JA-Q001

Electric era in cycling  

92 members have voted

1. 1. Are you embracing the new Tech

• Yes, I have no range anxiety
    • No, give me cable

5 minutes ago, Jbr said:

That is absolutely not true.

ESP does allow you to accelerate faster, ABS does not allow you to brake faster, it allows you to brake more safely if you have no idea what you're doing.

Most race cars and race motorbikes can't be competitive with ABS on, but are faster with a proper traction control on though

4 Channel ABS will beat any person in straight line braking on tarmac. On some surfaces like ice ABS is less effective than just locking up your tires. 

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

17 minutes ago, Newbie321 said:

4 Channel ABS will beat any person in straight line braking on tarmac. On some surfaces like ice ABS is less effective than just locking up your tires. 

On any surface, there is no ABS today that will stop you better than someone who knows what he's doing. Maybe one day...

Can't say for sure on cars as I have no clue.

12 minutes ago, Jbr said:

On any surface, there is no ABS today that will stop you better than someone who knows what he's doing. Maybe one day...

Can't say for sure on cars as I have no clue.

1 hour ago, Newbie321 said:

but on a racetrack good drivers wants a certain levels of slip to enable them to get around the corners quicker and therefore they dont have ABS, think trail braking on a bike, similar concept.

Everyone seems to focus on the great performance and ease of use of electronic shift groupsets, which is cool. However, planned obsolescence and the right to repair is also a thing. 

I fear that the manufacturers pull a John Deere or Apple and force you to use certain "approved" technicians for repairs. Your LBS might not be one on the list and now they have to break TOS and try to "jailbreak" your components to fix your bike and you end up losing your warranty on an expensive groupset. See John Deere and Apple for examples of this. 

Another example from Apple, is the new MacBooks' SSD and RAM are soldered onto the motherboard, and can therefore not be replaced. These are wear components as an SSD has a finite number of read and write cycles, especially when you render large video or graphics files. So if your SSD dies, which it will at some point... You must buy a new R25k laptop instead of just popping in a new SSD for R1000. Apple also pairs phone screens and other components on their iPhones, so switching them out is a pain.

It isn't just Apple and John Deere that do stuff like this, they are just the first examples that come to mind, with a Google search, I am sure you can find plenty of other examples.

Next is maintenance, can I still get firmware updates after 5 years? Will the App that comes with the groupset still work in a few years, and must I have it to update the firmware? Do I need an internet connection to ride my bike now?

14 minutes ago, KatjieStewels said:

Everyone seems to focus on the great performance and ease of use of electronic shift groupsets, which is cool. However, planned obsolescence and the right to repair is also a thing. 

I fear that the manufacturers pull a John Deere or Apple and force you to use certain "approved" technicians for repairs. Your LBS might not be one on the list and now they have to break TOS and try to "jailbreak" your components to fix your bike and you end up losing your warranty on an expensive groupset. See John Deere and Apple for examples of this. 

Another example from Apple, is the new MacBooks' SSD and RAM are soldered onto the motherboard, and can therefore not be replaced. These are wear components as an SSD has a finite number of read and write cycles, especially when you render large video or graphics files. So if your SSD dies, which it will at some point... You must buy a new R25k laptop instead of just popping in a new SSD for R1000. Apple also pairs phone screens and other components on their iPhones, so switching them out is a pain.

It isn't just Apple and John Deere that do stuff like this, they are just the first examples that come to mind, with a Google search, I am sure you can find plenty of other examples.

Next is maintenance, can I still get firmware updates after 5 years? Will the App that comes with the groupset still work in a few years, and must I have it to update the firmware? Do I need an internet connection to ride my bike now?

you are of course welcome to stop using your Apple Macbok and buy Massey Ferguson tractors? Thing is people dont becuase the days of options are long since gone for most of the populace. Even though I know how to go under the hood of a PC i have no inclination to do it.