Best value for money budget HR/GPS watch

Slick Nick

39 minutes ago, Hilton. said:

I have both the Garmin Edge 130 (with heart rate belt) and Forerunner 55. Both give me almost identical heart rate averages and HR maxes. I used to think the watches were much less accurate, but seems they've improved a lot recently. This is with Road and Mountain biking.

Lots of recommendations for the FR 45. The 55 is the newer version, and it's still going for R3000, while the 45 is often just under R3k. Almost identical though, with one or two extra features on the 55. I can highly recommend it.

With the Forerunner watch vs the Edge bike comp, the main advantage is that I can also use it for running (obvs) and squash, or any other sport. And get daily steps :)

Edit: Looks like it's gone up recently, the FR55 is now abour R3500. If that's a bit much, I think you'll be happy with the FR45.

s-zoom.file

My 735XT is also accurate relative to me using a strap with another unit. I posted the info here.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank You ALL this has been very helpful. Also now considering just a bike computer given the one hubber’s input. All in all I’m 90% decided. Cheers!

On 4/26/2022 at 6:50 AM, Slick Nick said:

Thank You guys for the advice thus far - VERY helpfull. Keep ‘em coming please I’m taking notes.

Can't beat the value of a 2nd hand Garmin Edge 130. Period.

Eek - didn't read. Watch, I'd probably go for a 2nd hand Garmin 935. Same spec but cheaper than a Fenix 5. Can expand later into swimming if you want to. You should get one at way less than R5k.

Edited by M L

On 4/26/2022 at 8:01 AM, Fisan said:

Samsung? Had that problem when I got a new watch. There's a phone setting where you reset all your network connections (you lose all saved bluetooth devices and wifi connections). That sorted it out. Quite a common problem for Samsung and Garmin devices.

I had this with my previous Samsung.  Latest Samsung was a seamless transition.

I don't wish the connection issue on my worst enemy. Its the reason I switched to Samsung after having iphones forever. I just couldn't get my 945 to stay connected and I haven't had a single issue in the almost 2 years since switching. 

(And I know most people have never had an issue with ios but that didn't help me)

• 2 weeks later...
17 hours ago, mapeterpan said:

Polar Vantage M2

https://www.sportsmanswarehouse.co.za/product/polar-vantage-m2

Bike/Run/Swim, absolutely awesome. Battery lasts about a week and it is super accurate (even on a treadmill). And I think with Healthy Gear benefit you can get like 20% off on it...

Devices Up to 75% if you also have a discovery bank account…but 50% if you reach your fitness goals for a few weeks and have done your health assessments ect and don't have a bank account. - we’re  on diamond though so not sure how it scales on lower tiers.

sports gear 25% + every month with goals reached. 
this all excludes discovery miles bonuses, which can also be added.

Hrm on their own don’t count for gear..you need to bundle it with a device. The watches should get full benefit though since they are all in one.

Edited by MORNE

On 4/26/2022 at 12:59 AM, Rolf Hansen said:

I have had my Huawei GT2e for close on two years now and I love it. 

Battery lasts around 2 weeks and I can play music from it on my Bluetooth headphones while riding. This works well for me as I usually don't carry my phone while riding.

It really is an amazing watch for the money. Currently R2 499 from Huawei and this includes a Huawei Smart Scale - https://consumer.huawei.com/za/wearables/watch-gt-2e/buy/

@Rolf Hansen wow. never considered this as a rival to the big outdoor brands.

that is a lot of bang for buck. what sort of battery life do you get while riding?

38 minutes ago, Shebeen said:

that is a lot of bang for buck. what sort of battery life do you get while riding?

Unfortunately that is a little hard for me to say as my riding is not very well scheduled and I have not yet done a specific test to check.

I will do a test over the weekend and let you know.

48 minutes ago, Shebeen said:

I get about 2 weeks between charges on my GT2e, ride about 6 to 8 sessions in those 2 weeks which is around 20 hours total. It gets down to about 30% in that period before I charge it up again. 

On 4/26/2022 at 9:30 AM, lechatnoir said:

is this a universal thing that happens to all Garmin users?

No, my Instinct has never done this, but when my wife's Forerunner 45S went flat, it needed a reinstall of the Garmin app to work again.

I bought a Garmin Forerunner 45 a couple of months ago; ended paying something like R700 for it with Vitality and some vouchers I could buy with the points. 

I'd happily do it again, but I'd buy the 55. It uses a universal quick-release strap, unlike the 45 and the software is different. 
Upgrade would either be an Instinct or an older Fenix. I'm a fan of the Garmin app and ease of use, and I haven't had any issues with connectivity. 

There was a thread on Vital just a week or two ago and a lot of guys said they use Amazefit watches and are super happy. 

OK I'm ready to pull the trigger after doing my due diligence (bloody time I know).

So took the initial advise to consider the old-school Polar V800 and managed to find a near perfect example on the hub which the fellow hubber sent to me without any collateral to check out if it's what I want or return if not. (Kudos to Greg Kappers of KAMBRO COTTAGES from Graaff Reinette You're the man!)

The V800 is awesome but has no wrist based HR monitor and its very bulky on my arm so I will be passing on it.

I then got a great deal from my local Solomans on a FORERUNNER 45S (R2500.00) which would've been the one I was going to buy and then get the addition HR strap so I can fit the watch to my MTB bike when I came across a clearance sale from my local Totalsports on a POLAR VANTAGE M - R2 249.95, brand new!

Final Question - Forerunner 45S or Polar Vantage M? My need (not greed - Garmin Phenix 7!) is wrist based HR and pairable with HR strap so that watch can be transferred to MTB handle bar.

Simplistic functions, I really don't need more functionality than what the FORERUNNER offers.

Thank You ALL it's been a great learning curve!

Cheers!