MTB SHOES

David Moloko

Hi all

Kindly advice I just bought mtb shoes from cycle lab ( Got The Legs shoes) however I realised that I need to buy new pedals and cleats in order to be able to ride with my new shoes as they were slipping from my old pedal. 

Cycle lab suggested 2 options Ryder SPD pedal elite and Marvel duo rippers but I saw Ryder dual pedal elite. 

Please advice which pedal is best for my bike and feet. My bike is Avalanche Reflex Pro no upgrades.

Do I need special way to insert the cleats because I see under my shoe there are 4 holes but cleats has 2 holes. Then 2 screws at the front of the shoe which I don't understand what are they for please see attached

Thanks, 😊 

16530357906793562344797341114310.jpg

Were you looking for a basic shoe that you can use on a flat pedal? 

Or, are you looking to switch to the clipless system? 

I suggest you take your bike to cyclelab. Buy the cheapest pedal. Get them to fit the pedal and the cleat onto your new shoes.

If you ever want to remove your pedals, remember that the left pedal has a left hand thread.

Hi 

I was looking for a cycling shoe just for proper grip so I thought buying cycling shoe will be best option. Unfortunately we don't have a nearby cycling shop, so I ordered online only to find that I need to change the pedals. 

While on that if you can advice of advantages of clipless and clip on. Thanks

1 minute ago, amac said:

I suggest you take your bike to cyclelab. Buy the cheapest pedal. Get them to fit the pedal and the cleat onto your new shoes.

If you ever want to remove your pedals, remember that the left pedal has a left hand thread.

Hi Amac thanks for the reply however where I live there are no bike shops only bought the shoes online.

4 minutes ago, David Moloko said:

Hi Amac thanks for the reply however where I live there are no bike shops only bought the shoes online.

Okay. Order the cheapest pedals. They will come with cleats.

Remove the existing pedals. The right side is easy. The left side has a left hand thread so you loosen by turning the bolt right. Fit the new pedals.

Take the cleats and screw them into the front holes of your pedals. Then pull the cleats as far back as possible. Then tighten the screws. Make sure the cleats are straight..  On some shoes you may find it necessary to twist the cleat slightly toward the big toe side of the shoe.

Then, before riding look at the pedals. You will notice an allen headed screw at the back of each side of the pedal. Loosen it as much as possible. You will do this on both sides of each pedal.

Before riding practice unclipping. Lean against a wall and twist your ankle outward. In the beginning it seems tricky but soon becomes second nature.

We use cleated pedals so our feet do not slip off the pedals. When you get used to being clipped to the pedal, it is much more comfortable than riding flats.

2 minutes ago, amac said:

Okay. Order the cheapest pedals. They will come with cleats.

Remove the existing pedals. The right side is easy. The left side has a left hand thread so you loosen by turning the bolt right. Fit the new pedals.

Take the cleats and screw them into the front holes of your pedals. Then pull the cleats as far back as possible. Then tighten the screws. Make sure the cleats are straight..  On some shoes you may find it necessary to twist the cleat slightly toward the big toe side of the shoe.

Then, before riding look at the pedals. You will notice an allen headed screw at the back of each side of the pedal. Loosen it as much as possible. You will do this on both sides of each pedal.

Before riding practice unclipping. Lean against a wall and twist your ankle outward. In the beginning it seems tricky but soon becomes second nature.

We use cleated pedals so our feet do not slip off the pedals. When you get used to being clipped to the pedal, it is much more comfortable than riding flats.

Thank you I will try and do that hopefully it won't be as bad as I think. Much appreciated 

3 minutes ago, David Moloko said:

Hi Rorydewet I live in Volksrust

If you were closer I can donate a pair of pedals & cleats.  If you dont come right let me know, can maybe send via Postnet.

Return the shoes to them and order a pair of shoes from Trailtech Cycles specifically for flat pedals. 

Leatt makes a few options that will work. 

Personal and unpopular opinion: Clipless is not worth the money and effort unless you are pushing big miles, race, or you feel that attaching your feet to a pedal will give you more confidence. 

6 minutes ago, amac said:

I don't agree with you at all there. Correct technique combined with the right pedal and shoe gives you more than enough grip to not slip off a pedal. As for comfortable... subjective. 

Just now, Steady Spin said:

I don't agree with you at all there. Correct technique combined with the right pedal and shoe gives you more than enough grip to not slip off a pedal. As for comfortable... subjective. 

Its a matter of personal preffernce.  I'm with @amac, I'm so used to ride clipless that I cant even imagine riding with flats.

If you're doing long non technical rides on gravel roads, clipless (where you're connected to the pedal) might be better, but for learning how to control a mountain bike with proper technique flats are probably better. The decision should be on what your riding will be.

Google clipless vs flats for more info

Just now, TheoG said:

Its a matter of personal preffernce.  I'm with @amac, I'm so used to ride clipless that I cant even imagine riding with flats.

I'm all for personal preference but stating that clipless is used to prevent feet from slipping off a pedal isn't 100% correct. Like me saying "I use flat pedals so I don't fall over every time I stop"

2 minutes ago, Steady Spin said:

Return the shoes to them and order a pair of shoes from Trailtech Cycles specifically for flat pedals. 

Leatt makes a few options that will work. 

Personal and unpopular opinion: Clipless is not worth the money and effort unless you are pushing big miles, race, or you feel that attaching your feet to a pedal will give you more confidence. 

Thank you I will look at that much appreciated for your input