[Event] Theuniskraal MTB and Trail Run 2022, Tulbagh

Jorrie

52 minutes ago, milky4130 said:

So who won it? how did the mtb race go? where can I find the results? Thanks

Dominic Calitz should have won, was about 3min in front at last water table...but unfortunately missed a arrow that we think was driven over. Cobus Marais won in the end with Jacques Jordaan 2nd and Dominic within seconds 3rd. Results at webscorer. Think we had about 110 total riders which was more than we anticipated for our first try, had lots of positive feedback so think the potential is there to make it a nice event in the future. Might move it to a warmer time of year.

11 hours ago, Jorrie said:

Dominic Calitz should have won, was about 3min in front at last water table...but unfortunately missed a arrow that we think was driven over. Cobus Marais won in the end with Jacques Jordaan 2nd and Dominic within seconds 3rd. Results at webscorer. Think we had about 110 total riders which was more than we anticipated for our first try, had lots of positive feedback so think the potential is there to make it a nice event in the future. Might move it to a warmer time of year.

Ah Dominic is super strong, what a bummer regarding the arrow. Thanks for the feedback, yeah I reckon if a different should yield more entries me personally coming all the way from Cape Town would not want to only come to the area for 1 day only. I think you had quite a bit of events going on this past weekend? so accommodation also becomes a problem for some people.

Its just sad how much it cost these days to host such an event, I felt R450 for the 45km was a bit on the high side, but for anything less at around 100 riders you're not gonna break even. I can't see Tulbagh getting much more riders during this time of year so as much as everyone enjoyed the event I'm not convinced it will be feasable in the future.

11 hours ago, milky4130 said:

Ah Dominic is super strong, what a bummer regarding the arrow. Thanks for the feedback, yeah I reckon if a different should yield more entries me personally coming all the way from Cape Town would not want to only come to the area for 1 day only. I think you had quite a bit of events going on this past weekend? so accommodation also becomes a problem for some 

Yes, with the Christmas in winter going on, accomodation is a huge problem...I'm playing with the idea of maybe doing something like Esselfontein where the whole family camp on the farm while you do 2 or even 3 days of riding...think April/May will be a nice time of year.

1 minute ago, Jorrie said:

Yes, with the Christmas in winter going on, accomodation is a huge problem...I'm playing with the idea of maybe doing something like Esselfontein where the whole family camp on the farm while you do 2 or even 3 days of riding...think April/May will be a nice time of year.

Talking of Eselfontein .... many do the 3 day event.  And still many can only do Saturday and/or Sunday.

Saw the same at Trans Augrabies.

The number of day riders certainly helps the total entry tally.

Both of these events had good attendance, but still short of pre.covid numbers.

Please hang in there, let's hope next year sees normal numbers.

PS .. do consider charging facilities for ebikes when arranging accomodation on the farm.   For better or worse this is a reality for events.  Eselfontein even had a station for charging cell phones.

7 minutes ago, ChrisF said:

Talking of Eselfontein .... many do the 3 day event.  And still many can only do Saturday and/or Sunday.

Saw the same at Trans Augrabies.

The number of day riders certainly helps the total entry tally.

Both of these events had good attendance, but still short of pre.covid numbers.

Please hang in there, let's hope next year sees normal numbers.

PS .. do consider charging facilities for ebikes when arranging accomodation on the farm.   For better or worse this is a reality for events.  Eselfontein even had a station for charging cell phones.

Thanks Chris, good advice, yes they're here to stay, it gets more people on bikes which is a good thing.

@Jorrie I also think if you market it proper for example "come and ride some of the trails as ridden by the Cape Epic in 2021" then it will likely attract the numbers. 45kms is not enticing for many folk who has to travel far, so maybe a longer distance as well i.e. 65-80km option? route marking needs to be faultless, try not to clash on the same weekend as other more established races, yes I know we are never going to please everyone but ideally not on the same weekend or same day.

Edited by milky4130
Spelling

Get your Event Partners involved maybe sponsor some cash that can help with costs to reduce the entry fees? Perhaps offer a couple of free entries in a social media competition (Facebook, Instagram, Twitter) that help spread the word.

4 hours ago, milky4130 said:

@Jorrie I also think if you market it proper for example "come and ride some of the trails as ridden by the Cape Epic in 2021" then it will likely attract the numbers. 45kms is not enticing for many folk who has to travel far, so maybe a longer distance as well i.e. 65-80km option? root marking needs to be faultless, try not to clash on the same weekend as other more established races, yes I know we are never going to please everyone but ideally not on the same weekend or same day.

By the same reasoning ....

Most busy events have three rides...

1.  10 to 15km for the youngsters and newbies.

2. The 30 to 40km race pack

3. The 60 to 80km ride for the rest.

Every so often I do "1" with our 11 year old.  On my own I enjoy the 50 to 80km rides.