Hatchback bike carrier/transport solution

Fossilfoxx

3 hours ago, Kameel said:

I used to have one of those hanging clip on racks and I despised it. Sure it worked well hauling the bike around town for whatever the reason is, but I had constant issues with it driving on the highway going on holidays (usually a 5hr trip on the N2). And this was only one mtb on a 'three' bike carrier.

No matter how many additional straps I used (through the wheels, frame and rack) the bike just wouldn't stay completely put. Die fiets wapper nogsteeds in die wind op 120km/hr man. One time the rubber holding strap tore and the bike came loose as well.

Yes I fixed it properly each time. Yes I still had anxiety looking in the rear view seeing the bike dangling somewhat when riding on the highway.

Pulled the trigger and got a roofrack setup - definitely worth the money, no issues anymore. Blood pressure down to normal.

Thank you @Kameel. Which did you end up getting? I saw on another thread @ChrisFmention not to get the Thule wingbar, although those seem to be the only ones that would fit the ST (from some light reading I did on their site).

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

For clarity ... 😋

We got these for the RAV4 Screenshot_20220416-120157_Chrome.jpg.0a95ab2fe2ba9140291105f4166a101a.jpg

The following are also called Wingbars by some sites...

Screenshot_20220416-120252_Chrome.jpg.5c9d47c81b1f2b5559da7e8ac89b7e15.jpg

Screenshot_20220416-120306_Chrome.jpg.695e038774fee04a61ec007a8fee0015.jpg

The latter two could be paired with footpacks for re.use on the next car.

The first one can only be used on a car with roof rails at the same width as the previous RAV4.

Thus the latter two is more future proof.

EDIT ... The Thule site uses the term Wingbar for the first type, and SmartRack for the last two.

Screenshot_20220416-121109_Chrome.jpg.3455eb9f3c209424f19a63a91464296a.jpg

Edited by ChrisF

1 hour ago, Fossilfoxx said:

Thank you @Kameel. Which did you end up getting? I saw on another thread @ChrisFmention not to get the Thule wingbar, although those seem to be the only ones that would fit the ST (from some light reading I did on their site).

So according to @ChrisF 's latest post, I got the 'smart rack', in other words the bars with detachable 'feet' (footpack).

My car has rails and I got the Thule bars as a gift a while ago. So then I just got the Thule 757 footpack separately.

After that I got two Thule proride bike racks.

If you know exactly what you need and look around on the hub and even FB you might pick up good 2nd hand deals on these, still in excellent condition. I saved a lot taking this route.

So one fine year at K2C on the Saturday afternoon before the race a chap pulls up in his ST with his bike hanging on the hatch. He was belting it from Cape Town that morning and as he parked beside me I noticed his rear tyre was melted. The exhaust was right behind it and cooked the rubber during the ride. I am confident that poor oke never participated in the race.

Just something to consider when traveling with a bike on the back.

3 minutes ago, Robbie Stewart said:

So one fine year at K2C on the Saturday afternoon before the race a chap pulls up in his ST with his bike hanging on the hatch. He was belting it from Cape Town that morning and as he parked beside me I noticed his rear tyre was melted. The exhaust was right behind it and cooked the rubber during the ride. I am confident that poor oke never participated in the race.

This applies equally to platform racks.

Friends transported their bikes on a platform rack, mountec on a SUV through Namibia .... stones kicked up by the rear wheels did some damage to carbon rims ... 😵

Good idea to stand back and look at what your bike carrier does on the back of your vehicle .... some combinations dont work well ...

19 minutes ago, Robbie Stewart said:

Ouch. 

I'm heading to my nearest Thule partner on Wednesday with the ST to get the correct specs for the rack (I'm struggling to decipher the codes on their website), and will then try to convince my wife that I only need one kidney. Or save up (but that takes time, and I want to take the bike with me next week 🙈). Or cook the budget.

18 minutes ago, ChrisF said:

This applies equally to platform racks.

Friends transported their bikes on a platform rack, mountec on a SUV through Namibia .... stones kicked up by the rear wheels did some damage to carbon rims ... 😵

Good idea to stand back and look at what your bike carrier does on the back of your vehicle .... some combinations dont work well ...

With the ST's exhaust located centrally, towbar and the accompanying rack is not an option. Also, I reverse park everywhere (quicker to get out), so thought with the hatch mount, that would be less of an issue length-wise, but then with the hatch mount accessing the boot on a trip becomes an issue - necessity when travelling with a 5-year old, so I've pretty much settled on the roof rack (seems more versatile as well for loading other things, and @OVERDRIVE's comment about the trolley sealed it 😁).

Coming up with the money for all of this now will be the stroke of genius.

Sidebar: I got told this morning I need to choose-cycling or photography (both expensive). Decisions, decisions. 

23 minutes ago, PregoRoll said:

804-bonesex-2-bike_black_0546_2000x2000.progressive_718779e8-611b-4259-aaa5-56e9f4ae0332.webp.16af3d463c753423e50fbe2aed41cabe.webpSaris Bones 3EX will work, Dog leg arm will clear the boot spoiler, unlike other competitors

That looks the business but when it states 3 bikes it actually means 2. I have fitted 3 bikes to a hang-on rack on my BMW and on my wife's Mini and it is a nightmare to ensure nothing gets damaged once you start moving. You have to add 40 minutes to your morning just to load 3 bikes safely.

For the occasional rider, loading max two bikes I think it works but if you will be using it frequently it is a major hassle.

Edited by Rolf Hansen

21 minutes ago, Rolf Hansen said:

That looks the business but when it states 3 bikes it actually means 2. I have fitted 3 bikes to a hang-on rack on my BMW and on my wife's Mini and it is a nightmare to ensure nothing gets damaged once you start moving. You have to add 40 minutes to your morning just to load 3 bikes safely.

For the occasional rider, loading max two bikes I think it works but if you will be using it frequently it is a major hassle.

Have you fitted 3 bikes to this Bones 3EX? Or are you referring to another brand? 

We have a lot of clients using it without issues. Some bikes may need some protection pads in a few areas but otherwise no issues. 

11 minutes ago, PregoRoll said:

Have you fitted 3 bikes to this Bones 3EX? Or are you referring to another brand? 

We have a lot of clients using it without issues. Some bikes may need some protection pads in a few areas but otherwise no issues. 

No not to the Bones 3EX. The problem is the spacing between the bikes, not the design. FOr obvious reasons it cannot be made "longer" and herein lies the problem.

The newer gen Thule clip on carriers are quite decent, having 4 rigid steel mounting straps, rather then a collections of tie down straps that need to be adjusted every time. Most hanging types are a bit tricky with 2 and most certainly with 3 bikes on the back.

If looking at roof racks, another slightly more affordable option over Thule is Holdfast. I've been very happy with the set I have fitted to my Polo, though have never used them to carry a bike.

1 hour ago, Alouette3 said:

The newer gen Thule clip on carriers are quite decent, having 4 rigid steel mounting straps, rather then a collections of tie down straps that need to be adjusted every time. Most hanging types are a bit tricky with 2 and most certainly with 3 bikes on the back.

If looking at roof racks, another slightly more affordable option over Thule is Holdfast. I've been very happy with the set I have fitted to my Polo, though have never used them to carry a bike.

Roof racks are great and all, but have a few downsides, 

Remembering bikes on the roof

Higher fuel consumption (Just my roof bars with no bike added over 1L/100km

If you are short it can be a mission getting a bike up there

Wind noise, my lefty whistles like a school kid on tuck shop day when going over 70kmh

despite all the downsides, I still prefer having my bikes on the roof vs on the back of my Fiesta

This bike rack solves all your travel pains. No more worrying about where to pack all your things. You'd have enough space for bikes, toys, paraphernalia, bags, groceries, the kitchen sink and even your wife and 5 y.o.

I have one myself, and I do not regret my choice of bike rack at all. Yes, mine is the previous model, but there's nothing wrong with it.

image.jpeg.2dc93b70adbcae601adc699b684e7a8e.jpeg

1 hour ago, Robbie Stewart said:

This bike rack solves all your travel pains. No more worrying about where to pack all your things. You'd have enough space for bikes, toys, paraphernalia, bags, groceries, the kitchen sink and even your wife and 5 y.o.

I have one myself, and I do not regret my choice of bike rack at all. Yes, mine is the previous model, but there's nothing wrong with it.

image.jpeg.2dc93b70adbcae601adc699b684e7a8e.jpeg

Just the licensing and insurance on that over the next three years will be more than the Thule roofrack setup. But the fuel, tyres and wear and tear will probably less than his ST. Oh and don't forget that a bakkie is pretty useless without a canopy.