about 3 x 10km a week also not very fast . I always think i want another lighter faster sexier  shoe as i swear i feel like i get slower with every run. but im old now so who cares.

Never been injured so as they say if it aint broke dont fix it.